And I should clear up that what I meant by it's time for Rex to move on is referring to the chances of next year. In other words, if he wants to play the rest of this year, let him. Regardless, we're not hurting at the RB spot. One thing that will disappoint me bigtime is if we dont see much more at all of Imani Cross which means we burned his shirt for a few carries and cleanup against idaho St. Doesnt make sense. Bottom line is, we have too many weapons on offense right now. It's a good problem to have, but there are simply not enough plays in the game to get everyone the proper amount of touches.

Did he play in 3 games? I thought Idaho State was his third? Thought the rule was 3 games or 33%, whichever is greater.

I thought an actual redshirt had to be zero playing. I though medical hardships only had playing time numbers attached. Am I wrong? I just remember when Zac Taylor was hurt against Kansas St. in '05, Callahan "burned" Harrison Beck's redshirt to put him in for a whole 6 plays or whatever. I'm not sure. Can someone clarify?

I know this was a second guessing issue a couple years ago with Andrew Rodriguez too when he only appeared in a game or early in the year, then disappered, and a local sports talk show out here was ripping the decision for not redshirting him if he was only going to play a few downs in 2 games.

I would look up the rules, but unfortunately my job has a big red X for that website lol. I was aware it was 33% or 3 games (preseason I take it) otherwise they are ineligible to receive a redshirt. I could very well be wrong or misinformed, but Afalava was given his redshirt and he played the first two games.

And I should clear up that what I meant by it's time for Rex to move on is referring to the chances of next year. In other words, if he wants to play the rest of this year, let him. Regardless, we're not hurting at the RB spot. One thing that will disappoint me bigtime is if we dont see much more at all of Imani Cross which means we burned his shirt for a few carries and cleanup against idaho St. Doesnt make sense. Bottom line is, we have too many weapons on offense right now. It's a good problem to have, but there are simply not enough plays in the game to get everyone the proper amount of touches.

Did he play in 3 games? I thought Idaho State was his third? Thought the rule was 3 games or 33%, whichever is greater.

I thought an actual redshirt had to be zero playing. I though medical hardships only had playing time numbers attached. Am I wrong? I just remember when Zac Taylor was hurt against Kansas St. in '05, Callahan "burned" Harrison Beck's redshirt to put him in for a whole 6 plays or whatever. I'm not sure. Can someone clarify?

I know this was a second guessing issue a couple years ago with Andrew Rodriguez too when he only appeared in a game or early in the year, then disappered, and a local sports talk show out here was ripping the decision for not redshirting him if he was only going to play a few downs in 2 games.

I would look up the rules, but unfortunately my job has a big red X for that website lol. I was aware it was 33% or 3 games (preseason I take it) otherwise they are ineligible to receive a redshirt. I could very well be wrong or misinformed, but Afalava was given his redshirt and he played the first two games.

no, you play a single down then the shirt is gone. see harrison beck.

and I don't think Afalava has seen time yet. At least not in the first 2 games.

no, you play a single down then the shirt is gone. see harrison beck.

and I don't think Afalava has seen time yet. At least not in the first 2 games.

Like I said, I could very well be wrong. I was trying to find a way around our proxy at work to find the rules lol.

I thought I saw Afalava in during the first game, but I might have seen him on the sideline. Too long ago, and could be mixing memories up haha.

That being said, Cross' redshirt was burned before the Idaho State game.

Harrison Beck's shirt was gone because a) it occurred late in the season, and b) he didn't have an injury, and couldn't apply for a medical. We're talking about a medical redshirt for Rex, right?

We've gone the medical route with other players, such as Cameron Meredith.

We were talking about Medical Redshirt for Rex and kind of veered off to Redshirts (non medical) in general and the rules. I was under the assumption there was a playing time you could do, preseason, and you could still redshirt a freshman, but I could be mixing up medical/base redshirts.

My feelings are, what ever Rex wants to do, he does. He has earned the right to apply for the Redhsirt if it is possible, but if he decided to set out the rest of the year and leave for the NFL, more power to him. In honesty he is damaged goods and getting healed this year and going to the NFL is most likely his best route. Love the kid, but he has earned the right to make the choice. no questions asked. He has given a lot to this program, and I can see him doing it again next year, but I truly doubt that is in his best interest.

