Coach Kaczenski

EZ-E

You do realize Iowa fans couldn't wait to get rid of this guy.

You do realize that tune changed to that right after we did hire him right? I checked out some message boards for Iowa when the word first started floating around that we were getting him, and it was borderline meltdown. He was their Marvin Sanders. His unit was ALWAYS sound and good, and we came in and got him.

They say they couldn't wait to get rid of him now, but within the first couple months, like accountability was stating, they were pissed and frantic. If Coach Kaz had all of his players being 100% right now, everyone would see a completely different defense. When you can rotate guys, keep them fresh, and have your starters, like Valentine and Curry, its a game changer. Valentine was stated he was most likely going to be starter by his athleticism, strength and speed for his size. Due to unfortunate events, he had to take a redshirt because of his injury. If it wasn't for Coach Kaz, we wouldn't have had Aaron Curry either.

I totally blew off the health issue up front. We have injury problems, combined with the Big10's gayass 70-travel rule, and no wonder we moved an underperforming (might be a bit of a stretch to harsh) DE to DT for a game. The injury situation for the DL is pretty dire again, not quite as bad as a year ago, but it needs to be better.

You do realize that tune changed to that right after we did hire him right? I checked out some message boards for Iowa when the word first started floating around that we were getting him, and it was borderline meltdown. He was their Marvin Sanders. His unit was ALWAYS sound and good, and we came in and got him.

They say they couldn't wait to get rid of him now, but within the first couple months, like accountability was stating, they were pissed and frantic. If Coach Kaz had all of his players being 100% right now, everyone would see a completely different defense. When you can rotate guys, keep them fresh, and have your starters, like Valentine and Curry, its a game changer. Valentine was stated he was most likely going to be starter by his athleticism, strength and speed for his size. Due to unfortunate events, he had to take a redshirt because of his injury. If it wasn't for Coach Kaz, we wouldn't have had Aaron Curry either.

Reading between the lines I'm starting to piece together what happened during Coach Kaz's tenure at Iowa. He could very well be a good coach but was taking criticism for the Dline starting to underperform. He was having difficulty recruiting talent to Iowa (hence the comment about Nebraska being easier to recruit for) and was getting frustrated with the players he was able to get. He probably rode the players hard trying to get them to play better but was perceived by fans as being a jerk. I hope Nebraska turns out to be a better match for him and what he wants to accomplish as a coach.

Reading between the lines I'm starting to piece together what happened during Coach Kaz's tenure at Iowa. He could very well be a good coach but was taking criticism for the Dline starting to underperform. He was having difficulty recruiting talent to Iowa (hence the comment about Nebraska being easier to recruit for) and was getting frustrated with the players he was able to get. He probably rode the players hard trying to get them to play better but was perceived by fans as being a jerk. I hope Nebraska turns out to be a better match for him and what he wants to accomplish as a coach.

Iowa fans aren't happy unless your last name is Parker or Ferentz. Or Fry I guess if you want to go back further. Their Dline has always been good, but since their loss of Adrian Clayborne, their Dline went down, but what do you expect? Its hard to replace a high caliber player like him. Actually, its next to impossible. Like Suh for us. Sure you will have great players, but its hard to find Elite. Iowa fans were spoiled with how Clayborne was able to open up the offensive line, cause double coverage, giving his other teammates the opportunity to make plays. Its rare to get one of those guys every year, even harder when your school isn't very strong at recruiting. I live in Des Moines, and MANY Iowa fans were happy that Curry was leading towards Iowa, as he was expected to be that next big thing, but with the departure of Kaz, he chose NU instead. Also giving more Iowa fans another reason not to like him. Their Dline was very decent last year. Better than what we were performing to say the least.

Iowa fans aren't happy unless your last name is Parker or Ferentz. Or Fry I guess if you want to go back further. Their Dline has always been good, but since their loss of Adrian Clayborne, their Dline went down, but what do you expect? Its hard to replace a high caliber player like him. Actually, its next to impossible. Like Suh for us. Sure you will have great players, but its hard to find Elite. Iowa fans were spoiled with how Clayborne was able to open up the offensive line, cause double coverage, giving his other teammates the opportunity to make plays. Its rare to get one of those guys every year, even harder when your school isn't very strong at recruiting. I live in Des Moines, and MANY Iowa fans were happy that Curry was leading towards Iowa, as he was expected to be that next big thing, but with the departure of Kaz, he chose NU instead. Also giving more Iowa fans another reason not to like him. Their Dline was very decent last year. Better than what we were performing to say the least.

I was going to take a swipe at Hawkeye fans and reply "Depends on if you are a Husker fan or Hawkeye fan". The difference being Husker fans are smarter and realize what an impact the loss of a player like Suh, Crick or Clayborne has. I can't really say that since I myself am guilty of being stupid. You get used to a group such as the Dline playing well and take it for granted.

