Are we a sleeping giant?

Yes. I think a number of posters have hit on this recently, but we have talent on this team like you wouldn't believe. Size, speed, power, talent.

For some reason it continues to not be completely put together.

If it ever 'clicks', if that light bulb comes on...this team will be really, really hard to stop.

See, the bold verbiage is what I'm starting to question. I wonder if the team actually has championship talent, or if these "mental breakdowns" are the result of players being put in positions that they're not talented/physically gifted enough to handle.

I always think of Martinez in this context. Is he a actually a talented QB, or is he a physically gifted defensive back that is playing QB? (Thus, his mental mistakes are the result of his talents being miscast.)

I just have a hard time believing that the coaches are just "allowing" the mental mistakes to continue. I gotta think there's more to it than our coaches "not coaching".

Kansas St is a fine example. If we play a 60 minute clean game, we beat KState, on their best night, by 3 if not 5 scores. Watching them right now for the first time this season in detail. Dont see nothing extraordinary, except theyre playing somebody again that does not believe in defense.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

When you make insane statements like that you lose credibility, it's great to love your team but we will have to play our butts off to beat Penn St let alone a top 5 team.

I guess I'm obviously not clear in my intitial point. I'm not saying this year like we can immediately clean it up and boom, we're top 5 caliber to close the year. I'm talking long term. Next year, the years after.

Long term?

Next year our offense will be really, really good. But our defense will struggle because we're replacing virtually everyone. The young guys will be talented, but they'll need time to get acclimated to the defense. We'll probably make the CCG, but Ohio State's Braxton Miller will prove to be too much to handle.

The following year our offense will be starting over, but our defense will be really good.

This general pattern will continue for the next couple decades or so until Bo finally figures it all out and we win three national titles over the span of four years, and we'll all agree it's a shame knapp wasn't around to see it.

• Fire 1

Yes. I think a number of posters have hit on this recently, but we have talent on this team like you wouldn't believe. Size, speed, power, talent.

If it ever 'clicks', if that light bulb comes on...this team will be really, really hard to stop.

See, the bold verbiage...

Double entendre

See, the bold verbiage...

Double entendre

I mean, that Kenny Bell is one debonair m-f'r.

I regret starting this thread I think. I think many of you fail to see the point that is trying to be made. IF we quite making the turnovers and mistakes, are we a very very good team? I know we make alot of mistakes, and I know we've seen absolutely zero evidence that it will happen anytime soon.

As far as the Kansas St. comment. Get real. You really think if we play a full 60 minutes of sound, smart football that we couldnt run Kstate off the field? Sure playing the way we have all year, they'd beat us. But that was a what if comment. Hell, we'd walk right through the Big 12, just becuase we attempt to play defense. Hell, we'd roll the Big 10 if we did this.

I regret starting this thread I think. I think many of you fail to see the point that is trying to be made. IF we quite making the turnovers and mistakes, are we a very very good team? I know we make alot of mistakes, and I know we've seen absolutely zero evidence that it will happen anytime soon.

As far as the Kansas St. comment. Get real. You really think if we play a full 60 minutes of sound, smart football that we couldnt run Kstate off the field? Sure playing the way we have all year, they'd beat us. But that was a what if comment. Hell, we'd walk right through the Big 12, just becuase we attempt to play defense. Hell, we'd roll the Big 10 if we did this.

I'd go with no. Unless we are dominant in the trenches we will never be a top 5 team. We barely beat a team that had 4 losses on the year. Our offensive line is better but still not where it needs to be. The defensive line with the exception of Martin is still very average. If we eliminate the mistakes today we probably win by 17-20 points, but Sparty isn't a good team. They're good on D, but that's all they've got going for them.

Hey we didn't fumble this game! Great improvement there!!! (we did have that one, but Taylor was clearly down, but I will take the extra 5 yards lol)

Yet another call that the officiating crew botched. I think the Big 10 officials are as bad as the NFL replacement refs. It sucks to have games influenced by incompetence. I watch officiating in other conferences and it is generally good. I don't know what the hell is wrong with our conference.

Seriously. Logical discussion here. Derpers and trolls just stay the hell out.

I've watched 3 of these this year now, and a quarter and half of whoopin up likely NC favorite going into next year. Sure, I know we have MAJOR issues of mental mistakes. But after 3 of these now, it's clearly obvious to me that the Big 10, and maybe even the country are possibly thinking twice about this program, wondering what's gonna happen if we get our sh#t together. We somehow find a way to flip a switch at any point and it's done.

So in ending. Are we? Are we a sleeping giant in college football right now. We have the talent. OBVIOUSLY we have the psychology. We have the coaches.

ps. Anyone who wants to say anything negative about the job Dobson is doing S&C wise, youre' dun. We are winning these games because by the end of the game, the other team is done, and we could go another quarter yet. There has been some random derp about this aspect here and there, but it is a non-issue right now.

I wouldn't say sleeping giant. but i would say one that is figuring out what it wants too be.

Despite the wins i still think we are in the fabled 4-5 year slump so too speak. a lot of young player who didn't get the chance too play last year are now starters. growing pains thus are inevitable.

But what we should take pride in is this. when Callahan hit his 4th year we know what the results were, the Solich kids had been carrying him on D, and now the youngsters were due too take over. problem was they were piss poorly coached, idk whose fault that was, but the mistake was made.

The fires of 07 forged the dominant Defenses of 2009 2010, those kids had seen adversity and knew how too deal with it. but how would Bo's recruiting classes deal with the same adversity?

The flopped hard at times in 2011 and have had 2 bad games this year. they are making mistakes, stepping on their own toes. these are trademarks of a young team lacking in experience.

The adversities (UCLA, TOSU) of this year i think will pay dividends down the road. these kids now know how too dig them selves out of a hole with confidence. and with Confidence comes consistency, and so on and so forth.

The future looks bright, but i just hope we learn our lessons and move forward trying too get better.