Chatelain hits the nail on the head with three sentences

I am not sure he has gotten worse, or has been used in other than perfect situations. That is due to the lack of depth/injuries/bodies on the team. Puts some kids in bad situations. Falls back on the first year of recruiting I guess, or at least that is what I am hoping.

I factor it to all the bad weight he has put on. He is not nearly as good of a DE as he was 2 seasons ago.

If you drove a compact car doing sales for a couple years, and then one day your company decided to put you behind the wheel of a loaded down 18 wheeler, you might find it difficult to adjust

Point being, Meredith is not the type of DE we need for what we are now trying to do. He doesnt fit very well with are new defensive mindset in this new conference. He was more suited for Big 12 defense.

It's only one, so it's a little irrelevant, but Meredith was definitely part of Bo's first class.

you are correct - but he committed in August. 5 months before Bo Pelini ever came into the picture.

Damn you. Why bring facts into this to steal my thunder?

haha - no worries. It is fairly concerning though - essentially, in 5 classes Bo has yet to recruit a defensive tackle to NU that is even average at their position. Suh, Stein, Crick were Cally's, and even the DE that is having to shift to fill the spot vacated by an injured Cally recruit is another Cally recruit.

Quentin Toaila - 3* - MISS

Cole Pensick - 3* - OL

Thad Randle - 3* - Holding down a starting spot out of necessity not skill

Jay Guy - 3* - MISS

Chase Rome - 4* - Questionable

Todd Peat - 4* - Yet to make an impact

Kevin Williams 3* - yet to make an impact

Aaron Currey - 3* - still young

Vincent Valentine - 3* - still young

That means in 5 classes...Bo only recruited a total 7 guys to fill the 2 most vital positions on his defense - positions that are constantly riddled with injuries (as is the case on most teams). Meanwhile, during that same period we recruited 22 DBs. Oh, and during that same period - we only signed 17 guys to fill the 5 spots on the offensive line (5 of which are gone). Hmmm...take a guess which of those 3 positions is the strongest. Any idea why we lack depth on the OL/DL?

• Fire 1

I am not sure he has gotten worse, or has been used in other than perfect situations. That is due to the lack of depth/injuries/bodies on the team. Puts some kids in bad situations. Falls back on the first year of recruiting I guess, or at least that is what I am hoping.

I factor it to all the bad weight he has put on. He is not nearly as good of a DE as he was 2 seasons ago.

If you drove a compact car doing sales for a couple years, and then one day your company decided to put you behind the wheel of a loaded down 18 wheeler, you might find it difficult to adjust

Point being, Meredith is not the type of DE we need for what we are now trying to do. He doesnt fit very well with are new defensive mindset in this new conference. He was more suited for Big 12 defense.

I would sy it more like loading your compact car with sand rather than getting an 18 wheeler. Cam is not built to carry that much weight.

It's only one, so it's a little irrelevant, but Meredith was definitely part of Bo's first class.

you are correct - but he committed in August. 5 months before Bo Pelini ever came into the picture.

haha - no worries. It is fairly concerning though - essentially, in 5 classes Bo has yet to recruit a defensive tackle to NU that is even average at their position. Suh, Stein, Crick were Cally's, and even the DE that is having to shift to fill the spot vacated by an injured Cally recruit is another Cally recruit.

Cole Pensick - 3* - OL

Jay Guy - 3* - MISS

That means in 5 classes...Bo only recruited a total 7 guys to fill the 2 most vital positions on his defense - positions that are constantly riddled with injuries (as is the case on most teams). Meanwhile, during that same period we recruited 22 DBs. Oh, and during that same period - we only signed 17 guys to fill the 5 spots on the offensive line (5 of which are gone). Hmmm...take a guess which of those 3 positions is the strongest. Any idea why we lack depth on the OL/DL?

Wow. I had no idea it was so lopsided. Thanks KC, your post basically explains everything that is currently wrong with the holes in this team. Any idea if the prospects for the 2013 class are any different?

