Eichorst Press Conference

JTrain

His PC wasn't a rah rah one but I liked what I saw. He seems like a good guy and intelligent. He doesn't seem like the type that will come in and change things drastically. Just pretty much build on the good things of Nebraska.

I'm interested in seeing how he develops the hockey program going forth for D-1. I think this is something he could be a major player in and be able to put his stamp on Nebraska lore.

http://www.stationca...&c=991&f=767041

^ Somewhere in there is a Sam Mckewon segment (he only comes on maybe 10 minutes into the segment) where he is eventually asked, and provides very good answers about Eichorst. Calls him a serious, no-nonsense guy. Says he'll take a sit back and see, sort of hands-off approach, which he liked. Suggested the eval of the football program will be on every Husker fan's mind but probably won't be something we'll get too much out of him on for a while. Said he did the Q&A better than the introductory speech. Said he said all the right things about Bo, Tom Osborne, etc.

That speech was a little awkward. I can tell this guy is all business, but he isn't very funny. He cracked a few jokes -- but nobody laughed. Which was really awkward. Not that they weren't funny ("As you'll see shortly, I've outpunted my coverage with my wife."). But he said them, and dead silence. That had to take him aback.

Key note: Bo Pelini was not in attendance, expressly against Sam McKewon's orders! :) Kidding on that, but it was a good suggestion on Sam's part, and a notable omission. Tom Osborne was in attendance.

http://www.stationca...&c=991&f=767041

^ Somewhere in there is a Sam Mckewon segment (he only comes on maybe 10 minutes into the segment) where he is eventually asked, and provides very good answers about Eichorst. Calls him a serious, no-nonsense guy. Says he'll take a sit back and see, sort of hands-off approach, which he liked. Suggested the eval of the football program will be on every Husker fan's mind but probably won't be something we'll get too much out of him on for a while. Said he did the Q&A better than the introductory speech. Said he said all the right things about Bo, Tom Osborne, etc.

That speech was a little awkward. I can tell this guy is all business, but he isn't very funny. He cracked a few jokes -- but nobody laughed. Which was really awkward. Not that they weren't funny ("As you'll see shortly, I've outpunted my coverage with my wife."). But he said them, and dead silence. That had to take him aback.

Key note: Bo Pelini was not in attendance, expressly against Sam McKewon's orders! :) Kidding on that, but it was a good suggestion on Sam's part, and a notable omission. Tom Osborne was in attendance.

Thanks for the recap!

Wasn't Bo doing his B1G conference call or something? I thought I read somewhere that he had something he couldn't get away from, it's not that he just didn't feel like showing up.

Wasn't Bo doing his B1G conference call or something? I thought I read somewhere that he had something he couldn't get away from, it's not that he just didn't feel like showing up.

This is correct, per my understanding.

Did someone say hockey?

It will happen, much to UN-O's chagrin. If you do it right, hockey can be a revenue sport, and it would further endear us to our B1G brethren who are starting a B1G hockey league. Plus, since there is women's hockey, as long as you field the women's side, there are no Title IX problems AFAIK.

Another thread regarding hockey:

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/58006-another-reason-nebraska-needs-div-i-hockey/

And I think we had one more discussion about it as well somewhere along the line. But like I said there, I'm thinking new sports likely won't happen at least until we are 'fully vested' in our share of money from the B1G. Once that happens, I could definitely see it as a strong possibility. But then, with Eichorst, maybe if we see a nice bump in revenue from basketball as part of the arena opening next year (along with volleyball likely making enough to pay for itself and at least make a small contribution to the athletic department after their move next year) maybe that will be all the incentive they'll need to do it.

Regardless, Eichorst's words were good to hear, and what I think people needed to hear from him. Someone that will come in and keep the tradition of the institution, and not try to 'put his stamp on it' as it were. I think he'll fit in fine here. Probably the only question will be if/when BA retires, will he move there? But I'm just glad to have him here right now.

I thought more notable was that Eichorst has been there a couple days and "keeps missing" Bo Pelini. Isn't that one of the first people you meet? I don't care how busy either of them are, I find that very odd. Bo should have made the time to meet his new boss and/or Eichorst should have made the time to meet with Bo, the current head of the most important aspect of his new job. Suspect this probably has something more to it.

Here are a few questions that Shawn fielded in a Sharpe interview. I like his comment about the newspapers. I think putting a plug in for them is his way of trying to strengthen the relationship to those media outlets. Good for him.

I thought the media asked him some really tough and stupid questions following his statement at the presser. Why he didn't act like a child and verbally berate them and resort to trite, one word responses is beyond me. Oh...because they were just doing their job and he prefers to be a grown up and represent the university in a positive manner? Interesting concept. :rolleyes:

I thought more notable was that Eichorst has been there a couple days and "keeps missing" Bo Pelini. Isn't that one of the first people you meet? I don't care how busy either of them are, I find that very odd. Bo should have made the time to meet his new boss and/or Eichorst should have made the time to meet with Bo, the current head of the most important aspect of his new job. Suspect this probably has something more to it.

Eichorst did say he met Bo in the coach's meeting and had nothing but positive things to say about Bo overall, and that he looked forward to building a relationship with Bo.

However, yes - I did find it interesting, that he threw that line out there about missing each other "narrowly" a few times. Perhaps it was to deflect media questions that were bound to come up and keep anyone from criticizing Bo. Or perhaps, as (I think?) McKewon seemed to suggest, it was an opportunity to say something more politically nice and excusive about Bo, but instead he passed it up and shot from the hip. McKewon did say Eichorst was very real, not PC, in his answers and that they all appreciated that.