Bowl prediction for Nebraska

CBolin69

During the Notre Dame Boston College game on ABC saturday it was mention by someone who called into the broadcast that if everythings goes as it is that our Cornhuskers will likely play Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl. I understand we still have to beat Minnestoa and Iowa and win the BIG championship game. But have any of you in Nebraska heard this possibility? I don't really care, it would be nice to win the BIG. But as far as a Bowl opponent I just hope whom ever we play that we play a good game and do not have to come from behind to win. My heart and soul can't take these comeback wins.

If Oregon loses one or more games:

Rose Bowl is Big 10 Champ vs. Pac-12 Champ

If Oregon finishes season 13-0 and #1 in BCS Standings:

Rose Bowl gets first selection among automatic qualifiers and at-large teams. They may select a Pac-12 team if they are ranked in the top 14 of the BCS Standings. They will likely select Notre Dame if they are undefeated. Even if Notre Dame is 11-1 there is a good chance the Rose Bowl will take them, even if a Pac-12 team is in the top 14. There are two legitimate chances for a Pac-12 team to finish in the top 14. Stanford if they go 1-1 in their final two games, or UCLA if they win their next two and then lose respectably to Oregon in the Pac-12 championship.

If Oregon finishes season 13-0 and #2 in BCS Standings, behind Kansas State:

Fiesta Bowl gets first selection among automatic qualifiers and at-large teams. They will likely take Notre Dame. Rose Bowl gets second selection. They will then take a Pac-12 team if qualified. If not, they will choose an automatic qualifier or at-large team, which would likely be the SEC championship game loser (Alabama, Florida or Georgia), LSU, Texas A&M or Oklahoma.

If Wisconsin rushes for 250+ yards against us:

We don't have to worry about any of the above.

Capital_One_Logo.jpg

Orlando. Gorgeous!

• Fire 1

Rose Bowl gets first selection among automatic qualifiers and at-large teams. They may select a Pac-12 team if they are ranked in the top 14 of the BCS Standings. They will likely select Notre Dame if they are undefeated. Even if Notre Dame is 11-1 there is a good chance the Rose Bowl will take them, even if a Pac-12 team is in the top 14.

You made that up. No offense, dude, but this is a lack of knowledge of the Rose Bowl's history. The Rose Bowl is loyal to both the Pac 12 and B1G. They WILL take a Pac 12 team if one is in the Top 14 There's no doubt about it. Even the ESPN talking heads mentioned it tonight. It's just common knowledge.

Now that said, because Oregon State lost and will probably lose again, they're done. Because Stanford will lose to Oregon and won't have enough time to recover, they're done. If the likely scenario plays out, then the Rose Bowl will take Notre Dame. But only then. Had Oregon State beat Stanford, moved up in the poll, and then lost to Oregon, they would have stayed in the top 14 and would have received an invite.

As I said in another thread, Notre Dame does not have pull on the left coast. Their fan base is in the midwest and on the east coast.

The Rose Bowl resisted a deal where they had to take a non-B1G/Pac 12 team every four years. They were force to take it while squeezing their noses. They took TCU two years ago because they had to due to the four year rule. They won't take another unless they have to.

I suspect the Rose Bowl would be thrilled to have a resurgent Notre Dame and Nebraska. We are not as good as a decade ago, but we travel well, and it would be our first trip as conference members.

Not sure how to feel, really. I think Oregon or Notre Dame would eat us alive. If Oregon is in the MNC game, we won't have to worry about being quacked to death. But the Irish will probably stomp us.

Still, worth the trouble for a B1G trophy I guess. And you never know. If we win. we enter next year in the top 5.

There is a 4 year agreement with Rose Bowl, that it is allowed to pick a team OUTSIDE of the Pac 12 every 4 years if their at-large team makes it to the National Title. That was done in '11, when they chose TCU, 2 years ago. With that, IF there is a Pac 12 team in the top 14 BCS rankings, and Oregon makes it to the National Title, then that is whoever the B1G Conference Game will face. This has been discussed many times before on the board.

Rose Bowl gets first selection among automatic qualifiers and at-large teams. They may select a Pac-12 team if they are ranked in the top 14 of the BCS Standings. They will likely select Notre Dame if they are undefeated. Even if Notre Dame is 11-1 there is a good chance the Rose Bowl will take them, even if a Pac-12 team is in the top 14. There are two legitimate chances for a Pac-12 team to finish in the top 14. Stanford if they go 1-1 in their final two games, or UCLA if they win their next two and then lose respectably to Oregon in the Pac-12 championship.

Fiesta Bowl gets first selection among automatic qualifiers and at-large teams. They will likely take Notre Dame. Rose Bowl gets second selection. They will then take a Pac-12 team if qualified. If not, they will choose an automatic qualifier or at-large team, which would likely be the SEC championship game loser (Alabama, Florida or Georgia), LSU, Texas A&M or Oklahoma.