Cole Pensick - 3* - OL

Jay Guy - 3* - MISS

Wow. I had no idea it was so lopsided. Thanks KC, your post basically explains everything that is currently wrong with the holes in this team. Any idea if the prospects for the 2013 class are any different?

To put it bluntly. THEY BETTER BE.

Occurs to me that maybe it is different for relocated Huskers than the in-state fans.

My in-state brother assures me almost everyone he talks to supports Pelini.

An unofficial survey of my Husker friends who moved elsewhere turns up a lot more grumbling and outright blaming of Bo.

I think there's a tendancy to circle the wagons when outsiders attack you, but some of us ex-Nebraskans still bleed red and our perspective may be of value.

Case in point: Bo Pelini is perceived as a hothead. He's not the only hothead coaching college football. The national media doesn't make a bigger deal about Bo than any other hothead coach. But Bo did go out and earn that reputation, so it's not a false perception. He may have improved his anger management issues, I personally don't mind some raging on the sidelines, but Bo also makes chippy remarks to the press and it's a bad look. Not just from a PR perspective, but as a guy who's not in control the way he should be. You shouldn't be able to get under his skin that easy. Just as the Huskers shouldn't get so rattled in big games. Those things might be connected.

Also, women don't seem to like Bo. You can blow that off, or realize that every recruit has a mother. Top recruits have a lot of choices. And you wouldn't be "a brat" for thinking twice about Bo's demeanor and his team's nationally televised embarrasments. As a football legacy, Nebraska will always attract talent, but I see no reason to celebrate Bo's style as a recruiting tool.

Some folks who live and breathe Nebraska think any negative attention is part of a national conspiracy against the Huskers. When you move away, you start to realize it's not. It just is what it is. Husker fans make it worse by getting paranoid.

I thought Bo was the man the first two seasons and overlooked a few things that weren't my style. Then more and more things just didn't feel right. I come on here and find the Husker faithful explaining everything wrong with Husker football according to the OC the DC and the position coaches. Five years later, some still yearn to blame Bill Callahan. You wouldn't do that with any other team. You'd point to the Head Coach. That's what being a head coach is all about.

Long way of saying it's perfectly okay to have serious misginvings about Bo Pelini.

As always, happy to be proved wrong.

Georgia would be a great place to start.

• Fire 2

But of course all of your oppinions are facts, we understand.

Some serious information in this thread, information on the recruiting is enlightening.

I agree with what Guy is saying. I think it is tougher for us out here, away from Nebraska. But I have lived most of my life away from Nebraska, in the Marine Corps and retired in California. I have lived here longer than any where. In honesty, it was never a problem, not even during the Clownahan years, but the internet is bigger and wider now. More people have it than during some of his time I guess. Frank was disscussed and beat up too.

And I might add it is not always friendly. I put up with every thing that could be taken as wrong, by my SC friends. Most think Bo is an idiot, and we are talking about past SC players and tennis stars. I would think they would be more acceptive due to their pasts. Of course it could be they like pulling my chain.

But the thoughts of anyone who supports the program/team/staff/players is to be considered, not just the popular thoughts.

I will share this little bit, I met Cameron Meredith' father. He is developing a large multi million dollar home development near me. He is a member of our mountain club due to that. He says that Cam absolutely loves Bo and Nebraska. That is a positive for me. The kid takes a lot of hits from the fans, but is very loyal.

That's the thing about to team, I don't think there is anyone on the team that has anything bad to say about Pelini as a person. He has a mystique around him that has been fanned by media about being a hot head. He is really passionate on the sideline, but he absolutely has improved over the last few years.

But there is absolutely nothing bad being said from inside the program. Not even really anything hinted at. It seems like there's two perceptions with the team, the ones we have as fans hearing rumors and 2nd hand stories and the perception that the team has (which is also true about every program).

That's the thing about to team, I don't think there is anyone on the team that has anything bad to say about Pelini as a person. He has a mystique around him that has been fanned by media about being a hot head. He is really passionate on the sideline, but he absolutely has improved over the last few years.

