Coaches are currently on the fence on what to do with Rex. They are split between playing him sparingly and carefully watching his injured knee and exploring an option to get him a medical. I know he hasn't redshirted yet, but the coaches want to explore gaining a year of elibility for him for next year. The thought process is that the coaches feel that Ameer has done exceptionally well and could handle the workload with Braylon and Imani for the remainder of the season, but have no idea what the future holds for any of them and are reluctant to sit Rex. They love the thought of having Rex next year obviously for what he does on the field, but what is being discussed more is his leadership and work ethic that could help motivate over the off-season. I personally don't believe they will sit Rex for the rest of the season, but I just wanted to let you guys know that it is 100% definitely being discussed. They feel that if Rex were coming back next year and all of the starters we have back on offense, the fans, the athletic department, and the university would ease up on their pressure.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. My thoughts are that if Rex plays, the coaches don't believe they have another year

The coaches have been exploring their options since the tOSU game and speaking with Rex and his family. They want to know positively that he would receive a medical shirt though before making a decision. The medical staff is currently giving Rex a rigorous analysis and questioning after each practice to determine pain and mobility and reporting back to the coaches.

I would hate to see Rex have to sit out the rest of the season to take a medical, but playing the game of football on a healing knee that hasn't fully healed, can be a huge risk to his football future. If he has to take a medical, I am in full support of it. I would love to have Rex back next season at 100% because he isn't 100% right now...It would be great to see him bounce back next year.

I would hate to see Rex have to sit out the rest of the season to take a medical, but playing the game of football on a healing knee that hasn't fully healed, can be a huge risk to his football future. If he has to take a medical, I am in full support of it. I would love to have Rex back next season at 100% because he isn't 100% right now...It would be great to see him bounce back next year.

Agree 100% Chaddy. Rex just has had a real rough go of things this year. To get hurt the very first game and re-injure it in our biggest game of the year so far is just the pits for Rex. It was hard to watch him ride that stationary bike because everyone who knows NU football knows he was dying to be out there helping his team.

And, as RB's go, I'd hate to take a year off of Rex's already-short NFL shelf life. But think about it this way... if we rush him back this year and try to get him done and into the NFL after the year, if he messes up the knee any worse his NFL chances might be ****ed FOREVER.

I'd think he'd certainly choose another year of donning the Scarlet and Cream and one less year in the pros than not getting there at all. And it would be just TERRIFIC if we found a way to hold onto Rex for 2013, which is the year everyone was so excited about-- since OSU, Wiscy, etc. come off our schedule.

I'd rather see Rex played sparingly, if at all, for the remainder of the season. Or at least until he's 100%. Sure we need him. But it would be a tragedy if he took on too much before he's back to 100%, and ended up with a career ending injury.

/edit: lol Saunders. That's pretty good. +1

Thought the threshold was 1/3 of the games (or 4 games).

He played against Southern Miss, Idaho State, Wisconsin, and Idaho State (also Ohio State :facepalm:)

If he plays, he can't get a medical. If he doesn't, then I'm still not sure.

We played them twice this year? :D

• Fire 1