Something I heard on 1620 this week...

The first quarter looked awesome for our defense. That tells me we have the "potential". What I noticed is that after Miller busted the 80 yarder, our attack mentality went out the window. It seems the coaches and players asses sinched up after that one play. They never recovered from that.

Why is that?

I saw this as well. Some people are saying that Urban Meyer made adjustments to what we were doing, but that's not what I saw at all. He probably did to some degree, but our blitzing really slowed down after Miller's first big run.

The best way to slow or stop a good running QB is to get in the backfield and slow him down before he gets started, and then swarm to the ball. We did that for the first 3 or 4 series on defense, and it worked. Then we stopped. And we got our asses handed to us.

I thought it looked like Meyer was trying to get his passing game going in the first quarter. We snuffed out the plays so quickly sometimes it was hard to tell if they were actually passing or if it was a designed run for Miller. If the latter, that seems to be a good case for getting at a mobile quarterback before he can get started. Miller is so shifty it's hard to tackle him one-on-one once he gets going north south. Same story with Robinson and Colter. I think after the first quarter Meyer decided practice time was over and turned Miller loose.

I still like to watch the Big 12 games over B1G. Maybe it's the quality of football being played or the familiarity of the teams. While watching the Big 12 offenses and seeing the quarterback dropping back I still think our defense would do OK (but not great) against them. The spreads in the B1G with mobile quarterbacks is a different animal and I don't think Bo has figured them out yet. The lack of talent isn't helping. I'm looking forward to NW game to see what adjustments he has made during the bye week. If it's the same mush rush, getting gashed on cutback runs and not accounting for the quarterback, I'll be disappointed.

I think T-Mart should start if he is our best option even if it is not perfectly clear. He has the most experience and if he faulters then pull him if we have a back up ready (which we better have). I also think that T-Mart is a VERY awkward QB. He has really fast straight line speed can juke at times, but has horrible decision making skills on the fly. Such as sliding when and How, or whether to pitch it or keep it NOT decisive at all. Or when he gets flushed out of the pocket and he doesn't know if he should run, throw it away, pitch it forward to make a play, and while all this goes through his head he fumbles throws a pick. He has gotten ALOT better this year than the few years before, but he still just isn't confident enough about what HE can do to command this offense. I hope he gets better and is able to start next year but if Armstrong is better then he better start. And, for the people that will say it takes time he was young(even I said this a time or two). Most true QB's even when they are true Freshmen have way more swag about themselves. You can see the way they hold themselves that they are going to be a good leader. This is Confidence and this is what Martinez is missing better but still not there.

• Fire 1

Next year I don't see why they wouldn't want to challenge his starting job, the competition would benefit everybody.

Defense and turnovers are our problems. If the defense can't string together some 4 & outs Martinez becomes less effective as a runner, which leads to turnovers in the passing game.

Blaming Martinez for last week is absurd. I don't know many college QBs that can win a game, while the defense gives up 5 TDs, on 5 straight drives. Only one of those drives were gimmies (INT) the rest they had to move the ball a far amount.

The competition is always there, and he could lose his starting job anytime, if there was someone capable of taking it. There are a couple reasons Armstrong is not starter. One being he might be mentally ready, and have the capabilities of doing great things with the ball, but I am sure he still needs help with reading defenses, what to watch for, know when to change things, and learn the environment of the collegiate level. Learn to know when to keep it, toss it, take a sack and get rid of the ball. Understand how to execute at a new level of football. There are more things than coming in, taking a snap, running or throwing. The problem is, there is no one who is a threat. As long as he keeps performing, he can and will show the younger class what to do.

Next year, Armstrong is eligible to play. He is this year, but red shirted, and no sense in burning it. Martinez will most likely start, but I am almost sure, if Armstrong shows the intangibles and he is the man to do the job. That is one thing I can honestly say about Pelini, he is not afraid to put someone on the field he feels can and will do a better job. Look at Zac Lee for example, the Chase Rome incident this year. Even the Aaron Green issue, with putting Braylon Heard on the depth chart before him.

Huskermac the NU qb is a loser. It all begins there. All other change is a waste of time until taylorina is gone

I reported you to the mods, not for being a dumbass with your "analysis" (which you obviously have no clue) but for being an a-hole. We don't trash our players like this, especially when you're entirely wrong. Take your grade school insults and get the f#*k out of here.

• Fire 1

Huskermac the NU qb is a loser. It all begins there. All other change is a waste of time until taylorina is gone

Who the hell are you? Obvoiusly you got wrong idea about this board. sh#t like this does not go down here. Leave, though you probably have no choice. Your obvious trolling as probably earned you a record fast ban. IP BAN BITCHES.

I reported you to the mods, not for being a dumbass with your "analysis" (which you obviously have no clue) but for being an a-hole. We don't trash our players like this, especially when you're entirely wrong. Take your grade school insults and get the f#*k out of here.

Agreed, we may not see eye to eye on the Taylor issues, but the kid definitely has heart and wants to win, nobody on this team is a loser in the end.

has anyone read a newspaper quote the last three weeks? apparently not!

apparently heart is defined by avoiding contact at all costs and 'hook sliding' even though he's supposedly a "running quarterback"?!

heart is turning the ball over on multiple occasions in EVERY meaningful game he's played! he's a born loser! the facts support it....it's not an opinion.

once NU loses to NU tomorrow, the "we can make the Rose Bowl" farce will go right out the window.....but i am sure he'll find a reason that it wasn't his fault, and stuff! the offense played awesome vs. Ohio State, we scored 38 points...but gave the Buckeyes 21 free ones too!!

run along....

has anyone read a newspaper quote the last three weeks? apparently not!

apparently heart is defined by avoiding contact at all costs and 'hook sliding' even though he's supposedly a "running quarterback"?!

heart is turning the ball over on multiple occasions in EVERY meaningful game he's played! he's a born loser! the facts support it....it's not an opinion.

once NU loses to NU tomorrow, the "we can make the Rose Bowl" farce will go right out the window.....but i am sure he'll find a reason that it wasn't his fault, and stuff! the offense played awesome vs. Ohio State, we scored 38 points...but gave the Buckeyes 21 free ones too!!

run along....

Seriously?

We would be nowhere near as good as we are if we didn't have Martinez as QB this year. He does make mistakes at bad times, but to question his heart is moronic, and shows an individual's lack of awareness. He made a lot of plays in the 2nd half of that Ohio St. game, and he was the one who led us back against Wisconsin this year, and Ohio St. last year. Is he RG3, or Andrew Luck? No he isn't, but he is more then qualified to be a D-1 QB, and I'm happy he is on our team.

I don't have a problem with fans questioning his play, but it takes a "born loser" to question the character of an 18-22 year old kid, and says a whole lot about the character of those fans...

• Fire 1

Martinez kept fighting in the Ohio St game. Yeah, he created some turnovers....but he still fought back and helped NEB put up points. It looked like to me he wanted to win that game.

Do you want to see atrociousness and not playing very hard....go back and watch the tOSU punt return for a touchdown. I remember watching it being like, "do they even want to tackle someone?" It looked like a complete lack of effort on special teams during that play.