Hardened by past heartbreaks, these Huskers are now believing

Good article by Dirk.

When Martinez dropped back on second-and-goal, so many bad things could've happened. An interception. A sack. A holding penalty would've forced a 10-second runoff and the clock would've expired.

Two or three years ago, the Huskers would've found a way to lose. Since then, past failure has become their 12th man, supplying them with extraordinary poise under pressure.

With six seconds left, Martinez hit Jamal Turner for the winner.

Compton — eyes closed, hands over ears — heard a noise behind him. Whaley grabbed him and jumped on him. Who caught it, Compton asked. Didn't matter.

They yelled and hugged and, afterward, they tried to find the words.

“I'm so excited, I can barely talk right now,” Whaley said, shaking his head. “Something's up. This season is definitely meant to be.”

After four seasons and nine games — after countless bold promises and hollow declarations — something on the Nebraska sideline is changing. Stand up and open your eyes.

Hope is beginning to look like belief.

Rest of article

Jamal Turner pointed out something I didn't pick up on watching the game. MSU's defense was tired toward the end of the game. I don't know how much of that is attributed to the up tempo offense versus conditioning but I congratulate the coaching staff for getting our players ready for games. I would be really disappointed if that was a problem. Nebraska teams may not be the most talented but we expect them to out work opponents and be in better shape. Our team should mirror our culture.

This is why I keep saying that even if we dont get the PI call, we win in overtime (given Maher makes a glorified PAT). They were gassed and psychologically wasted by that point and we were gonna finish that thing regardless. Our defense had taken over by that point and our offense completely had them on their heels.

The call-back on their pick 6 jabbed them mentally. When we converted the 4th and 10, it was over. Dun deal.

It seems like we wear out every team by the 4th quarter. That's why we are seeing all of these comebacks. Our up-tempo offense, as well as the success with which we ran the ball helps us do that. I think our practice conditioning must be pretty awesome as well based on what I see on the field on Saturdays.

It seems like we wear out every team by the 4th quarter. That's why we are seeing all of these comebacks. Our up-tempo offense, as well as the success with which we ran the ball helps us do that. I think our practice conditioning must be pretty awesome as well based on what I see on the field on Saturdays.

There are a couple posters here ( just a couple) that have always had negative things to say about Dobson and our S&C program. Probably not able to recall becuase the comments are so few, because the opportunities are so few. Heck, theyre probably banned for overall derpiness anyway, but I'm calling them out. I want to know what they think on this matter now after yet another late 4th surge.

what i think a lot of people dont understand, its very VERY hard to gain size and strenght, while also having the conditioning these linemen have to run up tempo/no huddle offense. I think this is what a lot of the Dobson haters dont understand. If we ran a Tom O or Pro style offense where linemen had 30 seconds to catch their breath, we would see a little bigger guys out there.

Look at Oregon, their linemen are alos a little lighter than your average SEC or B1G linemen. But those guys are playing constantly, there is no "catch you breath" moments.

I played Offense for several year, no way in hell i could keep up with these kids. Try blocking for 6-10 seconds, using every ounce of energy you have to move a 300lb DE, then running back to the LOS and do it again, and again, and again..... Those kids are beast to be able to play like that. There is a reason Dobson wins awards for S&C and is highly respected by his peers.

Can we please just kick the crap out of Penn State?

Just one time, do what we're supposed to do?

NO!

Now take you heart pills and buckle up.

Our players probably know of PSU's lack of depth. They might let them get up by 24 before they pull it out in the 4th. Keep the heart pills handy.

They worked their asses off this summer conditioning and its paying off. They have the oline playing 10 12 snaps in practice as opposed to 3 or 4 at a time like they have done in the past, conditioning them to handle a full drive without a break. Dobson, and our hard work and determination is paying off. Its going to be scary to see us put a complete game together.