Bo Pelini and the Write Off Season of 2012

Nebula

After UCLA I thought we might go 6-6. Bo and this team proved me wrong. From the guys we had playing to the staff that he had assembled. That is why he is a coach and I am an internet guru!

This team, although mistake prone at the worst possible moments, won't quit. That is an awesome trait and characteristic to instill in the young men under his charge. It serves them well in the game and even better in life.

Good post!

Loved the post. The only thing that hit me differently was the "BRUTAL SCHEDULE" comment. I think this schedule was pretty easy and the B1G sucks in football this year as in the past. To me, it is the weakest in years.

The conference as a whole may be a little "off" this year but there is no denying we definitely had the most brutal schedule, by design, within the B1G. I also think, as the season progresses, it is being revealed to not be quite as weak of a conference as it may have appeared early on.

Excellent post Nebula.

Loved the post. The only thing that hit me differently was the "BRUTAL SCHEDULE" comment. I think this schedule was pretty easy and the B1G sucks in football this year as in the past. To me, it is the weakest in years.

The B1G may be off this year, but it is still in the name. Ohio St., Michigan, Mich. St., Penn St., those are some big, well respected names in the world of college football.

I heard that JP uses the tape for sending in plays, kinda "highlights" his fingers so they are easier to see for the players

It's the same type of thing that some catchers do in baseball so that the pitcher can see how many fingers he has up.

But great post! I kind of skimmed it, but when I have more time I will read it in its entirety. Great perspective!

Our schedule wasn't as tough as some (me) had feared early in the season, but it was as difficult as it could have been. We were one marquis non-conference opponent away from having a top-tier SOS. As it stands now, we've played the #31 SOS in the country (Sagarin). The only other B1G team to play a tougher schedule was Michigan State, but only because Notre Dame has had a lights-out year that nobody expected. They chipped in at #26.

Based on straight wins/losses, the NCAA has us at the #3 overall SOS, which is amazing considering we've played two teams (Southern Miss and Idaho State) with a combined 1-21 record. Michigan State is second in the conference, according to the NCAA, at #5.

We've played seven of the top nine teams in our conference (minus ourselves and Purdue), and we've gone 6-1 against them, a feat I'll put up against any team in any other conference.

I wouldn't say Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State or Ohio State would be easy wins for anyone. Preseason really made us (as in the conference) look horrible, but a lot has changed within most of these teams since. Wisconsin isn't going with O'Brien anymore, 3 of those losses came under him. Stave was doing a tremendous job, but due to that injury Phillips is in, which he is doing a great job as well. I think if you started either of those two from the beginning of the year, their record would be way different. Same goes for Michigan. If they would have started Gardner from the beginning of the season, I believe they would be a 1-2 loss team. They would have beat Notre Dame. Penn State, they found a groove after their first two losses, and it had to be ended my tOSU and us. Northwestern, they are some tough SOB's. The games they have lost, have been to credible teams, and it wasn't by much at all. Ohio State's record speaks for itself, and Michigan State... they have a stellar D, despite the hurting we put on them, and they are playing much better than the beginning of the year as well. I don't think a single one of those teams are a pushover or "weak", besides maybe MSU in general.