Diamond Formation for tomorrow?

I don't know how many fans pick up on this (I'm sure the coaches do), but every single time we come out in the diamond, and I literally mean every single time, it's at least a guaranteed first down and usually is pretty damn close to scoring.

Here's to hoping we've been keeping that ace in our pocket.

I think you'll see everything we have in the playbook if we need to do that. I don't think you can completely stop the diamond no matter what you do, so many different things to run out of that formation.

I would love to see us use it heavy for a series or two. I think the key is here is to go extremely up-tempo, because the advantage it gives is all in numbers. Putting too many options and weapons going certain ways that there's no possible way to cover them all, but that advantage can be negated the second we let Wisconsin get substitutions in or get new checks or calls from the sideline.

The diamond is a fan favorite and has worked well, but I don't think Beck has a lot of plays out of that set, which is probably why we run it so infrequently. Seems to be mostly sweep or zone reads, cant remember any pass plays out of that. That said, hopefully Beck has some more plays out of it that he's kept under wraps.

The diamond is a fan favorite and has worked well, but I don't think Beck has a lot of plays out of that set, which is probably why we run it so infrequently. Seems to be mostly sweep or zone reads, cant remember any pass plays out of that. That said, hopefully Beck has some more plays out of it that he's kept under wraps.

On a related note to what's been mentioned above, just because we haven't run a lot of plays out of this set doesn't mean we don't have the option for tons of possibilities. The way Beck has built our offense is really something - we are able to be extremely flexible in what we do, regardless of formation, original playcall, and regardless of what other positions on the field might be doing (as in there isn't one set play that determines what each group does, they each have their own element of a playcall, if that makes sense). Out of the diamond, theoretically, without having practiced it a ton, we should have the ability to pull out zone-reads, sweeps, reverses, play-action passes deep, play-action screens, quarterback keeps with lead blockers, quarterback traps, etc.

I think you'll see everything we have in the playbook if we need to do that. I don't think you can completely stop the diamond no matter what you do, so many different things to run out of that formation.

I would love to see us use it heavy for a series or two. I think the key is here is to go extremely up-tempo, because the advantage it gives is all in numbers. Putting too many options and weapons going certain ways that there's no possible way to cover them all, but that advantage can be negated the second we let Wisconsin get substitutions in or get new checks or calls from the sideline.

I agree with keeping things up tempo. That's a strength for us. It wears down the opposing defense. I saw this happen to Wiscy in the Penn State game. They tend to start out strong but lose steam in the 4th quarter.

I really think (hope) we see stuff we haven't seen all year as well as plays we have seen on film that can set up another play. Beck really needs to call one play to set up another.

Agree with up tempo. Think it might have been OSU going up tempo against Michicken and keeping in their base set so not to allow Michicken D to sub. We need this. Run up tempo and go down their throat. Get them playing catch up and take them out of their run game.

I also hope on D, we account for Phillips. I would hate this statue QB pull a Gilbert Grape on us...........

I would love to see that formation a lot! I think you could run a QB counter off of that similar to what OSU did to use with their zone read QB counter. I also like the play action off of that formation. Wisconsin is really strong up front but if you can spread them out or get the edge they can be had. Definitely want to see some counters if they cheat to the outside. Wouldn't be surprised to see them line their Rush Ends wide where they try to pinch us down.

I would love to see us in the I-formation with Martinez at QB, and Burkhead and Abdullah behind him in a 2 iback formation. Imagine how much they'd have to worry about the run, and Nebraska could play action pass too.

Another wrinkle not really shown a lot this year. This is the kind of stuff we need to do. Get Wisky off balance from the KO to the final whistle.

I have said before in other threads that Beck commented that it takes a while for the O to get going as the defenses have been showing new wrinkles and we have to adjust. For once, let's see a game plan that takes into account their D will be set up to stop offense A. Let's come out with B. We are THAT (hate to say it )Multiple!

My understanding is that the diamond formation was originally designed for play action passes. That said, this season in particular we've mostly gone to the ground out of that formation.