Michigan State opens as a 1 pt fav. currently up to 1.5.

On paper the matchup suits us. Strength versus strength (Our O vs. Their D) and I like our perceived weakness a LOT better than theirs right now (Our D vs. their O).

Tie breaker-- Special Teams, definitely goes to us.

If we could just go back to playing focuses and with that "us against the world" mentality on the road like we did that first year under Pelini (yes, oddly as it seems, it used to be a strength) and eliminate mistakes, we'd beat this team with an arm tied behind our back.

Is Michigan State's special teams really that bad? Do they typically have 15 yards punts almost every game? Do they make a habit of fielding kicks in the endzone only to bring them out to the 12? Honestly, I don't know. I haven't watched Michigan State play much.

Agreed. Our special teams is overrated this year because of what they've done the past few years. Nothing too special about them this year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Papuchis was in charge of special teams until he became DC, which is exactly when our advantage in that phase of the game vanished.

I have to disagree.

Maher's found his touch again and was booming em through Saturday. People were saying the one he nailed from 51 would've been good from 65. Dude lost himself for a bit, but it looks like he got his head screwed back on, which is huge when you're playing a very good defense in MSU.

Also, last week, the kick coverage improved a lot last week. Didn't give up any huge returns, and our return game was pretty dang good in it's own right. No dropped punts, and I was shocked to see Jamal Turner get good yardage on a kick return by-- and, try to stay with me here, I know this is radical-- running STRAIGHT ahead. :lol:

I think if we protect the ball on punts and continue the good kickoff/punt coverage, and combine that with having Maher, we outclass them ST's wise.

I agree with your disagreement. We haven't been quite up to our usual high standards but we're still well ahead of most. Just watch other games and see the indecision other teams have about what to do on 4th down from about the 30-35 yard line. Most go for it, even on long yardage. We don't think twice about a 50 yard FG. We haven't made them all but we expect to. Others don't even try.

We're admittedly not very good at kick coverage - #95 in the nation. MSU is #116

Punt coverage isn't great either at #106. MSU is #93

We're think it's been terrible that we've "only" made 71% of our FGs this season. Our opponents have made 60%. MSU is at 73%

NU is #20 in the nation in punt return average. MSU is #77

NU has only allowed 1 KO Return for more than 30 yards this season. MSU has allowed 3

NU has allowed 2 punt returns for more than 20 yards this season. MSU has allowed 3

I'd say we're not that good at covering kicks (punts included). Other than that, we're not too shabby.

Their defense is legit, about on par with Wisconsin's and Michigan's. They'll slow us down, but shouldn't shut us down. These are the kinds of game where we'll really miss Burkhead (even if he can go, he probably won't be 100%). We probably won't run over them like last year without that guy.

This defense is way better than Wiscy and Ohio state. They have studs at every level. Ghoulston is three premier defensive player in the league IMO. They are able to contain the likes of Miller and Robinson because they have line backers that can spythose guys and are great in the open field. Allen mooching down to LB was a great move for MSU. But the biggest difference is this will be the best secondary Taylor will see. Phonzie's cousin is shops corner. Well be a huge test for this offense. Road game possible weather elements.

This one will come down to field position and plays in special teams.

Our defense this year has been...strange. We can't sack the quarterback, we can't force turnovers, and we're on the field constantly because our offense is always stalling, and yet here we are, sitting 5th in the nation in total defense, about where we were last year around this time.

Earlier in the season the defensive line was the weakest unit. It's definitely stepped up the last couple of weeks. Partly because we got a key DT back from injury and partly because Gholston has stepped up his game. I think he had his best game of the season against Wisky last week.

I think the secondary is the weakest link right now, but it's not even like they've been bad. It's just that my expectations for that group are always high so when I see the other team complete two or three passes in a row down field I start freaking out. Coverage hasn't been all that great and our CBs are occasionally getting beat on the deep ball.

The LBs have been tremendous. We actually benched one of our outside LB's, senior captain Chris Norman, in favor of a true freshman, Taiwan Jones, a few weeks ago, and Jones has played very well. You don't see that happen too often...a senior captain who has started since his freshman year in favor of a true frosh. Jones has a high motor, is all over the field, and loves to hit.

