If possible I would love to see Rex back. But it concerns me that after the load he carried last year he might not ever be 100% healthy. Wishing the best for Rex...either way he did his deed for this team.

Just because he's losing his hair doesn't make him 30

Did I hit a soft spot huskerhill? I was talking about the beating his knees and ankles must have endured over the last couple of years with his high number of carries. He carried this team on his back...has nothing to do with his age.

I understand. What I was saying was that he is not 30 and probably more able to recover from the "beating" his body has taken over the past few years. I guess I just disagree that he'll never be 100% considering 205 players have toted the rock more than him in a season, some of whom went to have successful NFL careers. Who knows, maybe they were only at 75% the rest of their careers.

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if he would get a little more leeway since he didn't even play all of one series in the USM game.

I believe the NCAA takes that into account. A game doesn't count as a game - it's amount of time played.

Rex is on the threshold of a Medical. I think all of Husker Nation would be ecstatic with another year of Rex Burkhead. Being greedy... I'd take Rex in Red next year. But I'm not holding my breath. A RB only has so many hits he can take, so many miles available to that body. He may opt for the NFL regardless of what the NCAA decides.

If he does, I'll bid him bon voyage, and hope he signs for millions and millions. I can't think of a guy who deserves it more.

this one's tough - because you saw how Crick fell last season after sitting out then entering the draft. Rex was already 4th round at best. If he is hobbled all season Rex is looking at late round-free agent right now (injury too big of a liability at a position that in the NFL is easy to fill). He won't be signing for millions a year - certainly not with the new labor agreement. And there actually isn't a huge gap between the 4th round and the 7th round. So he'd likely be taking the $2 mill spread over 4 years that most late round picks end up with. Great money, but by staying he might be able to make that Heisman run this season was set up for. Then he sneaks into the 2nd or 3rd round. Then maybe he gets $3 mill with the 700k signing bonus.

I actually think w/ the new rookie wage scale we'll see more guys coming back. If you aren't in the 1st or the top of the 2nd rounds, you're looking at $3.5 million for a 3rd round pick, or $2.2 million as a 7th round pick. The risk/reward is a lot better today than it once was. The disparity between 3rd and 7th rounds is much less. Falling doesn't hurt you because it's all about that 2nd contract now. I could see Rex coming back...he doesn't have a lot to lose.

I am not sure if we need Rex this game to win, but then again I thought the same thing against UCLA. He is a punch in the mouth when he is on the field. I say we sit him down for the 1st half, if we need him in the 2nd, leave it up to his decision. There are players who play with a tear in their MCL, and I think this is why Rex still wants to contribute. If he wants to play, then I say let the kid make the decision. MCL's heal, we just aren't giving it the 3-4 weeks that is needed.

Is he even eligable? Unless my math is completely wrong he's already hit the 20% minimum threshold by playing in 4 games.

Agreed! I think the timeline will not be met. However, Rex should have a say in the amount of carries and plays he is involved in. It is his knee and his future, not the coaches, that is at risk.

With all do respect, it's probably time for Rex to move one. Seriously. What's left for him to prove here. He needs to go on, not risk the millions he deserves to make much more than some of the other dooshbags in the NFL. He has his degree, he's proven time and time again his worth as not only a football player, but as a human being as well.

And I know I'm going to get fried for this but it's brutal honesty. Ameer Abdullah is the better back right now. Regardless of injury to Rex, Abdullah brings that extra shiftiness and quick step. Rex's leadership would be sorely missed. If he wants to come back, great. But I dont believe it's something he should be pressure into.

And honestly guys I know it's been asked I don't know about the whole being too late for a reshirt thing, this is just the information I've been given, but I don't think the coaches would be discussing it if it wasn't possible

But....uhm....who is giving you this information? And....uhm....why are they giving it to you, when a rumor-crazed Husker Nation has heard no mention of it before your post?

The next three RB's can more than carry the load. I wouldn't even request the medical redshirt. If Rex wants to play, then play him. If he wants to let it heal, let him let it heal on the sidelines. Frankly, I'd love to see more of Cross.

Agreed, and we also need more of Heard on the field. He is someone who is underrated. Probably the best back we have.

• Fire 1

And I should clear up that what I meant by it's time for Rex to move on is referring to the chances of next year. In other words, if he wants to play the rest of this year, let him. Regardless, we're not hurting at the RB spot. One thing that will disappoint me bigtime is if we dont see much more at all of Imani Cross which means we burned his shirt for a few carries and cleanup against idaho St. Doesnt make sense. Bottom line is, we have too many weapons on offense right now. It's a good problem to have, but there are simply not enough plays in the game to get everyone the proper amount of touches.

And I should clear up that what I meant by it's time for Rex to move on is referring to the chances of next year. In other words, if he wants to play the rest of this year, let him. Regardless, we're not hurting at the RB spot. One thing that will disappoint me bigtime is if we dont see much more at all of Imani Cross which means we burned his shirt for a few carries and cleanup against idaho St. Doesnt make sense. Bottom line is, we have too many weapons on offense right now. It's a good problem to have, but there are simply not enough plays in the game to get everyone the proper amount of touches.

Did he play in 3 games? I thought Idaho State was his third? Thought the rule was 3 games or 33%, whichever is greater.

Did he play in 3 games? I thought Idaho State was his third? Thought the rule was 3 games or 33%, whichever is greater.

I thought an actual redshirt had to be zero playing. I though medical hardships only had playing time numbers attached. Am I wrong? I just remember when Zac Taylor was hurt against Kansas St. in '05, Callahan "burned" Harrison Beck's redshirt to put him in for a whole 6 plays or whatever. I'm not sure. Can someone clarify?

I know this was a second guessing issue a couple years ago with Andrew Rodriguez too when he only appeared in a game or early in the year, then disappered, and a local sports talk show out here was ripping the decision for not redshirting him if he was only going to play a few downs in 2 games.