B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

The joke is on Notre Dame hahaa

Are you saying they won't enjoy their trips to Aimes, Manhattan, KS and Waco?

join the ACC only to have the conference collapse.

we didn't join it. We made a deal with them over the Big12, Pac12, or BigEast because the ACC offered the best one. If they can't hold their end of the bargain, we'll find someone else to work with to preserve our independence.

The joke is on Notre Dame hahaa

Are you saying they won't enjoy their trips to Aimes, Manhattan, KS and Waco?

join the ACC only to have the conference collapse.

we didn't join it. We made a deal with them over the Big12, Pac12, or BigEast because the ACC offered the best one. If they can't hold their end of the bargain, we'll find someone else to work with to preserve our independence.

There will be a time when you will be playing CUSA teams because of your independence. If all the big confrences go to 18 or 20, they will drop you guys for an in confrence game. It would be in ND best intrest to join before you get left out.

Woody, you seem to know a lot about this so I have another question?

I seen that the CIC wants its members to be contiguous or they will not except them. How will that work with us taking GT? If this is true, then I can see us getting UNC, UVA and possibly FSU. That would give us 18 and they would meet the CIC requirments for being bordering states.

I seen that the CIC wants its members to be contiguous or they will not except them. How will that work with us taking GT? If this is true, then I can see us getting UNC, UVA and possibly FSU. That would give us 18 and they would meet the CIC requirments for being bordering states.

I believe in the Big Ten bylaws it states that member states do have to be in a contiguous situation as well but we know that Texas has been in talks(not necessarily offered) with the Big Ten. I believe they would throw that out for the right school.

I definitely can see the 18 team league adding UNC, GIT and UVA while they wait for "you know who"(they want them, I don't) I just can't picture FSU in the conference. You can even make a case that UNC,GIT and UVA are Big Ten-esque schools in everything but location but FSU is different.

I think they would jump in a heartbeat for the Big Ten, not because they respect the Big Ten or love the idea of play us but because they won't ever get an invite from the SEC and they hate the idea of going to the Big XII and making much less money.

Woody, do you know how the typical OSU fan feels about having to play most of these expansion teams yearly? Unless the Big Ten expands past 16, OSU is most likely the 'power' school that will be put on the east division - most of the other traditional Big Ten members won't be affected as much as OSU.

I believe in the Big Ten bylaws it states that member states do have to be in a contiguous situation as well but we know that Texas has been in talks(not necessarily offered) with the Big Ten. I believe they would throw that out for the right school.

I definitely can see the 18 team league adding UNC, GIT and UVA while they wait for "you know who"(they want them, I don't) I just can't picture FSU in the conference. You can even make a case that UNC,GIT and UVA are Big Ten-esque schools in everything but location but FSU is different.

I think they would jump in a heartbeat for the Big Ten, not because they respect the Big Ten or love the idea of play us but because they won't ever get an invite from the SEC and they hate the idea of going to the Big XII and making much less money.

FSU isn't an AAU school either. My guess is they end up in the Big 12 with Miami and a couple of others. If the BIG is going to stick to AAU schools, then Duke is #18, or maybe Kansas. The more I think about it, if ND ends up anywhere after the ACC is depleted and the Florida schools join the Big 12, I would say that is where they end up since it gives them a better chance to get into Texas and Florida

If this all happens, the BIG could have years with half of the conference in the top 25 in basketball. The TV money for hoops with all those teams added is something that may be underestimated in all of this as well.

Woody, do you know how the typical OSU fan feels about having to play most of these expansion teams yearly? Unless the Big Ten expands past 16, OSU is most likely the 'power' school that will be put on the east division - most of the other traditional Big Ten members won't be affected as much as OSU.

As long as the scUM game is the last game of the season then there will be no problems. We haven't played Northwestern since 2008, We never play Iowa or Minnesota consistently. Would it suck not playing Illinois or Indiana consistently? yeah. But it's for the well being of the conference.