I was going to take a swipe at Hawkeye fans and reply "Depends on if you are a Husker fan or Hawkeye fan". The difference being Husker fans are smarter and realize what an impact the loss of a player like Suh, Crick or Clayborne has. I can't really say that since I myself am guilty of being stupid. You get used to a group such as the Dline playing well and take it for granted.

Honestly, both fan bases are actually the same. Hawkeye fans are loyal. You have to be, if your a Hawkeye fan, as they don't expect much but a few losses and they need to go to a bowl game. No matter where its at, as long as they go somewhere, they are happy. Many of them have been spoiled by Clayborne and Tyler Sash on their defense, and expect perfection now, but I think they will realize in the next two years how important Kaz was to them.

Husker fans, we are just spoiled, thats all to say about that. Thank TO for that. He set the bar high here, which is good, and bad in its own ways. We lose, many head hunt saying this or that coach needs to go. Some stick to their guns, but a lot flip flop. I have seen it here even. I am spoiled, but I also know the meaning of regrowing. We have a first time head coach here, and its going to take time for him to get where he wants. Most are not up for the ride, but that is why we have a forum, for each to post their opinions, and us to bash on them :devil . Lol just kidding, but that is what is fun about being a Husker fan... know matter how this or that person feels, we are all wearing our gear and cheering them on every Saturday, with the exception of the day after Thanksgiving game.

The one thing I did notcie Saturday that I havnt seen in quite sometime was a batted down ball. I think it was Joe carter got his hands up, it's the small victories that count.

Good call, I noticed that too. I can't think of one batted down ball we've had all season. In Pelini's first two seasons, our D-Line was great at tipping the ball and they turned into picks (Suh's pick 6 vs. Colorado and Hagg's INT vs. Texas). If our D-Line's not gonna get any pressure at least get your hands up and knock it down!

The one thing I did notcie Saturday that I havnt seen in quite sometime was a batted down ball. I think it was Joe carter got his hands up, it's the small victories that count.

Good call, I noticed that too. I can't think of one batted down ball we've had all season. In Pelini's first two seasons, our D-Line was great at tipping the ball and they turned into picks (Suh's pick 6 vs. Colorado and Hagg's INT vs. Texas). If our D-Line's not gonna get pressure at least get your hands up and knock it down!

You gotta get the hands up against the shorter Dennard! You'd think this would be effective especially with the shallow crossing routes we struggle to defend.

Good call, I noticed that too. I can't think of one batted down ball we've had all season. In Pelini's first two seasons, our D-Line was great at tipping the ball and they turned into picks (Suh's pick 6 vs. Colorado and Hagg's INT vs. Texas). If our D-Line's not gonna get pressure at least get your hands up and knock it down!

You gotta get the hands up against the shorter Dennard! You'd think this would be effective especially with the shallow crossing routes we struggle to defend.

I've been yelling this all season, if you can't penetrate, at least get your hands up.......there, I said it.

I don't know; the jury is still out for me, although I think that there is more to this hire. If you look at the current recruits and last year's recruits, it becomes pretty obvious that something like a 3-4 will be relied upon going forward. I feel as though this is kinda a transition year until we have the young athletes ready to go. I know Kaz doesn't have extensive experience with this scheme, but I assume somebody knows something that we don't. Hopefully, the front-7 and more specifically the D-Line comes around by next season with this shift in philosophy.

Does he read HuskerBoard?

Does he read HuskerBoard?

Of course we have no way of knowing whether he reads this board. That said, I would be somewhat surprised if he did not swing by from time to time and check in --- and even if he does not, I am fairly certain that the content (if only in a general sense in terms of the tenor of the content... if not the details) from this and other sites like it will reach him indirectly (through the players --- who are almost certainly aware of this and other related board content --- or through others).

It is a rare person who is routinely commented upon in a public forum like a website (as an individual or as part of a team) who is not generally aware of the content of that forum... especially as it relates to them personally. Again, that exposure, if not direct, will come almost certainly in an indirect manner.

I don't know; the jury is still out for me, although I think that there is more to this hire. If you look at the current recruits and last year's recruits, it becomes pretty obvious that something like a 3-4 will be relied upon going forward. I feel as though this is kinda a transition year until we have the young athletes ready to go. I know Kaz doesn't have extensive experience with this scheme, but I assume somebody knows something that we don't. Hopefully, the front-7 and more specifically the D-Line comes around by next season with this shift in philosophy.

I completly agree. I think the players for a change in our defensive base are being brought in now & slowly you will see the change.

Joseph was the best hire this offseason, in my opinion. Even with the loss of Dennard, our secondary is playing better than last year. We don't really have that star player, but top to bottom they're getting it done much more than they were last year.

So far so good as regards Joseph --- a reasonable amount of positive can be justifiably said about what his unit has done... and little negative. plus... seems like he might be a recruiting contributor too. So, I agree.