I like Rex as much as the next person, but I don't think he'll be able to get a medical redshirt at this point in the year. Besides, the local articles state that he is "ready to go" against Northwestern. I had my doubts when I read the first post and I'm still very skeptical of the information and all of it. It would be awesome if he was able to get one, but I don't think he will be able too.

Harrison Beck's shirt was gone because a) it occurred late in the season, and b) he didn't have an injury, and couldn't apply for a medical. We're talking about a medical redshirt for Rex, right?

We've gone the medical route with other players, such as Cameron Meredith.

We were talking about Medical Redshirt for Rex and kind of veered off to Redshirts (non medical) in general and the rules. I was under the assumption there was a playing time you could do, preseason, and you could still redshirt a freshman, but I could be mixing up medical/base redshirts.

For a regular college athlete: You have 5 years to play 4 years.

For "JUCO transfers" that did not take a redshirt, they have 3 years to play 2 years, depending on Academic status.

Some can be "JUCO Sophomores" on the team, which means they have 4 years to play 3 years, if they didn't use a Redshirt at their Junior College.

What this all means is you can redshirt [sit out a year] and not have it penalize you for time you have left to play. You can redshirt a player at any time, for any reason, is my understanding.

If a player is going to be a True Freshman, he can redshirt, if he is going into his Senior season and for some reason he needs/wants to redshirt, he can redshirt and play the following year as a 5th year Senior but may have already, or is on pace, to graduate.

A "Medical Redshirt" can be given if an athlete qualifies for it. I do not know the time table of games played.

Tommie Frazier I believe filed for one and was denied in 1994 which is why we saw him in the Orange Bowl that year. If he was given a Medical Redshirt in 1994 we would have not seen him in the 1995 Orange Bowl and he would've been a Redshirt Junior for 1995 and a Redshirt Senior for 1996.

Jared Crick played in too many games in 2011 to get one. But someone like Zaire Anderson will probably get one because he did not play in as many games. Someone like Case Keenum [QB, Houston] or Jason White [QB, Oklahoma] are examples of Medical Redshirts.

Now here's the thing about burning redshirts in Harrison Beck's case.

You can redshirt any payer for any reason on any given year. However, the minute they step on the field in game action, and play one snap, that is the essence of "burning a redshirt" meaning, they just lost their redshirt status and just "completed" a year of eligibility. That's what happened with Beck. When Zac Taylor went down, he came in for the 2005 Kansas State game, and finished it. But he lost his redshirt for that season.

Now what I'm not completely sure on, is if Beck could've Redshirted the 2006 season and become a "Redshirt Sophomore" in 2007, if he were still around. But since he was not around I'm not sure how that works. Or once he burned his Redshirt in 2005 he couldn't redshirt again unless it was an injury related reason. Although if I had to guess, I would say he would've been eligible for a Redshirt in 2006 if he wanted, thus becoming a Redshirt Sophomore in 2007 because he "played" as a True Freshman in 2005, still having the option to fully finish a "Redshirt year" later down the road.

Do we even count Miss State? He played what, one or two plays the whole game? That should be excluded all the way.

Crap, you mean I missed an entire game this year!?? Okay, did we win or lose?

S. Miss, Miss State, is there really any difference? You know what I meant.

I'm almost positive Rex's window is closed. Besides, with the shelf life of a RB so short, the wise move would be to go to the NFL now, not come back here next year. There's ample footage of him fighting off tacklers in the backfield and making positive yards out of a mess already. He doesn't need to pad his resume.

For our part, with Ameer, Heard, Cross and Martinez, we'll be just fine next year.

I'm almost positive Rex's window is closed. Besides, with the shelf life of a RB so short, the wise move would be to go to the NFL now, not come back here next year. There's ample footage of him fighting off tacklers in the backfield and making positive yards out of a mess already. He doesn't need to pad his resume.

For our part, with Ameer, Heard, Cross and Martinez, we'll be just fine next year.

if that's the case for Rex, then that sux! I hope Braylon gets some more work in Rex's absence. He seems to also have that extra gear as well as great vision! Gotta wonder if the workload will catch up to Ameer.

And if his stock drops because of this than so be it. Regardless of where he goes, he's gonna make a plenty of money playing ball, and the team that gets him will be pleased. Just like Alfonzo Dennard, and how his status dropped tremendously after his mistakes, and now it's New England saying "haha, look what we found"