NU vs NU at wrigley field

I hope this happens. I grew up attending Wrigley Field with regularity --- it is one of.. if not THE.. premier historic park in all of sports.

For the Husker players to be able to say they not only went to, but played in Wrigley, that would be quite neat for them. So... I hope it happens.

Read the article and think bigger picture of why this is being tossed around. Who owns the Cubs??? The Ricketts family. Where are they from??? Omaha. Off course they would favor this.

Secondly, this is a ball that sits in northwestern's court. They are the ones giving up the home game. Wrigley sits about 8000 less than northwestern's home stadium. So if they would even consider this expect higher than normal ticket prices.

Finally the article started that the field would be reconfigured to where there would be no issues like three last time. The original layout for the NW/Illini game was the second of two options. The other way, an endzone in left center field, fits beret. The layout that was chosen was thought to be more fan friendly.

As a lifelong cub fan,I loathed the idea two years ago. Thought it was poetic justice that out backfired. However, this is a deal I would go to in a heart beat. But I highly doubt it happens

I've seen the Bears play several times at Wrigley in the late 60's. And I saw the Illinois-NU game in 2010. During the Bears games, they went from home to left field. And a temporary stands was put up in right field to boost the capacity to 45K. The field was probably bigger then and pros weren't as concerned hitting a brick wall. One game I was able to sit on the field and could not believe the hit Butkus put on a running back for the Browns right in front of me. But the Bears were lousy then and it wasn't much fun going to see them lose. So I went to the 2010 game, which was home to right field with no temporary stands of course. It was a blast. The one-way direction was a bummer. But it was quite festive atmosphere, inside and outside the stadium. I don't know if Nebraska fans would appreciate such a venue, but i imagine a number of fans from Nebraska visit Wrigley in the summer months. Of course the facilities at Ryan Field and Soldier Field are much better (like bathrooms), but the Wrigley venue is for the fun of it, the novelty. But if done should be shared with other Big 10 teams too. I doubt it will happen soon due to the NCAA safety rules and a one way goal is just not acceptable. At least Ryan Field is packed into a neighborhood like Wrigley is.

This is one of the worst Huskerboard arguments:

University of Nebraska - UN

Northwestern University - NU

It's that simple. Done.

Pop quiz

If

University of Colorado = CU

University of Oklahoma = OU

University of Misery = MU

University of Kansas = KU,

What is University of Nebraska equal too?

The Battle For NU - an idea proposed last year.

I remember that. I actually don't want it to be a trophy game though. I think that is what might make it cool and unique. The Big 10 has too many trophies already anyway, and the best ones are like a century old. We can't compete with that. But simply playing for the name could be kind of a neato, keen little deal :thumbs

Trophies should just kinda...evolve and appear. You get designers and corporate sponsors and deadlines in there, and you get this kind of thing:

small_land_grant_trophy_450_zps87fe1564.jpg

If you want to make it a 'newer' type of trophy game, have the media departments make a deal that the winner gets to refer to themselves as NU until the next game is played, and the loser has to refrain until their team wins. No trophy needed--just naming rights for one year. :)

This could be extended to such things as the media guide, where all prior references to NU for the loser would have to be scrubbed, all online references for active, university-controlled sites would have to be changed, and the like.

• Fire 1

If you want to make it a 'newer' type of trophy game, have the media departments make a deal that the winner gets to refer to themselves as NU until the next game is played, and the loser has to refrain until their team wins. No trophy needed--just naming rights for one year. :)

This could be extended to such things as the media guide, where all prior references to NU for the loser would have to be scrubbed, all online references for active, university-controlled sites would have to be changed, and the like.

Yeah...I could definitely get behind that. It would be unique, a little odd, and it would definitely irritate the losing fan base. Which is to say, people would not be apathetic about it. Nice idea! :thumbs

This whole NU vs NU fight is dumb. We are in the Big 10 with 12 teams. That is much worse in my eyes its almost as bad as naming their University "Northwestern". Northwestern is not in the northwest part of Illiniois or the northwest part of the country. Its not even in the northwest part of Evanston. If they change their name to Northeastern Univeristy then I will start to listen to their " We are NU"

I give the Big 12 a pass only because they split the pot 12 ways. Texas gets 3 with everyone else getting 1. So its almost fitting.

This whole NU vs NU fight is dumb. We are in the Big 10 with 12 teams. That is much worse in my eyes its almost as bad as naming their University "Northwestern". Northwestern is not in the northwest part of Illiniois or the northwest part of the country. Its not even in the northwest part of Evanston. If they change their name to Northeastern Univeristy then I will start to listen to their " We are NU"

I give the Big 12 a pass only because they split the pot 12 ways. Texas gets 3 with everyone else getting 1. So its almost fitting.

They are called Northwestern because the founders started the Univesity for the people of the region that was once known as the Northwestern Territory. John Evans, whom Evanston is named after, was one of the founders in 1851.

wiki-wiki-what!!! :thumbs

They are called Northwestern because the founders started the Univesity for the people of the region that was once known as the Northwestern Territory. John Evans, whom Evanston is named after, was one of the founders in 1851.

wiki-wiki-what!!! :thumbs

Damn your facts.