Linebackers!

Santos, Compton, Whaley, and Fisher played one hell of a game!

+1

I think 2 of my favorite plays were by Santos. On one he came up and took on the blocker right in the hole and stood him up. The ball carrier got backed up and another blackshirt made the tackle. Santos made that play!

The other was similar. Wide play Santos came shooting up and took out the lead blocker which was the fullback. That allowed the pursuers to make a tackle for loss. Santos didn't make the tackle but blew that play up.

Santos, Compton, Whaley, and Fisher played one hell of a game!

+1

I think 2 of my favorite plays were by Santos. On one he came up and took on the blocker right in the hole and stood him up. The ball carrier got backed up and another blackshirt made the tackle. Santos made that play!

The other was similar. Wide play Santos came shooting up and took out the lead blocker which was the fullback. That allowed the pursuers to make a tackle for loss. Santos didn't make the tackle but blew that play up.

I liked the delayed HB draw to Fitz where Santos met him right at the LOS and stoned him cold. I don't think Michigan ran up the middle again after that. Pretty much just went east/west from then on.

Kind of funny, but on the play that stood out to me, Santos got rolled. Michigan went wide to their left and Santos came flying up to fill. He got taken out by a really good block by a Mich lineman, but the speed that was coming in with was something I haven't seen at all this year out of our LB corps. I remined me of the way LaVonte David flew to the ball the last two years. Speed just makes such a big, big difference.

Santos looks good all around. His coverage is solid even though there were completions. His run support is great, he meets the ball carrier with force. He'll be a very good player for us in the coming seasons.. I'm hoping some of the other younger talent also steps up next year.

Even with Dennard in there, these guys were playing borderline perfect football against this type of offense. Excellent execution of what is called gap control. We play D like that agaist UCLA and that game is 30-2 instead of 30-36. (they can keep the safety for benefit of the doubt)

My concern with this type of D is just that when you give the QB so much time to throw, eventually there are going to be breakdowns in coverage and the offense is going to hit something big. I just believe that you cannot give a QB that much time to set back there. We played it really well, but if he doesn't get hurt, there is a strong probability we go into halftime trailing (it was 7-3 when he went down wasn't it?). I think you have to at least have someone making it uncomfortable for him back there.

But it obviously worked pretty well, so what do I know?

Even with Dennard in there, these guys were playing borderline perfect football against this type of offense. Excellent execution of what is called gap control. We play D like that agaist UCLA and that game is 30-2 instead of 30-36. (they can keep the safety for benefit of the doubt)

My concern with this type of D is just that when you give the QB so much time to throw, eventually there are going to be breakdowns in coverage and the offense is going to hit something big. I just believe that you cannot give a QB that much time to set back there. We played it really well, but if he doesn't get hurt, there is a strong probability we go into halftime trailing (it was 7-3 when he went down wasn't it?). I think you have to at least have someone making it uncomfortable for him back there.

I swear it was 7-6 when he went out.

Being old, my memory is fleeting. So we must have trailed 6-9 at halftime. If he doesn't get hurt it's probably 50-50 they punch in in for the TD. Trailing 13-6 then at half. Who knows.

Being old, my memory is fleeting. So we must have trailed 6-9 at halftime. If he doesn't get hurt it's probably 50-50 they punch in in for the TD. Trailing 13-6 then at half. Who knows.

The score at half time was 7-6 good guys.