Martinez running tougher

lo country

Not really much proof, but IMO it seems that Martinez is really running tougher this year. Not faster, but lowering his shoulder, running through some tackles and actually not going down at first contact. One play in particular against PSU when he was running for the first and met the marker and the PSU LB, Martinez lowered his shoulder and got the first.

I know he has improved his passing and managerial skills, but his running has really impressed me. Becoming more of a "dual" threat as a runner and not just a really fast guy.

He's also actually making a couple of subtle cuts and using his blockers better as well. He used to be straight line or nothing, and he has improved there as well.

The more we see Taylor as our QB, the more I am impressed and love the crap out of him. He's got a Michael Jordan type of mentality. Not afraid of competition, and he works continuously to get better at the things that he isn't as good at. T-Magic!!!

Based on what I have seen; he was either injured last year or specifically instructed by the coaches to avoid contact because it's a night and day difference from what we saw in 2011.

:yeah

I think that what we're seeing is more getting back to where he was pre-injury that anything. Yes, there is improvement as well be he wasn't the same player after he got hurt. Also, I think the coaches really got after him early last year about the fumbles and it made him timid. Now his confidence - and health - are back and he can get back to playing the way he is used to.

For example, check out these highlights from the first half of his freshman year. Not only the running but the throwing motion was a lot better than it was last year. When your body isn't letting you do what you want, it's easy to get into bad habit. Kudos to Taylor for working to correct the bad habits and improve his overall game.

https://www.youtube....h?v=v_za877AcxA

Edit: Apparently I'm dumb in the head because I can't get the video to imbed properly anymore.

Edited by Mavric

I was honestly not much of a fan of Martinez his first couple of years, more sizzle than steak, ya know. And I never considered him a good runner, except for his straight-line speed. He never used to be able to escape the pocket, make more than one cut, or break tackles. If it wasn't a designed run with a lane in front of him, he was going down easily.

But this season is different. I think his running this season is like night and day compared to his first couple years. I've been more impressed with his improvements in running ability than his passing improvements (which I also really, really like). He is actually picking up chunks of yardage on a scramble, getting away from pressure, putting on the moves. He is taking big hits, and delivering a few of his own, and breaking some pretty good tackles.

I'm not ready to put him up there with the all-time Husker greats yet, but I've turned into a big fan of Martinez. It's been really cool to see his development into a tough, poised leader on the field along with his improved skills.

Do you think Bo deserves any credit for this? Does he help instill a certain toughness to Taylor or did it just finally click for him? Taylor has improved every part of his game this year, his passing, running, subtle cuts, toughness, even the way he leads the team has changed it seems. Really impressed with him. I hope that he puts in the same amount of work this offseason that he did the last one cause he could put up stupid numbers with the teams we play next year

Based on what I have seen; he was either injured last year or specifically instructed by the coaches to avoid contact because it's a night and day difference from what we saw in 2011.

This.

In 2010, he ran instinctively, and almost recklessly. In 2011, it seemed that either Beck or Ganz was coaching him to slide and avoid contact. Not a bad thing - because he didn't get reinjured.

This year though, he's found a balance. I'd also say that his ability to scramble when the throw isn't there is probably the single biggest factor to our comebacks. It keeps drives alive.

I was honestly not much of a fan of Martinez his first couple of years, more sizzle than steak, ya know. And I never considered him a good runner, except for his straight-line speed. He never used to be able to escape the pocket, make more than one cut, or break tackles. If it wasn't a designed run with a lane in front of him, he was going down easily.

But this season is different. I think his running this season is like night and day compared to his first couple years. I've been more impressed with his improvements in running ability than his passing improvements (which I also really, really like). He is actually picking up chunks of yardage on a scramble, getting away from pressure, putting on the moves. He is taking big hits, and delivering a few of his own, and breaking some pretty good tackles.

I'm not ready to put him up there with the all-time Husker greats yet, but I've turned into a big fan of Martinez. It's been really cool to see his development into a tough, poised leader on the field along with his improved skills.

And Nebraska has never won a National Championship except for the five they have.

Always nice to just dismiss someone you don't like rather than give them credit for what they can do. I'm sure telling you that he's the sixth-leading rushing QB in the nation this year and that only three QBs with more rushing attempts than he has have a better yards per carry average won't change your mind but maybe someone else will appreciate it.

And Nebraska has never won a National Championship except for the five they have.

Always nice to just dismiss someone you don't like rather than give them credit for what they can do. I'm sure telling you that he's the sixth-leading rushing QB in the nation this year and that only three QBs with more rushing attempts than he has have a better yards per carry average won't change your mind but maybe someone else will appreciate it.

Perhaps you should have read my entire post, brah.