B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

While I tend to take the approach that anything is possible, and anything can be negotiated, I would have to think Kansas is a longshot purely on the logistics of negotiating out of a Grant of Rights from essentially a position of no power. Only thing B1G might be able to bargain for is if a school that is attractive enough might be coming along, and the B1G would guarantee not to go after the school in exchange, but that seems very tenuous. But I've learned to never say never in the realignment game.

And thanks, mmg. Just wanted to kind of give people the sources I kind of use that are off the beaten track. Or at least... the most beaten track.

Another interesting thing to ponder. If the Big East blows up, as it looks like it may be getting ready to do, would Rutgers come early? As in, next year? I have to imagine that the B1G leadership has at least put some thought into that possibility. Would be interesting. If the seven schools that don't play FBS football do what's rumored today, you'd have a bunch of Western schools signed on for next year that might be really iffy really quick. You'd only have three schools from this year that would have been playing next year in the Big East - UConn, Cinci, and USF. Leaves those three in limbo fairly quickly. And UConn is VERY undesirable to several of the football schools in the ACC, supposedly, but you also have to believe that ESPN would be pushing like everything to get them an invite, or all of a sudden have legislators in their home state breathing down their neck. Would that add all of a sudden bust the realignment dam in the ACC? Next 24, 48, 72 hours, especially if the Big East schools make their move today, will be very interesting.

While I tend to take the approach that anything is possible, and anything can be negotiated, I would have to think Kansas is a longshot purely on the logistics of negotiating out of a Grant of Rights from essentially a position of no power. Only thing B1G might be able to bargain for is if a school that is attractive enough might be coming along, and the B1G would guarantee not to go after the school in exchange, but that seems very tenuous. But I've learned to never say never in the realignment game.

And thanks, mmg. Just wanted to kind of give people the sources I kind of use that are off the beaten track. Or at least... the most beaten track.

Another interesting thing to ponder. If the Big East blows up, as it looks like it may be getting ready to do, would Rutgers come early? As in, next year? I have to imagine that the B1G leadership has at least put some thought into that possibility. Would be interesting. If the seven schools that don't play FBS football do what's rumored today, you'd have a bunch of Western schools signed on for next year that might be really iffy really quick. You'd only have three schools from this year that would have been playing next year in the Big East - UConn, Cinci, and USF. Leaves those three in limbo fairly quickly. And UConn is VERY undesirable to several of the football schools in the ACC, supposedly, but you also have to believe that ESPN would be pushing like everything to get them an invite, or all of a sudden have legislators in their home state breathing down their neck. Would that add all of a sudden bust the realignment dam in the ACC? Next 24, 48, 72 hours, especially if the Big East schools make their move today, will be very interesting.

Rutgers showing up early was always a possibility, as is Maryland if they and the ACC settle quickly and out of court, which I think will happen soon. As soon as Maryland and the ACC get squared away, the B1G may have more than two teams joining sooner than expected.

As for Kansas, I don't believe that their signing away third-tier rights to the conference is so different than what the other inferences have done in the ACC, B1G, or (now) the SEC, that they can't get out from under it. If anything, it's another exit fee to buy the rights back.

Heard an interesting tidbit today--you know how Fox Sports (the cable arm) is quietly putting together a Big XII network, sans-Texass? Apparently the TV numbers for this year weren't exactly in the Big XII's favor, and their only signifigant ratings victory came the night of our title game drubbing (Texass vs. Kitties). Funny, that losing Houston, KC, Denver, and their second and fourth-biggest ratings draws will do that...

...Anyway, Fox and ESPN are quietly telling the Big XII they have to do one of two things-- either go big in expansion (which is hard to do when you have the fourth-best hand at the table and there are only one or two big pieces left to capture), or they need to go hat-in-hand and get some of these pieces back that they lost, or things like their attempt at a network won't come to fruition. Of course, Texass is against the later, but the other schools are listening and may be willing to act in spite of what Bevo says.

The BigXII's grant of rights pertains to 1st and 2nd teir rights. Leaving each school to retain their 3rd teir rights so they can create BevoTV and have nobody watching. This has a value of $200 million and is more difficult to negotiate in court than a exit fee.

Kansas is off the table for the next 12 years.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2012/dec/07/deeper-look-big-12s-grant-rights-agreement-and-why/?football

The BigXII's grant of rights pertains to 1st and 2nd teir rights. Leaving each school to retain their 3rd teir rights so they can create BevoTV and have nobody watching. This has a value of $200 million and is more difficult to negotiate in court than a exit fee.

Kansas is off the table for the next 12 years.

http://www2.kusports...d-why/?football

Thanks. I misspoke earlier when I mentioned third-tier rights, so my apologies for that. I really need to quit posting late at night. :(

But this won't prevent Kansas from leaving if they want to, just like astronomical exit fees won't prevent ACC teams from jumping ship if they want to, who have all three tiers locked in with their conference, IIRC.

Kansas is very much in play, should they choose to be and should the B1G be interested, which they are.

You know I have to admit I'm becoming hooked on this conference expansion stuff. Hope it lasts all offseason again. I really curious to see what both the Big12 and Pac do.

It does make the off-season go a lot quicker, doesn't it? :)

"Sources at Cincinnati and UConn are under the impression, even if it's not known to be true yet, that the Big Ten will raid the ACC for two more schools -- North Carolina and Georgia Tech."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8771286/boise-state-broncos-discussing-staying-mountain-west-snubbing-big-east

Oh Delaney, you evil genius...

Delany+smile.jpg

• Fire 1

Local radio guy talking expansion - Boise St screwed itself. Then his thoughts on $ec expansion - they can pick who ever they want and to him the only logical teams to add are Kansas and Texass.

Texass ain't joining any conference unless they can run it. That rules out B1G and $ec

Obviously everyone wants Texas in their league and while Kansas would be a nice add to either the BIG or SEC there is no way they are more desirable then what North Carolina is to both the BIG and SEC. Basketball would be a wash between the two as would football but NC adds way more TV sets to the deal then Kansas would.