B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Pardon me but I will take players receiving tattoos for selling their possessions over players who rape college girls. I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.

Your an old fashioned liar trying to exploit the suicide of a mentally ill girl who was never raped. Being an informed fan, you knew what you were saying and that it wasn't true.

To Huskers: this is why the Buckeyes are hands down the worst fanbase in America. Competitors like whoever threw piss at you out in the boondocks weren't really thinking hard, and thugU doesn't qualifiy because their 'fanbase' doesn't exist 95% of the time. But the sad part about Ohio is that he isn't too abnormal, and this kind of poo flinging has and always will be there.

Some of you keep Notre Dame #1 on your hate list, that's fine with us, we actually want it that way in the long run. But for many reasons, you'll soon find promote Ohio State to what they are, a big steaming #2.

Pardon me but I will take players receiving tattoos for selling their possessions over players who rape college girls. I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.

Your an old fashioned liar trying to exploit the suicide of a mentally ill girl who was never raped. Being an informed fan, you knew what you were saying and that it wasn't true.

To Huskers: this is why the Buckeyes are hands down the worst fanbase in America. Competitors like whoever threw piss at you out in the boondocks weren't really thinking hard, and thugU doesn't qualifiy because their 'fanbase' doesn't exist 95% of the time. But the sad part about Ohio is that he isn't too abnormal, and this kind of poo flinging has and always will be there.

Some of you keep Notre Dame #1 on your hate list, that's fine with us, we actually want it that way in the long run. But for many reasons, you'll soon find promote Ohio State to what they are, a big steaming #2.

I am sorry but you need to look at this objectively. ND fans talk crap all the time. They are no different than OSU and Michigan fans. Everyone needs to get off their pedestals.

lol

Anyway,

Ironic about the not being informed part.

I assume the Kimberly Dunbar stuff from the 90's is just conspiracy against wittle ole ND as well?

ND is a parasite school that I am very thankful will stay far away from the Big Ten. Don't need any selfish leaches who contribute nothing. At least Texas would bring something.

Back on topic.

Does this please FSU and Clemson and do they stay in the conference?

That's easy. No.

Remember the root cause/reasons for why FSU and Clemson are unhappy, Woody. They're being out-recruited and out-spent by the SEC at every turn. The current ACC TV deal doesn't come close to matching the exposure or money necessary to compete with not only South Carolina, Alabama, LSU and Florida, but now the dregs of the SEC, like Mississippi State and Vandy.

There's only one conference that can truly help them in the long-run, and it's the B1G. FSU's brass knows this, and they're not about to slit their program's throat by staying in the ACC or settling for the Big XII.

Louisville is a weak short-term play by the ACC that does nothing to address the long-term problems the ACC commissioner created by taking such a weaksauce television deal.

Why do I feel like we are forcing everyone's hand but at the same time grabbing the weaker schools?.... Probably because we are. Not a fan of these moves whatsoever.

If the B1G hadn't shaken the big 12 tree by talking to Missouri, Nebraska never would have fallen out.

BTW don't conflate schools with current football success. All of east coast schools being targeted by the B1G are by far the stronger Universities. The odds of the COP/C allowing entry to another academic outlier are beyond slim.

So you're saying that Rutgers and Maryland are stronger universities than Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State, & VaTech? I would argue not, but what do I know?...

Rutgers and Maryland ARE stronger Universities than all those except for Texas.

On what criteria are Maryland and Rutgers stronger universities than Texas, OU, & FSU?... Academics maybe, but when we are assembling a conference for athletics, we should rate athletics at the top. Texas, OU, FSU, and VaTech are all much stronger schools athletically than Maryland and Rutgers, which is what the B1G NEEDS. Otherwise, this conference will continue to slip into irrelevance.

But we are not doing it for athletics, we are doing it for new tv sets and money. Texas & FSU would bring a lot more new ones, don't know if it would be more then Maryland and Rutgers, but OU wouldn't be enough.

On what criteria are Maryland and Rutgers stronger universities than Texas, OU, & FSU?... Academics maybe, but when we are assembling a conference for athletics, we should rate athletics at the top. Texas, OU, FSU, and VaTech are all much stronger schools athletically than Maryland and Rutgers, which is what the B1G NEEDS. Otherwise, this conference will continue to slip into irrelevance.

But we are not doing it for athletics, we are doing it for new tv sets and money. Texas & FSU would bring a lot more new ones, don't know if it would be more then Maryland and Rutgers, but OU wouldn't be enough.

And academics *is* very important to the B1G--don't you remember all the talk about the CIC going into the B1G and what a boon it would be (and is) for DoNU?

The B1G, in spite of making moves to grab TV sets, still looks to make sure academics are a part of whomever they bring on. That's why FSU is in the mix and a "slam dunk" candidate like Nebraska--they're making serious strides to improve the academics at their school, and they're actively working towards AAU membership. The CIC could help them with both academic goals, and improve all of the schools in the conference. A rising tide lifts all boats...