If they would just put OSU/scUM in the same division with PSU and the new schools, no protected crossover and 9 conference games then that would be the best scenario for OSU fans

West

Nebraska

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Illinois

Northwestern

Sparty

Turdue

this seems like a decent Western division. Nebraska and Wisconsin would be the best teams but Northwestern,Sparty, Illinois, Turdue and Iowa have had their moments.

comparing it to the East: OSU, scUM, PSU, RU, IU, UVA, GIT, UMD I think it is incredibly fair. PSU is on probation, The rest of the schools outside of the Big 2 have a combined 0 BCS bowl wins.

First tier:

Honestly when we're constrained to that list(and with few exceptions we are) the only splash would be if UNC and/or Texas joined.

Texas is Texas. I think everyone can agree they would be a good add since their political power is jack in the Big Ten.

I don't think people realize how bad the Big Ten & the SEC want UNC. They are the signature public University of the southland and both commissioners are making their pitch.

So I think that would be the dream scenario. Both. If we can get one I won't complain.

You don't know Texass. This is the EXACT reason why Texass will NEVER join the B1G

Absolutely,

And NCST would stab UNC in the back in 3 seconds.

Remember UNC & NCST share the same board of governors. They are not going to be split up unless it is a mutual decision.

Haha, PSU is the new kid for two decades. Nebraska is the new kid for 3 years. In reality from the vibe around the league a lot of the fans adopted Nebraska as an equal and happy they joined a heck of a lot quicker than they did with Penn St.

That's because Husker fans actively wanted to be equal members in the gang. PSU fans wanted to be treated like they were European nobles come to enlighten poor savages out on the frontier.

Did you get that info from the post on Shaggy Bevo? That was the first time I had ever seen such a claim so I have some serious doubts as to it's validity. Why in the world would the CIC care about contiguity?

As long as the scUM game is the last game of the season then there will be no problems. We haven't played Northwestern since 2008, We never play Iowa or Minnesota consistently. Would it suck not playing Illinois or Indiana consistently? yeah. But it's for the well being of the conference.

If they would just put OSU/scUM in the same division with PSU and the new schools, no protected crossover and 9 conference games then that would be the best scenario for OSU fans

West

Nebraska

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Illinois

Northwestern

Sparty

Turdue

this seems like a decent Western division. Nebraska and Wisconsin would be the best teams but Northwestern,Sparty, Illinois, Turdue and Iowa have had their moments.

comparing it to the East: OSU, scUM, PSU, RU, IU, UVA, GIT, UMD I think it is incredibly fair. PSU is on probation, The rest of the schools outside of the Big 2 have a combined 0 BCS bowl wins.

That would absolutely suck for Nebraska. I don't see one team on there that I would get excited about playing, other than maybe Wisconsin. It would be like playing in the Big12 North again, the only difference being in the Big12 North we still had either, OU or Texas on the schedule and also A&M every two years. In this sort of division, the only way we ever play OSU, UM or PSU is in the CCG game. Hope to god they don't do this!

Is it a forgone conclusion that in a 16 team conference, a pod system would be set up so that all teams would play each other on a fairly regular basis?

I wouldn't say so...if you do nine-game conference seasons, then you can do seven in-division games, and two crossover games. It's not ideal, but pods probably aren't ideal either until you get to, say, 20 teams.

Delaney has already said as much back when he got us in 2009-2010--it was part of the comment that also set up the need to expand in a more Southern direction.

As important as academics and the CIC are to the B1G, Delaney is the one leading the march here, and the CIC would quickly march to his fife and change if necessary.

Is it a forgone conclusion that in a 16 team conference, a pod system would be set up so that all teams would play each other on a fairly regular basis?

I would think so. IMO, you would have a setup like this: (assuming GaTech and UNC are the final 2 additions)

Division 1:

Nebraska

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Division 2:

Illinois

Northwestern

Purdue

Indiana

Division 3:

Michigan

Ohio State

Michigan State

Penn State

Division 4:

Maryland

Rutgers

North Carolina

Georgia Tech

With this setup, each team would play the other 3 teams from their division and 2 teams from each of the other 3 divisions, making a 9-game regular season, while also rotating and being able to play every team in the conference regularly just as it is done now.

Edit: Changed up the divisions to keep tOSU & Michigan together and also Nebraska & Wisconsin. It makes for a crappy division with Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and Northwestern, but it's probably how it should be.