Bill O'Brien offense vs the blackshirts.. little worried

Dawson

I'm a die hard Nebraska fan living out here in Massachusetts..I grew up in Mitchell, NE prior to moving to NY and finally Massachusetts.. Anyway, I'm a little worried about the upcoming game.. We've had some big wins over Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU.. Bill O'Brien (Current PSU) headcoach was the offensive coordinator for the Patriots for a number of seasons and they were always one of the best in the NFL.. (Some of that credit goes to Tom Brady also)... Anyway, he's a great coach IMO for dealing with everything he's had to deal with at PSU and he's a great offensive coach.. little worried how the blackshirts especially the secondary deal with his passing game..

I'm sorry ;)

Hey now, that's where I grew up too.

Nothing wrong with small town Nebraska.

False. Also, I'm from a small Nebraska town too ;)

I'm a die hard Nebraska fan living out here in Massachusetts..I grew up in Mitchell, NE prior to moving to NY and finally Massachusetts.. Anyway, I'm a little worried about the upcoming game.. We've had some big wins over Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU.. Bill O'Brien (Current PSU) headcoach was the offensive coordinator for the Patriots for a number of seasons and they were always one of the best in the NFL.. (Some of that credit goes to Tom Brady also)... Anyway, he's a great coach IMO for dealing with everything he's had to deal with at PSU and he's a great offensive coach.. little worried how the blackshirts especially the secondary deal with his passing game..

I'm sorry ;)

Hey now, that's where I grew up too.

Nothing wrong with small town Nebraska.

False. Also, I'm from a small Nebraska town too ;)

Ok let's beat the crap outta this guy, I spent a lot of time with my grandparents there!

I'm assuming that PSU's offense will be like that of the Patriots the past few years 2-3 step drops and quick slants and dump passes to the TE's.. The thing that killed most teams were the play aciton passes.. If we can stuff the run right away I think we will beat them fairly easy.. If they run against up and open up the play action it will be a long day.. if we can stop the run JP can mix in some crazy blitz schemes and make their QB's day a living hell. :throwdabones1: :throwdabones1:

There was nothing wrong with Mitchell.. .small town and only lived there until I was about 5..

He also doesn't have the same caliber of players at Penn State as he did with the Patriots. You can draw up a "perfect" offensive game plan, but if you don't have the players to run it, it doesn't mean much. If the weather's bad and windy then I think that plays right into our hands. We have the horses at RB to run the ball the whole game. If they have to pass the whole game, with the wind that's going to cause them problems.

This is where Pelini's 'Bend but don't break' D comes into play. They have no kicker of any sorts, so if we can hold them from getting inside the 20's, we'll be great. Because of this, don't be alarmed if we give up some serious yardage. It's all designed to make sure they don't get the big play.

That doesn't mean much.... The Patriots organization has proven over, and over again that they make guys look good while they are there, because of the quality of the organization.... Ask the Chiefs how its going banking on an indivdual's success from when they were with the Patriots organization (Cassel, Pioli, Crennel, etc.).... Look at Mangini....

Having said that Bill O'Brien has done a fantastic job at Penn St....

He also doesn't have the same caliber of players at Penn State as he did with the Patriots. You can draw up a "perfect" offensive game plan, but if you don't have the players to run it, it doesn't mean much. If the weather's bad and windy then I think that plays right into our hands. We have the horses at RB to run the ball the whole game. If they have to pass the whole game, with the wind that's going to cause them problems.

Exactly. I've been a die-hard Patriots fan over the past 6-7 years and have watched pretty much all of their games. Everyone knows that the real driving force behind the Pats' offense is Belichick along with Brady. Not to mention potential future HOFers that have been there the past few years in Moss, Welker, and Gronkowski. Also, their roster is stacked with role players that are built for their system like Faulk, Woodhead, Edelman, and Branch. Bill O'Brien was only the OC there for one year anyway, following the more highly regarded (by patriots fans) Charlie Weis and Josh McDaniels. The guy was a OC in name only. Just youtube the exchange between him and Brady to see who was really in charge. Obviously, you can't deny he's done a decent job at Penn State considering the circumstances, but don't think for a second he's an offensive guru that's going to light us up on Saturday. He's got an average qb in McGloin, who's going to sit back and try to dink and duck us down the field. As long as we stay patient and not allow chunk plays, there will be many opportunities for takeaways. Nebraska by 17.

As a Patriots fan, and maybe I am wrong on this, but I recall O'Brien being the OC in effect, not in name for a year at least before he was elevated to the title. He was "the guy" ever since McDaniels left for Denver, and one year the Patriots went with neither a nominal OC nor a nominal DC.

This is where Pelini's 'Bend but don't break' D comes into play. They have no kicker of any sorts, so if we can hold them from getting inside the 20's, we'll be great. Because of this, don't be alarmed if we give up some serious yardage. It's all designed to make sure they don't get the big play.

the same could be said of us