Marlowe

I've always like Marlowe I loved being at the Mich. St. game and seeing him almost score on a jet handoff out of the wildcat. I think he's got reliable hands too and is a great 3rd down target. Turner is good and should be on the field but, more development isn't going to hurt him any. I'm sure we'll see him break some big plays in the second half of the season.

Still on the topic of WR. Senior Tim Marlowe is a heck of a player. With my Alma Mater (Georgia), we have a guy (Michael Bennett) similar to Marlowe in role -- fantastic possession wide receiver who makes all the catches when your team desperately needs it. Sadly Bennett is down with an ACL (this Tuesday), and I hear Marlowe is trying to recover from an injury to return during Big Ten play. Those players' value can't be described, and the fans quickly see their value!

However, staying on the topic of Jamal Turner -- my younger brother was asking this question about the development of other players behind center to assist the explosive Taylor Martinez. My brother was wondering about what coach Bo Pelini does to develop other QBs for 'the future' as he put it...? Those were good, very good questions --- I think.

Why hasn't there been some kind of way to work in Jamal Turner with a number of plays behind center just to give Martinez a break in case he takes a vicious hit -- or a slobber knocker -- as I have heard high school players I coached put it?

With Martinez having 13 rushes for 107 yards against Wiscy, it just seems like a no-nonsense idea to allow Turner to be an explosive playmaker and run QB out of the pistol.

He could give Martinez a breather - and race 30 yards down field while running the zone-read option play. Then, Martinez would resume the drive.

Can anyone imagine how that would have helped Martinez against UCLA after T-Magic went 92 yards for a score against the Bruins?

I would like to see the coaching staff invest in these ideas with Turner used as a QB to run zone-read option plays once or twice a game to help with the flow of the offense and to give T-Magic breathers during a physically tough Big Ten game.

Turner has got skills. I don't think this will work with the slower Ron Kellogg III -- as RK3 is just a passer. And T-Mart does a great job of passing the ball, so you don't want to bring RK3 in.

With Tommy Armstrong redshirting, we should create a QB role for Jamal Turner! He's an explosive runner! I hope someone can spread the word on this idea.

I remember when Alabama had that explosive football team in 1999 that won an SEC championship going 10-3. Andrew Zow -- who was mobile -- was the starter. However, WR Freddie Milons was so explosive that Bama used him at QB about three plays a game. Milons went wild.

I am pretty sure that Turner would go wild too. And you can't use true frosh Armstrong for this role because he is redshirting. Instead, let's use Turner!

Well, the thing is, you'll never know if you do not try them out.

I mean, what can it hurt for Jamal Turner to come in and run the zone read option play out of the pistol -- and gain five yards? He will then come out of the game.

It might be just the rest T-Magic needs to be able to finish off the UCLA Bruins. It takes imagination to create a complete football team.

You have to work with your kids as a coaching staff. You have to make believers out of them.

If you never give them shots, you'll never find out. It's that simple.

Dollars to donuts Marlowe is back at NU in coaching role if the NFL doesn't work out.

Takes a lot of time, grinding and dedication to land a coaching job, especially with NU. On top of that, money is basically non existant. Ask Ganz. He has been an intern for a while, and still no shot for him landing a coaching job (from what I have heard so far).

Ganz is already a coach bro. He's a paid Graduate Assistant in charge of making Taylor Martinez into a more lethal weapon.

To me there is a big difference between a GA and a coach lol.

I think you are selling GAs way short, Marrow might beg to differ. Ganz is the QB coach, heck he spoke at a Big Red Breakfast.

Our quarterback is a legitimate dual threat qb. We do not need any wildcat tricks anymore. Those gimmicks are already in the past anyway. We're fine with T-Mart taking 100% of the snaps. But yes, Turner is a talent, and I feel we're gonna see a little more effort to get him the ball in the coming weeks.

But that's the point totally!

T-Magic is a huge part of the attack. If Martinez goes down to -- let's say, a Tim Tebow concussion late season -- then what?

RK3 cannot run the full offense of Nebraska like T-Magic. He lacks the foot speed.

And if this happens late season or extreme late season (rules out Tommy Armstrong/redshirting), then you better make use of that athlete WR/QB Jamal Turner. That's why he was recruited.

We are setting ourselves up for disaster if we don't come up with some kind of better plan to address pure depth behind T-Mart. RK3 is a passer. If Jamal Turner is in at QB, then it's a race to the endzone! Man, he was recruited for this reason -- and he'd be there to help out T-Magic in the same kind of way in which Martinez wins games --- with his feet.

Martinez' 38 yarder was a thing of explosion this past Saturday. Don't you want more of that?