But there is absolutely nothing bad being said from inside the program. Not even really anything hinted at. It seems like there's two perceptions with the team, the ones we have as fans hearing rumors and 2nd hand stories and the perception that the team has (which is also true about every program).

you're right, they aren't on the team anymore. Would you expect to hear anything negative? And as for nothing bad being said...did you forget about one of the best recruits in the Pelini era...Tyler Moore? What about Klatchko. How about Rome? That's only a small percentage of the team, but I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say it's always sunshine and hugs in that locker room. We have had a huge number of high profile transfers in the last couple of years, and it would be naive to think they were all for no other reason than the selfishness of the player. Tyler Moore and the Rome thing bit us in the ass this year. That is 2 very public instances that disprove your second paragraph...and 2 very obvious instances where it impacted the team negatively. We missed Moore a lot this year, and Rome was essentially sidelined the rest of the year and his progress was stalled.

you're right, they aren't on the team anymore. Would you expect to hear anything negative? And as for nothing bad being said...did you forget about one of the best recruits in the Pelini era...Tyler Moore? What about Klatchko. How about Rome? That's only a small percentage of the team, but I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say it's always sunshine and hugs in that locker room. We have had a huge number of high profile transfers in the last couple of years, and it would be naive to think they were all for no other reason than the selfishness of the player. Tyler Moore and the Rome thing bit us in the ass this year. That is 2 very public instances that disprove your second paragraph...and 2 very obvious instances where it impacted the team negatively. We missed Moore a lot this year, and Rome was essentially sidelined the rest of the year and his progress was stalled.

Eh, yes and no. Moore and Klatchko I'll give ya, but Rome basically sat out the Idaho St game and played the rest of the season. He played A LOT towards the end of the year especially. I think most fans look at the Rome incident as a positive because he was given a 2nd chance and worked his way back on the field (helps when there is zero depth, mind you).

As percentage though, i don't think we have any more transfers / players leaving the program than anyone else. It doesn't mean we didn't lose some key guys and talent but sometimes that's the way it goes.

Some serious information in this thread, information on the recruiting is enlightening.

I agree with what Guy is saying. I think it is tougher for us out here, away from Nebraska. But I have lived most of my life away from Nebraska, in the Marine Corps and retired in California. I have lived here longer than any where. In honesty, it was never a problem, not even during the Clownahan years, but the internet is bigger and wider now. More people have it than during some of his time I guess. Frank was disscussed and beat up too.

And I might add it is not always friendly. I put up with every thing that could be taken as wrong, by my SC friends. Most think Bo is an idiot, and we are talking about past SC players and tennis stars. I would think they would be more acceptive due to their pasts. Of course it could be they like pulling my chain.

But the thoughts of anyone who supports the program/team/staff/players is to be considered, not just the popular thoughts.

I

Not really disagreeing with you but my perspective on the in-state / out-of-state views on Bo boil down to exposure. Those living in NE read all the papers, watch EVERY game and tend to see Bo with the good and bad (mostly good, a few exceptions). Out of state fans are not likely as exposed and are judging Bo from a smaller sample size. Makes it easier to make a quick judgement. just my .02

I will share this little bit, I met Cameron Meredith' father. He is developing a large multi million dollar home development near me. He is a member of our mountain club due to that. He says that Cam absolutely loves Bo and Nebraska. That is a positive for me. The kid takes a lot of hits from the fans, but is very loyal.

In regards to that last snippet about the Merediths-That's really what I try to point out that those folks you here from out there really dont know Bo. They most likely dont know anything about him whatsoever other than what they see on saturday afternoon, in which case, yes, he's a prick. You have to know the guy, in which case, if some recruit making a decision on where he's going to spend the next 4-5 years of his life and likely be the place where he sets the tone for the rest of his life, then he better be getting to know the guy a whole lot better than what the perception is, otherwise, like I've said before, he's probably not worth the trouble. I would bet that Bo is probably held in pretty high regards by anyone whose opinion matters such as collegues around the country who actually know him. Even our local media-outside of Dirk-to me has seemed to even come around to understanding Bo.

I respect your opinions Skersfan. Always have, even as much as I disagree with most. I've never had anything personal against you and you provide what can be seen as an outside perspective that can be rather imperative.