Beck Vs Watson

Some day, Beck or some other OC is also going to deal with a developing quarterback, or a starter hampered with injury and a line decimated by it. That's the real danger in subscribing to these arguments just to put a guy down.

The OU game, we were doing great before a mind-numbing interception in the endzone. And then the entire team unraveled.

Beck is in tune with what Bo wants and that cohesive vision for the offense is something no team can do without. We didn't have that under Watson because what Bo wanted and what Watson was good at weren't really in the neighborhood of the same. That arrangement couldn't last forever, but now Watson can run his own thing at Louisville, and we're forging ahead with a very sweet offense under Beck, so it works out for everybody.

Exactly. Watson is fine at what he does. He was kept here (as was Gilmore) to maintain at least a semblance of continuity from the last coaching staff to this, to help the players ease with the transition. Turner Gill did this for Callahan after Frank was fired. It was never intended that Watson & Gilmore would be permanent parts of Bo Pelini's regime, just like it was never intended that Gill would be a permanent part of Callahan's. Once the transition was done, they went on their ways.

Bo didn't keep Watson because Watson is "bad," Bo didn't keep him because he has a different vision of what his offense should be than Watson. That's simply a matter of preference, like preferring pepperoni pizza over sausage.

I'd be happy with either guy. Beck is doing fine this year and I have no reason to gripe at the moment.

Watson is an offensive guru. Many people hate on this guy, but its simple, what he wanted, didn't fit for us. He had the talent, but it his system was way to complex for a kid to come in and learn right away. His system takes a kid a year or two to fully understand, and that is why he would be a perfect NFL OC in my opinion. Coming out of high school, learning basic x's and o's, to having to learn 100 different types of plays, with different cross routes, its hard. Some get it, most don't at this level.

Beck's scheme is simple, but yet complicated. Again, took these kids two years to learn. There are 40 different spread plays for them to choose from. If Martinez would have had another year under Watson, he would have performed better than his first year.

With that said, I would take Beck over Watson, but Watson is great at what he does.

By the way, it took Ganz 5 years to run that offense. A lot of times guys don't get 5.

You mean it took 3.5 years for Ganz to step out of the shadow and get an opportunity to run that offense. He did pretty dang good w/ the second half of his junior year that he was given. He was behind Zac Taylor - a quality QB, and then got kicked to the curb for the hot transfer which was certainly no fault of his. I'd give you that it took a couple years for Watson to be in sync w/ his QB - but it takes just as long w/ Beck. Our offense was vanilla last year, and is just now starting to open up to T-Mart. That's no different than any other offense. If we have a freshman coming in knowing the entire playbook on day 1, or even after year 1 - either we have one hell of a QB, or are running a HS offensive scheme.

Couldn't stand the guy's inability to develop a QB.

I'll probably get flamed for this. I really think Beck has done a great job...better than Watson.

But I think if we're honest, it's fair to Watson to admit that he did all of the heavy lifting of transitioning us from the west coast stuff to the zone read. Martinez was recruited during his time at OC. And, Martinez was a very, very green freshman who got injured that year.

Ganz was great, but our defense didn't hold up in the first half of the season that year. Zac Lee didn't fit the mold that Watson wanted at QB in 2009, but he did the best he could with what he had.

So he didn't have anything close to a Junior year Taylor Martinez and a developed Kenny Bell, Jamal Turner, Ameer Abdullah, etc.

I feel like Watson really got judged by that 2010 season. Occasionally I wonder what would have happened to Watson if we would have scored 21 points in that second half of the CCG against Oklahoma and had won by two touchdowns.

• Fire 1

Couldn't stand the guy's inability to develop a QB.

I'll probably get flamed for this. I really think Beck has done a great job...better than Watson.

But I think if we're honest, it's fair to Watson to admit that he did all of the heavy lifting of transitioning us from the west coast stuff to the zone read. Martinez was recruited during his time at OC. And, Martinez was a very, very green freshman who got injured that year.

Ganz was great, but our defense didn't hold up in the first half of the season that year. Zac Lee didn't fit the mold that Watson wanted at QB in 2009, but he did the best he could with what he had.

So he didn't have anything close to a Junior year Taylor Martinez and a developed Kenny Bell, Jamal Turner, Ameer Abdullah, etc.

I feel like Watson really got judged by that 2010 season. Occasionally I wonder what would have happened to Watson if we would have scored 21 points in that second half of the CCG against Oklahoma and had won by two touchdowns.

We would have housed UCONN in the Fiesta Bowl and he might have kept his job. He never fit with Bo's ideas, so he still might have headed for greener pastures.

We would have housed UCONN in the Fiesta Bowl and he might have kept his job. He never fit with Bo's ideas, so he still might have headed for greener pastures.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm just curious how this idea got started?

Which idea, getting rid of Watson? If so, that idea came after the 1st year Bo was Head Coach. Watson was a TO hire, so Bo was asked to wait another year, if things didn't improve, then he was allowed to look further for another OC. This is what I am told, how far the truth is, not sure. That following year, Watson was gone, so I assume there is truth to it lol.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm just curious how this idea got started?

Which idea, getting rid of Watson? If so, that idea came after the 1st year Bo was Head Coach. Watson was a TO hire, so Bo was asked to wait another year, if things didn't improve, then he was allowed to look further for another OC. This is what I am told, how far the truth is, not sure. That following year, Watson was gone, so I assume there is truth to it lol.

he was here 3 years though...??...so like "that following year he was still here, and the following year after that he was still here.....then that following year, he was gone" err were u talking about after 09?

he was here 3 years though...??...so like "that following year he was still here, and the following year after that he was still here.....then that following year, he was gone" err were u talking about after 09?

I was talking about after the '09 season, Bo was wanting to let Watson go. He was supposedly asked to give him one more year for improvement by TO. Then after '10, Watson was let go, but Bo being a generous guy, helped him land the job at Louisville.

More so the idea that Bo never thought that Watson "fit in" with his program/style/offensive preferences. What you posted above (about Osborne's wishes for Watson to stay on with Bo to add "continuity" to the switchover) has been perpetuated widely on here and elsewhere. I'm just curious as to the actual evidence that Bo didn't ever give Watson a fighting chance. I'm just not seeing that.

And I think it's still interesting to think about winning the conference title in 2010 and then winning a BCS bowl. I know it's hypothetical and insignificant...but it's still kind of interesting.

I think you'd have to be pretty bad to not be successful with what Taylor, Bell, Turner, Enumwa, Abdullah, and our offensive line have developed into. That's more of the point, I guess.