NU vs NU at wrigley field

If you want to make it a 'newer' type of trophy game, have the media departments make a deal that the winner gets to refer to themselves as NU until the next game is played, and the loser has to refrain until their team wins. No trophy needed--just naming rights for one year. :)

This could be extended to such things as the media guide, where all prior references to NU for the loser would have to be scrubbed, all online references for active, university-controlled sites would have to be changed, and the like.

Yeah...I could definitely get behind that. It would be unique, a little odd, and it would definitely irritate the losing fan base. Which is to say, people would not be apathetic about it. Nice idea! :thumbs

Thanks. Would like to know who to send it to at both DoNU and Northwestern to see if we could get a bit of traction on it.

This whole NU vs NU fight is dumb. We are in the Big 10 with 12 teams. That is much worse in my eyes its almost as bad as naming their University "Northwestern". Northwestern is not in the northwest part of Illiniois or the northwest part of the country. Its not even in the northwest part of Evanston. If they change their name to Northeastern Univeristy then I will start to listen to their " We are NU"

I give the Big 12 a pass only because they split the pot 12 ways. Texas gets 3 with everyone else getting 1. So its almost fitting.

They are called Northwestern because the founders started the Univesity for the people of the region that was once known as the Northwestern Territory. John Evans, whom Evanston is named after, was one of the founders in 1851.

wiki-wiki-what!!! :thumbs

Damn your facts.

:cheers I saw your post and agreed, "why are they called Northwestern?". So I had to do a little internet research (as in "Wiki"). You, sir, are the reason I know one more useless fact today... :P

Thanks. Would like to know who to send it to at both DoNU and Northwestern to see if we could get a bit of traction on it.

Nice man! Let me know if you get anywhere with it...I think that could definitely add a little needed edge to this game. NU (they won last year so gotta give it to 'em) seems kinda dangerous to me. The odds seem decent that they'll usually be saddled next to a big opponent for us, either the week before Mich, week after MSU, ect.

These guys make me a little wary. I hope we come out and punch 'em straight in the mouth. (As opposed to usual? :P)

This whole NU vs NU fight is dumb. We are in the Big 10 with 12 teams. That is much worse in my eyes its almost as bad as naming their University "Northwestern". Northwestern is not in the northwest part of Illiniois or the northwest part of the country. Its not even in the northwest part of Evanston. If they change their name to Northeastern Univeristy then I will start to listen to their " We are NU"

I give the Big 12 a pass only because they split the pot 12 ways. Texas gets 3 with everyone else getting 1. So its almost fitting.

They are called Northwestern because the founders started the Univesity for the people of the region that was once known as the Northwestern Territory. John Evans, whom Evanston is named after, was one of the founders in 1851.

wiki-wiki-what!!! :thumbs

Damn your facts.

:cheers I saw your post and agreed, "why are they called Northwestern?". So I had to do a little internet research (as in "Wiki"). You, sir, are the reason I know one more useless fact today... :P

From now on I dub them NWTU or NTU.

Any game at Wrigley Field is really more for the benefit of Chicago fans who don't normally venture up to Evanston for Northwestern football. Many fans from Nebraska may not appreciate the venue of Wrigley, and perhaps complain about the lack of a big screen like Huskervision and other amenities. I can understand that since I grew up not far from Wrigley but was a White Sox fan and liked the more state of the art exploding scoreboard et al at Comiskey Park versus the low tech Wrigley with the manual scoreboard. Ironically retro has taken off in baseball and has kept Wrigley and Fenway around. Football does not wax lyrical about the past as much as baseball does and so the average Nebraska fan is more suited for the NFL and Soldier Field. But I don't think it's going to happen; imagine instead of 55-60% red at Ryan it would be 75-80% red at SF. Until then, I think Nebraska will have to make due with the low tech Ryan Field for now and if Nebraska fans didn't like this last trip, many other fans in red will take their place. Northwestern just doesn't have the football revenues like the $50 million in 2009-2010 that Nebraska had (and set to grow higher with the 2013 upgrades), and isn't about skyboxes and big scoreboards and luxury amenities. Until then, you need to bring your 4G LTE smart phones for replays for the lack of the replay scoreboard.

Football does not wax lyrical about the past as much as baseball does and so the average Nebraska fan is more suited for the NFL and Soldier Field.

That's a great rundown, and Imma let you finish, but Cornhusker fans have the greatest sense of tradition of all time. Of all tiiiime!!!

The gripe against Wrigley isn't that it's old (or that it's not modern, if you want to look at it that way), it's that it's physically not built for football. It's not safe. The outfield wall is too close to the end zone.

There are a lot of Cubs and Cards fans here, all of whom know all about Wrigley Field. It's fine for what it is, but it's not OK for football.

Football does not wax lyrical about the past as much as baseball does and so the average Nebraska fan is more suited for the NFL and Soldier Field.

That's a great rundown, and Imma let you finish, but Cornhusker fans have the greatest sense of tradition of all time. Of all tiiiime!!!

The gripe against Wrigley isn't that it's old (or that it's not modern, if you want to look at it that way), it's that it's physically not built for football. It's not safe. The outfield wall is too close to the end zone.

There are a lot of Cubs and Cards fans here, all of whom know all about Wrigley Field. It's fine for what it is, but it's not OK for football.

Yes

It's not suited for hockey either but it didn't stop them from having a Blackhawks game there and tickets were impossible to get. Yes I was at the 2010 game and agree that until they move part of the 3rd base wall they can't use right field as an end zone. Remember the decision came one week before the game, too late to make adjustments. Some fans with high priced right field bleacher seats wanted refunds because they didn't have any end zone action there.

The owner of the Cubs is a Northwestern fan (with a Cornhusker heart since he is from Nebraska) so they may make it happen, though I really doubt for Nebraska. He got lots of tickets last Saturday for his friends and family so if Northwestern wants to try it again, I think they have his support.

There were a lot of enthusiastic Illinois fans and Greeks and alumni groups rented out the apartment seats in right and left field in 2010. Illinois fans probably most appreciate the tradition of the football at Wrigley with the Bears playing there for many many years.

I don't know which other Big 10 team besides Illinois this would work well, probably Iowa.