Interesting read on OWH about TO's retirement in 1997

lo country

I had always thought that when TO promised to retire it was a promise to Nancy. New book says that the "will retire in 5 years"promise was actually made to Frank. TO was set to leave in 1996, but when Jason Peter and Wistrom came back, TO went to Solich and asked if he could stay 1 more year to be with the guys. Had Frank said no, TO says he would have honored the request. Didn't know frank was also offered OC under Alvarez at Wisky prior to getting the reigns at NU.

Interesting read. Looking forward to the book.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121117/HUSKERS/311189972

Gaaaaahhhh!!!! I would have liked to see that 99 team coached by TO. And does this mean Nancy was thrown under the bus when it was all Frank's doing?!?

I think if TO was still coaching he would have won the title that year. I'm almost positive that would have been the case. Oh what might have been...

I don't blame Frank, insofar as once TO got on his run, why not tell Tom he could hold the reigns for another 3-4 yrs.

basically, frank should have gone to him and said, "I know we have an agreement, but there is something really special going on here, lets ride it out, you deserve it."

What could TO have done with the 99 and 00 squads? Better than frank?

Who knows what wouldve happened if Tom wouldve remained coaching up through, say,2001. I think it's easy to say we probably wouldve have NC's in 99, 2000, and 2001. McBride wouldve probably stayed on staff so we wouldnt have had the Jeckyl/Hyde defenses of Bohl. The recruiting wouldve remained competitive instead of the wheels falling off like they did for Solich. Those three teams were in NC conversation anyway. With the juggernaut that had been established by the 96 to 97 timeframe, there's a lot of coulda, shoulda, woulda had Tom remained coach for even another 5 years.

TO was a master playcaller. Frank (for the most part) was ultra conservative. I remember tiring of that fullback trap in 98.... then there was the issue of a less disciplined team. The fumbles for sure. Things TO would've easilty rectified. 98 wouldn't have ended with 4 losses that's for sure. Could you imagine 4 national titles in 6 years! And who knows how 2000 would've ended as the OU game would've certainly gone differently with TO's playcalling....

Who knows what wouldve happened if Tom wouldve remained coaching up through, say,2001. I think it's easy to say we probably wouldve have NC's in 99, 2000, and 2001. McBride wouldve probably stayed on staff so we wouldnt have had the Jeckyl/Hyde defenses of Bohl. The recruiting wouldve remained competitive instead of the wheels falling off like they did for Solich. Those three teams were in NC conversation anyway. With the juggernaut that had been established by the 96 to 97 timeframe, there's a lot of coulda, shoulda, woulda had Tom remained coach for even another 5 years.

This is a pretty good summation IMHO. Maybe we all are in danger of having an inflated view of our abilities to handle challenges.

Just bought the book tonight, been through the first 1 1/2 chapters. It puts a light on many of the stories/rumors we heard over the years, but nothing overly mindblowing, except that TO visited LP in prison when we were in SD for the holiday bowl vs. Arizona.

where did you get the book? I looked on amazon and it wasnt there. I know what I am asking for Christmas! chuckleshuffle

Based on how the sole reason we didn't go to the title game in 1999 was due to fumblitis, I think TO would have put us over the top that year. Who knows what he would have done with the 2000 team. They were a legitimate BCS team that year even though they got passed up. The 2000 offense was a juggernaut rushing the ball. Would have been nice to have kept the train rolling instead of going through all these years of ridicule. When I was in school there were a lot of grumblings about lack of discipline after Solich took over (on the football field that is) and about the fact that he didn't command the respect that TO did from the players.

I just want to win a BCS game this year to get that monkey off Pelini's back so we can gain momentum in the program. Without a conference title I don't think we've gained all that much.