In defense of Tim Beck

LINK

So what is Nebraska doing so effectively on the ground that it could exploit one of the nation’s top defenses?

That 71-yard touchdown run by Martinez — simple in its design, yet complicated for opponents to instantaneously dissect — provides the answer.

On the individual level, the responsibilities of the Huskers’ offensive guys are basic, so much so that offensive coordinator Tim Beck can rename a play in the middle of a game or completely alter a signaling pattern.

But rarely are all of the 11 guys choreographed to collectively form one specific look.

If you isolate Martinez on his long run at MSU Saturday, only three Nebraska players made the highlight. Cotton occupied the defensive end. Bell smothered two defensive backs. And Martinez ran free. The other eight Huskers were bait.

The problem for defenses, though: The next snap could be the exact same deception-filled call, with a completely different primary objective.

“There’s all kinds of intricacies built in,” Beck said. “Some teams may say, ‘We’ll blitz the zone read and make them do something else.’ Well, then we’ll throw the screen to Kenny (Bell) or Jamal (Turner) and it’s three-on-two out there.”

I have to admit that I have questioned Beck's play calling for most of this year, and I still think there is plenty of improvement that needs to be made in the red zone with play calling. But this article definitely put me at ease a little bit. I've seen flashes of brilliance from Beck at times, but there are definitely signs that he is still learning and growing as an OC.

I've made comments this year like, "Why are we always in shotgun? What happened to the pistol?" But I guess I found an answer in this article. Beck says that lining the RB up beside Taylor in the shotgun makes the play go more smoothly. If that's the case, then I will stop complaining :lol:

Beck has a lot of potential at NU, and I hope he continues to improve and become a complete master-mind at picking defenses apart, like Chip Kelly. But then again, if he becomes that good, it's only a matter of time until he gets a head coaching job of his own.

GBR!!!

I agree, NUance. He's doing a fine job. And as Taylor's arm continues to get better and better, Beck's playbook gets more and more deadly.

Just a couple thoughts: Sometimes I wonder if we'd have a net gain from scrapping the zone read out of the shotgun and replacing it with hand offs/tosses to our backs. Taylor would still run a little option, and he would still use the dedicated QB keeper (like on the long runs against Sparty). But the zone read out of the shotgun...it's so hit and miss. When the wrong read is made, it's such a big loss.

I know that sometimes it pays off big though, too. The TD run Taylor had against UCLA comes to mind - that was a zone read play for a 90 yard TD.

The idea that anyone should have to defend the job Beck has done thus far is just outrageous.

I guess I could change the title of the thread because that's not really how I meant it. More of a reinforcment of his skills, or as a great explanation of how well he has utilized the zone read.

The idea that anyone should have to defend the job Beck has done thus far is just outrageous.

I guess I could change the title of the thread because that's not really how I meant it. More of a reinforcment of his skills, or as a great explanation of how well he has utilized the zone read.

Naw--I think everyone knows what you meant. The thing is, there ARE quite a few Husker fans who continue to bag on Beck. Calling for his head and sech. .

I think Beck is doing a fine job, all things considered. Just think where we'd be right now if we had Rex Burkhead and Tyler Moore on the field.

I am not sure what Moore has done on the field to prove he would provide and better support on the line than where we are right now. We have a VERY good rushing attack, and thats to thank for the Oline we have now. They have their bloopers, but they work their ass off, and has helped us, more than they have hurt us. I think our rush attack would be better, and open up more plays if Rex was in the backfield as well, but I don't think we would statistically be better than where we are now. I love Rex, but Ameer is doing a stellar job.

Beck is doing a fine job. I am glad to have him as our OC.

I do think that most of the "bone-headed" playcalling Beck does is a direct result the players not showing they can consistently run certain packages. For instance, I've seen a lot of stops on third and short when Beck calls runs up the middle. I do think he has just decided that he won't let Martinez's limitations as a thrower influence how he wants to call a game (I'm not bagging on Martinez, just pointing out that he still has a lot to learn regarding the pass game).

As far as Tyler Moore.. it probably would help to have him around. It's not a given that he would be starting, but he is talented and it never hurts to have more tackles in the rotation.

I agree, NUance. He's doing a fine job. And as Taylor's arm continues to get better and better, Beck's playbook gets more and more deadly.

Just a couple thoughts: Sometimes I wonder if we'd have a net gain from scrapping the zone read out of the shotgun and replacing it with hand offs/tosses to our backs. Taylor would still run a little option, and he would still use the dedicated QB keeper (like on the long runs against Sparty). But the zone read out of the shotgun...it's so hit and miss. When the wrong read is made, it's such a big loss.

I know that sometimes it pays off big though, too. The TD run Taylor had against UCLA comes to mind - that was a zone read play for a 90 yard TD.

The first long run from Taylor was a true zone read, it helped set up the 71 yard run out of the QB keep. It's hard to scrap the zone read when it's the play that the offense is based around.

I think Beck has been and will continue to be pretty solid. Even early on when there were struggles, if you watched the tape the issue was more often than a real execution issue (missed block, run-by a block, mis-read on pass, late pass) as opposed to simply a poorly designed play or play call.

I realize this type of offense, not unlike the option, does risk turnovers. But, if NU could ever really limit turnovers, this offense will be be even more lethal.