B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Woody...Do you think UNC will go any where without NCST? I have read that they are tied at the hip along with everyone on Tobacco Road.

Absolutely,

And NCST would stab UNC in the back in 3 seconds.

The goal of the SEC is to get UNC and stop in Carolina. Just like the Big Ten the goal is to expand in new markets otherwise they would be taking the much,much better football schools in Clemson and FSU.

You have to realize that NCST while being benefited by UNC running the ACC show(playing in Greensboro for the ACCCG,etc) they don't actually hold the power in the conference. UNC/DU and UVA are the ones who hold the power and Wake/NCST just benefit from their decisions.

So a lot of these state schools do NOT act in harmony and are from different worlds,essentially. Exactly why you see UVA and UNC tied together in these rumors because UNC has more in common with UVA than NCST.

And you have this ideal littered across the south that you don't have most anywhere else. UF & FSU are in different conferences as are CU &So Carolina, GIT & UGA and even VPI & UVA were separated.

It seems as long if both land on their feet in good conferences no one will fight. If UNC were to go to the Big Ten then the SEC would 100% take NCSU(they want that market). The problem is that if UNC goes to the SEC then the Big Ten would NEVER take NCSU. THAT is where the fighting comes in because the SEC, I believe, will not add two NC teams and NCSU will find themselves out of a conference and into the Big East(which might die before it all transpires)

So....That turned out to be a little long. But I really see this as the Big Ten and SEC playing risk while everyone else just sits by and watches their conferences get torn apart.

People will try to blame this expansion garbage on the Big Ten but we just got a top-10 program all time to try to get to 12(no one would have passed that up)

Obviously people felt 16 was in order back then but the majority of the blame lies on the backs of the SEC(for going to 14!), the Big XII(for not getting their sh1t straight and playing favorites) and the ACC for poaching the Big East ( Miami, VPI, BC, Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, ND,etc) for the past decade.

The Big Ten is just being ahead of the game and protecting themselves. If that makes us filled with "Greed" and "Avarice" then so be it.

They started it, we're just finishing it.

• Fire 2

If the first drop is GTech (sounding more and more like it all the time, with FSU to the Big XII sounding like it will happen almost in sync with it), and UVA drops first, do we expand past 16 to get UNC? Sounding like that possibility is there, especially without knowing what's going to go down with PSU and the Clery Act. (I don't think the Feds would drop a ton of bricks on PSU, and basically kill them academically, but when it comes to those types of allegations... tough to know what will end up shaking out). But even if we end up just getting UVA and GTech, I'll take that. Would definitely make for a good expansion round to 16. Also makes the taking of Rutgers and Maryland first much more palatable (and I'm a supporter of those moves, just not sure those were 13 and 14 type moves, more like 15 and 16 to round out, but whatever, if they're going to be there, not sure it matters when the shoes drop).

If the first drop is GTech (sounding more and more like it all the time, with FSU to the Big XII sounding like it will happen almost in sync with it), and UVA drops first, do we expand past 16 to get UNC? Sounding like that possibility is there, especially without knowing what's going to go down with PSU and the Clery Act. (I don't think the Feds would drop a ton of bricks on PSU, and basically kill them academically, but when it comes to those types of allegations... tough to know what will end up shaking out). But even if we end up just getting UVA and GTech, I'll take that. Would definitely make for a good expansion round to 16. Also makes the taking of Rutgers and Maryland first much more palatable (and I'm a supporter of those moves, just not sure those were 13 and 14 type moves, more like 15 and 16 to round out, but whatever, if they're going to be there, not sure it matters when the shoes drop).

You know I agree with you about Rutgers and Maryland in terms of being sexy picks but It was necessary to get the cold war paranoia going on in the ACC.

Maryland to break the original ACC member schools and the gateway to dixieland with Rutgers following was necessary so that the ACC didn't just counter with getting Rutgers. They settled for a Southern/Midwestern school in Louisville with mediocre academics. The whole elitist aspect of the ACC(eg. UNC, DU and UVA) are now associated with L-Ville(I know that just annoys them) when they could have had WVU very easily last time( they kept them out because of the academic fit)

I think the next move is either from Clemson, GIT or FSU.

UNC and UVA will try to hold out for as long as possible to save their precious ACC since they are the kingpins. UNC knows they are valuable and they will be listening in the meantime. UVA has an inflated sense of worth. They will land on their feet most likely but the SEC probably wouldn't mind adding VaTech over UVA if they have to.

