Pompous David Stern

TonyStalloni

IMO, they ought to cut the regular season to 50-60 games. Last year was one of the more interesting seasons to watch the NBA because the lockout shortened the season. It increased the relevance of the regular season a lot, and that's what I think needs to be done permanently.

The obstacle is that franchises won't want to shorten the season because they will have fewer games to sell tickets and therefore less income.

I'm on the fence on this

One side is, yes, It is Popavich's team. If he wants to rest the starters for a game and send them home so be it. It's an 82-game frickin season. One loss will not make or break it. For the fans complaining about buying tickets in Miami to see Tim Duncan? too bad, you are a doosh fan then, and dont deserve anything for joy. But i guess if Pop thinks he can gain a competitive advantage in the long run by resting these guys, that should be his preference. Lastly, is there a writtin rule against such a thing? If not, how is it logical that Stern can do anything but piss and moan like a little bitch? Is HE the one writing those players paychecks?

Other side: This point of view may be different then most but Jebus chist, youou make millions of dollars to play a fricken game. Get off your high horse. I know this probably was not the player's decision and they woulda played, and always have, had the coach not decided on this, but give me a break. You need a night off from basketball because youre too tired? Well boo fricken hoo. It's your job. Do it. I'm tired at my job a lot too.

Other side: This point of view may be different then most but Jebus chist, youou make millions of dollars to play a fricken game. Get off your high horse. I know this probably was not the player's decision and they woulda played, and always have, had the coach not decided on this, but give me a break. You need a night off from basketball because youre too tired? Well boo fricken hoo. It's your job. Do it. I'm tired at my job a lot too.

Have you ever played four full-length NBA game minutes in five nights? I haven't, so I can't comment on whether or not guys need to suck it up or not. However, I do know that jobs limit the number of hours you can work for a reason, and generally send you home if you're going over a certain amount.

Have you ever played four full-length NBA game minutes in five nights? I haven't, so I can't comment on whether or not guys need to suck it up or not. However, I do know that jobs limit the number of hours you can work for a reason, and generally send you home if you're going over a certain amount.

No. I havent either. But, they make millions of dollars. I dont want to hear there excuses. But like I said. Im on the fence of the whole situation. I see both sides.

I know what I feel like after playing noon "Y" ball for 1.5 hrs 3 days a week on a short court. Even in prime shape, playing 4 games in 5 nights would be draining. Once an older body gets to the point of fatigue it takes a few days of rest to recover. Granted they get paid buku dollars. I understand that. My thoughts are that a coach should be able to play/not play his team as he sees fit. A$$hat Stern wants more loyalty to the league than to the team that writes the checks.

This fine is such a crock of sh#t. When was the last time a November NBA game was meaningful????

Agreed stern is an ass clown. as a spurs fan I expect Pop to continue this. It is a very smart and strategic plan. And how is losing a 5 point game when it took a Ray Allen 3 in the end to clinch it not competitive.

This must mean the Wizards are so far in the red that it may compare to the national debt

No. I havent either. But, they make millions of dollars. I dont want to hear there excuses. But like I said. Im on the fence of the whole situation. I see both sides.

i would argue they make millions of dollars to win. those players are investments and it is up to the coach to maximize their value. taking a night off might pay dividends come the playoffs.

this really bothers me. it is pop's team. if the gm was mad, fine. that is his business. but stern is way out of line.

And yet, once more, Stern's tossed a temper tantrum that left everyone around him embarrassed, humiliated and wondering why he insisted on staying until February of 2014. All these years, Stern and his underlings privately complained and moaned that no one wanted to watch the Spurs, that they destroyed his TV ratings, that they were uninteresting, unappealing and impossible to market to the masses.

And now, this act of condemnation for Popovich – which resulted in a $250,000 fine for San Antoniohanded down by the league office Friday evening – would be bathed in the ultimate of twisted irony: Without the Spurs' stars, Stern was selling that the NBA logo had been desecrated, that a public trust had been betrayed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.html

And see this is my biggest issue with all of this. I love watching the spurs. I love real basketball. It's like college football. I love watching the defense make plays. I love watching solid tecnique. Stern whines about the spurs style not attracting attention because they're not flying all over the court scoring 100+ every night and their opponents get held to low scores...different styles are what makes sports fun. It's part of the reason I love college football over NFL. The variety of offenses and defenses...