Capital_One_Logo.jpg

Orlando. Gorgeous!

So even if Wisconsin rushes for 346 yards but turns it over 8 times and we score 50 points, we're still gonna lose? just sayin.

Capital_One_Logo.jpg

Orlando. Gorgeous!

:rollin :rollin :rollin

GBR!!!

There is a 4 year agreement with Rose Bowl, that it is allowed to pick a team OUTSIDE of the Pac 12 every 4 years if their at-large team makes it to the National Title. That was done in '11, when they chose TCU, 2 years ago. With that, IF there is a Pac 12 team in the top 14 BCS rankings, and Oregon makes it to the National Title, then that is whoever the B1G Conference Game will face. This has been discussed many times before on the board.

This is an unwritten rule that does not need to be followed by the Rose Bowl. They will chose who they want because of MONEY. If they have a chance to have ND and us play, they will take it.

• Fire 1

JTrain--thanks for the information. Pretty much sums up what we were thinking on this board already.

As for Rose Bowl loyalty to the Pac-12 and tradition...the Rose Bowl has already broke with tradition. And I mentioned elsewhere that some of the salt-of-the-Earth B1G fans I work with...well...while they're glad DoNU is in the B1G, they kind of see the Rose Bowl tradition somewhat sullied with a Nebraska B1G championship and berth.

Plus, with all of the anti-B1G press constantly going on about how down our conference is, the Rose Bowl may be pressed to do something to 'extra' to make the matchup more enticing to television viewers. Notre Dame would do this (only if they're undefeated), but the only team on that list of at-large candidates that would make the Rose Bowl a 'must watch' game for the nation would be Oklahoma.

While this would make the traditionalists upset, even the B1G fans would have to admit it would be an instant Top-5 bowl to watch. And let's check off the intangibles: traditional rivals, conference realignment politics, the 2010 Big XII Title Game, and the Ohio connection between the coaches would certainly get more butts in front of TVs than a UCLA/Nebraska, Oregon State/Nebraska, or Stanford/Nebraska Rose Bowl.

Again, this discussion is rendered moot if Oregon chokes in the regular season or doesn't win its title game...but I don't think that's likely.

This is an unwritten rule that does not need to be followed by the Rose Bowl. They will chose who they want because of MONEY. If they have a chance to have ND and us play, they will take it.

Correct. If there are no Pac-12 at-large candidates, then the Rose Bowl gets free reign, and Stumpy hit the reason right on the head.

---

Also, found this via HuskerNationNick's link (thanks for the official information, BTW):

Team-selection procedures

The bowls will select their participants from two pools: (1) automatic qualifiers, all of which must be selected, and (2) at-large teams, if fewer than 10 teams qualify automatically. The following sequence will be used when establishing pairings:

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings will be placed in the National Championship Game (hereinafter "NCG").

2. Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:

Atlantic Coast Conference -- Orange Bowl

Big Ten Conference -- Rose Bowl

Big 12 Conference -- Fiesta Bowl

Pac-10 Conference -- Rose Bowl

Southeastern Conference -- Sugar Bowl

3. If a bowl loses a host team to the NCG, then such bowl shall select a replacement team from among the automatic-qualifying teams and the at-large teams before any other selections are made. If two bowls lose host teams to the NCG, each bowl will get a replacement pick before any other selections are made. In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.

(For the games in January 2011 through 2014, the first year the Rose Bowl loses a team to the NCG and a team from the non-AQ group is an automatic qualifier, that non-AQ team will play in the Rose Bowl.)

I think the TCU selection is throwing folks a bit--the Rose Bowl was obligated per the last item here, it appears, to take TCU that year, as they lost the Pac-12 champ to the NC game. The Rose Bowl, it appears, may not have willingly taken TCU. I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, so I apologize in advance if I'm regurgitating something already known here.

Also, this doesn't mean the Rose Bowl is 'required' to take a Pac-12 team if Oregon goes to the NC. In fact, per the rules above, the Rose Bowl's hands are tied if no other Pac-12 team hits at-large status.

So for those folks saying the Rose Bowl will pick a Pac-12 team no matter what...I don't believe the BCS rules support this...

Yes, this is already being discussed here.

In short, the Rose Bowl is obligated to pick a BCS at-large team if Oregon makes it to the title game. Since it doesn't appear that any other Pac-12 teams will hit at-large status in the BCS, then (an undefeated) Notre Dame, the loser of the SEC Title Game, Oklahoma, and LSU are all potential at-large candidates.

If Notre Dame loses, though, I don't see them making the Top 8 and getting a BCS berth. They become a simple 'at-large' if they fall out of the Top 8 of the BCS, and there are more enticing matchups against Nebraska the Rose Bowl could make.

Frankly, if Notre Dame loses one of their remaining games and Oklahoma wins out, I'd put money on the Rose Bowl picking Oklahoma. Much better matchup than any of the other at-large candidates, save for possibly LSU.