Reading on the GT boards, they think ND will follow as #16. I don't see it happening.

Reading on the GT boards, they think ND will follow as #16. I don't see it happening.

Agreed. While I don't think Delaney would necessarily refuse ND, I think the conference has moved on at this point. Maybe, if the opportunity presented itself and the conference goes to 20 at some point, but not at 16. Just not seeing it, and I'm not seeing ND agreeing to it.

Woody, yeah, wasn't thinking about the 'destabilizing' factor. Probably should have thought/seen that.

Sounds like the scuttlebutt is that Georgia Tech is #15 already...

Sorry if this was already posted--didn't see it, but in all honesty, I'm sicker than a dog right now and not seeing stuff straight.

And if this is legit, I do think that the next logical move for #16 is North Carolina or Florida State.

As for FSU to the Big XII...that would be a bigger mistake than staying with the ACC, as the Big XII's 20 year TV deal will be handily outpaced by the B1G and SEC, and FSU is back in the same boat they're in now.

Also, who said the B1G will stop at 16?

Sorry if this was already posted--didn't see it, but in all honesty, I'm sicker than a dog right now and not seeing stuff straight.

And if this is legit, I do think that the next logical move for #16 is North Carolina or Florida State.

As for FSU to the Big XII...that would be a bigger mistake than staying with the ACC, as the Big XII's 20 year TV deal will be handily outpaced by the B1G and SEC, and FSU is back in the same boat they're in now.

If GT is #15 that says to me that the BIG will go beyond 16 to either 18 or 20. The ACC is going to fall apart if this happens. I think some schools (FSU, Miami, Clemson, VT) will go to the Big 12. The BIG will grab NC and Virginia to connect to GT and then ask ND one last time if they would like in. If not, I think the BIG gets to 18 with someone like Duke, Kansas, or BC. I'd love to Kansas for Nebraska's sake.

We might have just added one of the 5 best hs football states to the Big Ten footprint.

This might feel odd to most(and it does to me as well) but we need to expand the footprint if we are to remain relevant and not just as the "Big 2" like everyone says.

This opens up the south to the Purdues,the Iowas,the Wisconsins,etc more consistently

• Fire 1

A little late but for Thanksgiving I want to say I am thankful for being in the Big Ten where I never have to worry about not playing our rivals scUM, Illinois and IU at least semi-consistently because while I hate two out of the three we can at least be respectful towards one another and we value what the other schools brings to the relationship.

Looking at WVU and soon to be Clemson and FSU I will never take that for granted again. Feel bad for those fans though. They don't know anything about Big XII fans and they have nothing in common with people from Waco,TX.

If GT is #15 that says to me that the BIG will go beyond 16 to either 18 or 20. The ACC is going to fall apart if this happens. I think some schools (FSU, Miami, Clemson, VT) will go to the Big 12. The BIG will grab NC and Virginia to connect to GT and then ask ND one last time if they would like in. If not, I think the BIG gets to 18 with someone like Duke, Kansas, or BC. I'd love to Kansas for Nebraska's sake.

I agree. Georgia Tech is another "demographic move", IMO, though they do have a bit more competency when it comes to sports than Rutgers or Maryland. They'll need some more traditional power schools to make games worth watching. That's where NC or FSU come in.

Nebraska, you guys are like vets around here now lol no longer the new kids on the block

Haha, PSU is the new kid for two decades. Nebraska is the new kid for 3 years. In reality from the vibe around the league a lot of the fans adopted Nebraska as an equal and happy they joined a heck of a lot quicker than they did with Penn St.

I agree. Georgia Tech is another "demographic move", IMO, though they do have a bit more competency when it comes to sports than Rutgers or Maryland. They'll need some more traditional power schools to make games worth watching. That's where NC or FSU come in.

GT would be a good get for population, recruiting and invading SEC territory, NC would be much the same because I could see the SEC grabbing NC State if this all goes down. FSU would be even bigger because not only would it do the three things mentioned above, it would also take a huge target away that the Big 12 desperately needs for expansion. FSU would make a lot more sense if the BIG already had GT, NC, Virginia and Maryland in it. I still want a way to get Kansas in but if the ACC invasion continues I would be fine with it. I'd be more then happy seeing ND get forced to join what is left of the ACC into the Big 12 and see how they like Waco, Ames, Morganton and Manhattan. That makes me laugh just thinking about that.