---

As for Texass, yes, they're viable, but they have two (three?) things working against them:

-Location (they're far away from the B1G contiguous footprint, but so is FSU)

-Their historical inability to work well with other schools or conferences (e.g. the Big XII fallout, the LHN, scuttling the Pac-16 deal with Larry Scott...)

The LHN may be a thorn in the side, depending on how that shakes out. ESPN could re-purpose the LHN into something else and work it into the new B1G deal with ESPN...or depending on the number of new schools, it could become the second arm of the BTN (e.g. BTN East, BTN West...).

This is important because there are strong indications that the new round of discussions for TV rights between the networks and the B1G will have more second-tier games moved from ESPN to the BTN...but if there are more first-tier games available (e.g. Nebraska/Texass, Texass/tOSU, FSU/Nebraska, FSU/tOSU), then ESPN won't notice a difference, the BTN makes more money for the whole conference, and everyone's happy.

Why wouldn't OU be a big money add?

They play in a state with about 12 people but Dallas(a top 5 market) is just 3 hours away.

You are also forgetting that OU is a top-5 program all time with a fan base in the top-15.

Would love to get OU but then the situation with Oklahoma St arises. Would have to make room for them as well. I really don't think Ok St would be that bad a grab. Better than Rutgers or Maryland from an athletics standpoint.

Why wouldn't OU be a big money add?

They play in a state with about 12 people but Dallas(a top 5 market) is just 3 hours away.

You are also forgetting that OU is a top-5 program all time with a fan base in the top-15.

Would love to get OU but then the situation with Oklahoma St arises. Would have to make room for them as well. I really don't think Ok St would be that bad a grab. Better than Rutgers or Maryland from an athletics standpoint.

OU will never get in because of Diet Oklahoma but they would be a big money grab even with their state.

So you're saying that Rutgers and Maryland are stronger universities than Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State, & VaTech? I would argue not, but what do I know?...

Where did Texas suddenly pop up into the equation when you initially stated A&M?

That being said yes Rutgers & Maryland are stronger universities (you do understand the meaning of the word yes?) than any of the above save Texas (A&M is comparable). On what basis would you argue otherwise? Certainly not using any available metric.

The reality is that many in the COP/C were unhappy with the addition of Nebraska and we will not see another school that is such an academic outlier from other B1G schools be offered any time soon.

Oklahoma approached the conference sans Oklahoma State and was still turned away.

If the Longhorns wanted in the B1G they would already be a member. They aren't a possibility unless the LHN implodes and even then it won't be until after the GOR runs out.

Academics maybe, but when we are assembling a conference for athletics, we should rate athletics at the top. Texas, OU, FSU, and VaTech are all much stronger schools athletically than Maryland and Rutgers, which is what the B1G NEEDS. Otherwise, this conference will continue to slip into irrelevance.

The B1G has always been about more than just short term football success (which is what you really mean when you mean 'athletically').

You really want the conference to slip into irrelevance? Continue to targets schools in demographic wastelands like Oklahoma (or Nebraska). That's the death spiral that the Big 8 was trying to escape by bringing in the SEC refugees.

On a tangent...I've never understood why people think VPI is such a no-brainer when it's history is in stark contrast to the tenure of Frank Beamer. Using the same logic Kansas State was arguably a better choice than Nebraska.

BTW did a ND apologist just calls Ohio State fans fair weather?! killingme.gif

I'm telling you.....Rice and Texas.

Great academics(both AAU and Top-60 schools), Big markets(Houston, Austin, Dallas,etc),Great football(Texas), Great Baseball(Rice), decent Bball, top 3 recruiting state, etc

Not one downside because even if Texas and Rice get together they still can't form a coalition to trump the 14 Yankee schools.

Great academics(both AAU and Top-60 schools), Big markets(Houston, Austin, Dallas,etc),Great football(Texas), Great Baseball(Rice), decent Bball, top 3 recruiting state, etc

Not one downside because even if Texas and Rice get together they still can't form a coalition to trump the 14 Yankee schools.

Houston would be a better choice than the "Feisty Nightbirds" of Rice, IMO, but I see where you're going. I don't like the B1G being in bed with Texass on a personal level, but on a business level, it makes a lot of sense.

Also, one other factor against bringing on Texass--College Baseball. Unless Delaney is willing to change his mind on recruiting restrictions that hamstring the B1G and actually put effort into promoting the sport, that may be a non-starter.

Silly to say, but the 'Whorns do love them some college baseball. Hell, IIRC, they're one of the few schools that has baseball making revenue for the AD.

Houston would be a better choice than the "Feisty Nightbirds" of Rice, IMO, but I see where you're going.

Athletically? yes.

"Cougar High" as Texas fans will never get in because as arrogant as Texas fans sound by calling them that what do you think Northwestern and the University of Chicago will say about them coming into the Big Ten?

Rice is the only option we have in Texas since A&M left for the SEC. Baylor,Tech, UH, SMU or TCU will never be invited.