Jay, Shawn, and Solich

tmfr15

Had a few people give me a hard time about the Huskers getting rid of coaches, only to have those coaches do well elsewhere. The coaches mentioned were Jay Norvell, Shawn Watson and Frank Solich.

Norvell is a member of Bob Stoops coaching staff at Oklahoma, but he's far from the only reason that the Sooners are winning and he isn't reinventing the wheel as the WR coach. I don't get the connection.

Watson isn't even the OC in Louisville. Sure, the Cardinals are doing fine, but I don't see the direct association between his arrival and their success.

Lastly, Frank is a great coach. And as Husker fans most of us at least respect the guy. I respect him for sure and I wasn't one who was calling for his head back in 2003. I thought he was safe after the CU win and was shocked to see a move. Still, in the here and now, Frank is doing OK in the MAC. He might win the title, but I don't see the Bobcats as being a BCS buster. They barely beat UMass.

So I am tempted to think that anyone making this argument is just trying to be JACK A#$. And of course I am tempted to get defensive, which might be the desired response.

What are the Huskerboard thoughts on guys who have moved on from NU and had success? Hey, throw Craig Bohl in there. Why the heck not?

Well, Jay Norvelle left under his own terms. He was not fired. That is when Callahan had to hire Watson for the '07 season. Didnt see much drop off anyway. The Solich issue has been beatin to death. Watson? Most will not argue that he is probably a decent offensive and qb coach, but the issue was his knowledge and philosophies simply did not match up with the direction Bo wanted to go in. I'm sure that was a mutual an exit as their will ever be in the coaching profession. I've heard Watson wanted to be gone as bad as Bo wanted him gone.

Norvell left Nebraska to take the OC job at UCLA. It was under the HC before Skippy. I think it was Carl Dorell. He was fired from that job when the HC was fired. Norvell is an old Iowa guy so his has known Stoops for a long time. Isn't Ted Gilmore the recievers coach at USC now?

Most coaches when they get to this level know what they are doing. It is just a matter of meshing together with the HC and players.

Well, Jay Norvelle left under his own terms. He was not fired. That is when Callahan had to hire Watson for the '07 season. Didnt see much drop off anyway. The Solich issue has been beatin to death. Watson? Most will not argue that he is probably a decent offensive and qb coach, but the issue was his knowledge and philosophies simply did not match up with the direction Bo wanted to go in. I'm sure that was a mutual an exit as their will ever be in the coaching profession. I've heard Watson wanted to be gone as bad as Bo wanted him gone.

It was a mutual deal, because Bo is the one who helped land Watson the job at Louisville. Watson is an offense guru, like accountability said, his style didn't match the players we had, and Bo thought the system was too complicated. Bo wanted to lean towards what we use to be, with some new. What you see today is what Bo had pictured, minus the fumbles :D

As for the OP's Frank Solich comment, he is winning with WAY less talent and big name players. A coach who can do what he has done, with what most would say "3* at best and below athletes", is quite impressive. With what he is doing at Ohio, you will see him get a gig to a bigger school. Possibly UT, because I don't see Brown holding onto that job much longer, or CU. Those are just examples, not saying he would take a job at either, but those schools would most likely be interested in him.

• Fire 1

It was a mutual deal, because Bo is the one who helped land Watson the job at Louisville. Watson is an offense guru, like accountability said, his style didn't match the players we had, and Bo thought the system was too complicated. Bo wanted to lean towards what we use to be, with some new. What you see today is what Bo had pictured, minus the fumbles :D

As for the OP's Frank Solich comment, he is winning with WAY less talent and big name players. A coach who can do what he has done, with what most would say "3* at best and below athletes", is quite impressive. With what he is doing at Ohio, you will see him get a gig to a bigger school. Possibly UT, because I don't see Brown holding onto that job much longer, or CU. Those are just examples, not saying he would take a job at either, but those schools would most likely be interested in him.

Sorry I don't see Frankie getting a job anywhere else like Texas or Colorado. He is almost 70 years old. If he was 10 years younger yeah maybe.

Sorry I don't see Frankie getting a job anywhere else like Texas or Colorado. He is almost 70 years old. If he was 10 years younger yeah maybe.

Colorado would probably hire anyone at this time I think. Its sad to see where their program has gone.

If there's any merit what so ever to the rumors of both Solich and Bohl's departure, I highly doubt either moves up any ladders especially after the Bobby Petrino fiasco. Solich doesn't have much of a shot anyway because of his age. Part of me just wishes TO would have stepped into the AD job the moment he retired from coaching because things would probably look considerably different than they do today.

Totally agree Junior.

Sollich will not see a major gig, due to many reasons.

But Petrino will be back on the sidelines next year is my guess. Way to good of a coach, and some want to win worse than anything. I would imagine he will keep his pants up if he gets another chance.

I heard Pete Carrol left SC due to the young ladies wanting to make themselves available to him. That and the Bush issue, well maybe they are the same after typing that. lol