On paper the matchup suits us. Strength versus strength (Our O vs. Their D) and I like our perceived weakness a LOT better than theirs right now (Our D vs. their O).

If we could just go back to playing focuses and with that "us against the world" mentality on the road like we did that first year under Pelini (yes, oddly as it seems, it used to be a strength) and eliminate mistakes, we'd beat this team with an arm tied behind our back.

Is Michigan State's special teams really that bad? Do they typically have 15 yards punts almost every game? Do they make a habit of fielding kicks in the endzone only to bring them out to the 12? Honestly, I don't know. I haven't watched Michigan State play much.

Ah yes, special teams...an area we Spartan fans aren't used to worrying about. This year is a different story.

Our two biggest issues on special teams are kick/punt return and field goal kicking. The latter has been surprising, as Conroy has been a reliable leg for us in the past. Nobody is quite sure what is wrong with him this year, he just lost his confidence or something. He's missing all kinds of chip shots, but can drill the long ones. It's weird.

We actually have Bell returning kicks right now because I guess we don't have any better options...which is kind of hard to believe. I personally don't get it because he doesn't pose any kind of home run threat, and risking injury to him on a kick return doesn't seem worth it. However, his hands are like vice grips and he won't fumble, so there's that.

Nick Hill was our punt return guy earlier in the year, but we benched him because he was hesitant and fumbled a couple times. Andre Sims Jr. is our current PR. Hasn't done anything remarkable yet, but he is at least protecting the ball and making smart decisions.

Our punter is a good one. No issues there.

Kick and punt coverage are okay. Nothing special.

Speaking of special teams, Football Outsiders FEI efficiency ratings have Nebraska's special teams as 106th in the country. And that's despite the good accuracy of Maher.

Coverage and returns have been less than spectacular this year for sure. Maher's kickoffs aren't quite at the Adi level either. (fatigue maybe?)

This game layouts pretty similar to the Michigan game in my mind except Sparty doesn't have the threat at QB but has a credible weapon in Bell. The only way we lose this game is by beating ourselves with turnovers, stupid penalties and if the D lays an egg. They've got a good defense but, just like Michigan, we will move the sticks and score enough points to win. I'll say here that we win by 14+ but my official prediction will be a Husker loss again. It has worked the last two weeks so I'm sticking with that out of superstition.

i'm still not drinking the kool-aid. Beating NW and Michigan is great , but we have lacked consistency for literally years now. Turnovers and penalties have been rampant this year and will probably bite us in the A$$ before the end. MSU is dangerous because of their defense and the fact we play against ourselves so often. They are down this year, but will be ready to avenge last years game and try to salvage their season. Every sane Husker fan realizes that no game going forward is a give me. We have a long ways to go. Still, there is now definitely more reason to rationalize we get through this year with a trip to the big 10 championship game......I want to see a few more games where the defense plays strong before the faith comes back.

In the 70s on punt and kick off returns, and 43 in net punts

This game layouts pretty similar to the Michigan game in my mind except Sparty doesn't have the threat at QB but has a credible weapon in Bell. The only way we lose this game is by beating ourselves with turnovers, stupid penalties and if the D lays an egg. They've got a good defense but, just like Michigan, we will move the sticks and score enough points to win. I'll say here that we win by 14+ but my official prediction will be a Husker loss again. It has worked the last two weeks so I'm sticking with that out of superstition.

Sounds about right. Before the husker game, mich gave up around 16.7 ppg and right now sparty gives up 15 ppg. Even after the loss to nebraska, mich is 14th in the nation defensively in points per game (Michigan state is 10th). Our offense is the best Michigan State will have seen. Interesting note: Michigan is much better against the pass and Michigan state is much better against the run (ypg: NCAA.com stats, strength of schedule not included).

Michigan's offense is without a doubt better than Michigan state's . Nebraska has the talent and ability to hand out a spanking in East Lansing (whether it does or not remains to be seen), but it depends on defensive consistency, and acceptable special teams play.

Our offense will turn the ball over at least once, we will gain 70% of our yards through the air. We win if we keep the turnover margin in the black. And,our defense will play well, but allow Bell 2-4 long runs.