As a fan, that's what I have always enjoyed most about Nebraska football besides such a rich tailback tradition.

T-Magic is a huge part of the attack. If Martinez goes down to -- let's say, a Tim Tebow concussion late season -- then what?

RK3 cannot run the full offense of Nebraska like T-Magic. He lacks the foot speed.

And if this happens late season or extreme late season (rules out Tommy Armstrong/redshirting), then you better make use of that athlete WR/QB Jamal Turner. That's why he was recruited.

We are setting ourselves up for disaster if we don't come up with some kind of better plan to address pure depth behind T-Mart. RK3 is a passer. If Jamal Turner is in at QB, then it's a race to the endzone! Man, he was recruited for this reason -- and he'd be there to help out T-Magic in the same kind of way in which Martinez wins games --- with his feet.

Martinez' 38 yarder was a thing of explosion this past Saturday. Don't you want more of that?

As a fan, that's what I have always enjoyed most about Nebraska football besides such a rich tailback tradition.

Turner is a WR. Now shh.

First of all. Who isn't a K. Bell fan?

The only logical situation to have Turner in the wild cat is if Martinez would go down and RK3 would be QB. We would then use Turner in the wild cat since we would have a QB that isn't that big of a running threat.

I honestly don't understand why a team would run the wild cat when you have a true dual threat QB. It makes no sense to me.

You have a lot of terrible ideas.

Guys, you all aren't thinking ahead. You're all focused on the right now with everything unfolding nicely after five games. What if injuries occur after game eight or so at the QB spot? Again, I don't think that Armstrong will want to burn his redshirt, and who could hardly blame him after he's missed an entire season practically?

Working with Jamal Turner right now, developing a few plays with him in this way --- and all of a sudden, you have a little extra depth at what your offense can do. If T-Magic goes down, then Nebraska is set in this hypothetical scenario as RK3 and Turner could manage the QB duties to help Nebraska win the final games of its regular season. Kellogg III would be the passer while Turner could rush in and take over Martinez' running plays in the playbook. If they work with him in this way in early October, then Turner the burner is ready to step in later in the season when he's needed.

Is there no imagination on this blog? I think it's a sign of wisdom to plan ahead -- and what appears to be gimmick-like can actually be seen as a way to ready another mobile QB just in case there is a need for one down the road.

Why limit the offense? I thought the Nebraska offense was predicated upon a mobile QB anyway, and that coach Bo Pelini was returning NU to its roots offensively and away from the pass happy version that coach Callahan offered.

Having two ready mobile QBs was a way of life during the Osborne administration. Here are some of the examples from Dr. Osborne's years as a head coach. I'll show you:

1982: starter - Turner Gill; backup - Nate Mason (explosive athlete)

1983: starter - Turner Gill; backup - Nate Mason (ditto)

1985: starter - McCathorne Clayton (fast); backup - Steve Taylor (very fast)

1988; starter - Steve Taylor; reserve - Mickey Joseph (fast)

1989; starter - Jerry Gdowski (athletic); Mickey Joseph

1990; starter - Mickey Joseph (fast); co-starter Mike Grant (relatively fast)

1991; starter - Keithen McCant (fast); backup - Mickey Joseph

1992; starter - Tommie Frazier (very mobile); backup - Mike Grant; reserve - Tony Veland (4.5 40)

1993; starter - Tommie Frazier; backup - Brook Berringer, backup - Tony Veland (4.5 40)

1995; starter - Tommie Frazier; reserve - Frankie London (4.5 40)

1996; starter - Scott Frost (fast); backup - Frankie London

1997; starter - Scott Frost; backup - Frankie London; reserves - Eric Crouch and Bobby Newcombe

My point is, we had plenty of speedsters available to operate the up-tempo, explosive backfield that never gave out via attrition or whatever. Coach Osborne's offense was a fine tuned, high scoring operation that even Oregon coach Kelly would be envious of if the past with Osborne were happening today.

My ideas are not terrible ideas. I just remember a glorious past for NU.

Simply put, Martinez goes down, we pull Armstrong's redshirt. This has been said before, but Armstrong is too good to waste a year under his belt to be Martinez's mop up guy. Kellogg I think would do fine for a game. The guy knows the plays, knows the defense, can throw and is built to run and take a hit. You saw one pick this year, and it was a miss route by the WR, who is was a 4th string.

If worst case scenario came down, and it was towards the end of the season when Martinez went down, they won't pull Armstrong's redshirt and they would just run Burkhead out of the wildcat with the mixture of Kellogg. They have a very smart system, and have thought about the "what ifs".