Two States Legalize Cannabis

If it was legal, couldn't I just grow and smoke my own, thereby cutting the government out of the taxes? It grows very well in Nebraska's climate. I could have a small patch in the garden and have a year-round supply, tax free.

You can brew your own beer without paying taxes, so...same thing

Up to a certain amount, 100 gallons, but how do they know how many gallons I'm brewing in my basement if they aren't checking? The issue in Iowa is if you start trying to sell homebrew they get on you about it and could arrest your and/or fine you. They basically just want their piece of the pie and it's B.S.

If it was legal, couldn't I just grow and smoke my own, thereby cutting the government out of the taxes? It grows very well in Nebraska's climate. I could have a small patch in the garden and have a year-round supply, tax free.

Up to a certain amount, 100 gallons, but how do they know how many gallons I'm brewing in my basement if they aren't checking? The issue in Iowa is if you start trying to sell homebrew they get on you about it and could arrest your and/or fine you. They basically just want their piece of the pie and it's B.S.

perhaps, but they also need to regulate it. public safety becomes an issue.

Plus, I believe hard liquor is a different animal than beer. I don't think you can distill any amount of alcohol without having the proper federal approval. So, it stands to reason that MJ may be treated more like distilled alcohol than home brewed beer. I home brew beer (12 gallons at a time) and have never been concerned with getting hassled by anyone. If I tried to sell it (any amount) I would assume that might raise some issues.

Plus, I believe hard liquor is a different animal than beer. I don't think you can distill any amount of alcohol without having the proper federal approval. So, it stands to reason that MJ may be treated more like distilled alcohol than home brewed beer. I home brew beer (12 gallons at a time) and have never been concerned with getting hassled by anyone. If I tried to sell it (any amount) I would assume that might raise some issues.

personally, i think that is your own business and if people trust you enough to purchase it from you, so be it. but i also understand that state's concern with unregulated sales of alcohol.

So the primary benefit is that we wouldn't be wasting bazillions of dollars on enforcement, right? Taxation is pretty much secondary to this.

In my opinion, the benefits in general are secondary.

I think the main objective is to stop incarcerating people over it. To me, it's downright disturbing we still do that.

personally, i think that is your own business and if people trust you enough to purchase it from you, so be it. but i also understand that state's concern with unregulated sales of alcohol.

Pretty much anything sold for consumption is subject to some level of regulation. That is probably a good thing. But FYI, I'm not that guy in the BWW commercial with the rubber gloves making bratwurst beer on my couch and forcing it on his friends. It is very good stuff, as good or better than anything you can buy commercially. Although I will say that I know many other guys that home brew and I would not feel comfortable drinking some of these guys concoctions. It is virtually impossible to make it dangerous but I am really anal about a high degree of cleanliness and sanitizing. I would love to take it up a notch and start a microbrewery but it takes a bunch of cash to get something like that going. And I have the feeling it might then become more like work taking some of the fun out of it.

BRI, I think the limit is actually 200 gallons. Either way, it's an absurd amount that you would never be able to brew and drink in a year. Well, hopefully.

And a significant part of the reason that it's illegal to distill your own hard alcohol is for safety reasons...any time you're selling illegal liquor, anything could be in that sh#t. Look at how many people died during prohibition from drinking moonshine. Not to mention that you're dealing with generally large open flames burning for a long period of time, big pieces of equipment, and other safety concerns that you really don't have with homebrewing. But obviously the #1 reason is the tax $$$.

BRI, I think the limit is actually 200 gallons. Either way, it's an absurd amount that you would never be able to brew and drink in a year. Well, hopefully.

And a significant part of the reason that it's illegal to distill your own hard alcohol is for safety reasons...any time you're selling illegal liquor, anything could be in that sh#t. Look at how many people died during prohibition from drinking moonshine. Not to mention that you're dealing with generally large open flames burning for a long period of time, big pieces of equipment, and other safety concerns that you really don't have with homebrewing. But obviously the #1 reason is the tax $$$.

Hmmmm, you seem to know know an awful lot about distillation..... Seriously though, when I brew, I use a rather large open flame (turkey fryer) on the boil for about an hour and a half, not to mention also using it to heat up my mash water. You're right though, the biggest reason would appear to be tax $$'s and regulatory fees. I know a guy that opened a microbrewery and the crap and length of time it took for him to get his federal alcohol license was obscene. About broke the guy making him wait to produce until it was all legal.