Keep the improved defensive recruiting in mind

First year HC, with really no big names under you for assistants. How does that make kids just want to come to your university? Weather doesn't play in our favor, as most kids from the East and West Coast want to stay in warmer weather. I have been much more impressed with last years recruits and so far this years. Its getting better, and there is no denying that. Our offense is by far top 10, if not 5 recruited offense in the nation. Heard, Abdullah, Turner, Bell and Allen. All outstanding athletes and perform strong. Now its time for defense. I believe with the offense Bo has recruited, that will make kids want to come here. Powerful offense who will continue success. Starting in the hands of Martinez to Armstrong to Stanton. Who wouldn't want to play with any three of these guys?

Our defense and offensive line are key right now. Could you imagine how much better we would be with the talent/size of Alabama's or Wisky's O-line? Our O-line is very good for what we have, and they have been coached hard to be where they are at. We are top 10 in rushing.

I totally agree. As of right now....I think most of us know that NEB needs a talent upgrade, especially on the d-line. They got straight manhandled by Wiscy.

We are very thin at LBs and D-linemen. What happened Saturday was a combination of a beat-up and undersized linemen, where our linebackers (who aren't good enough at their own position) had to cover. The end result was like playing with 10 players instead of 11. Wisconsin was the worst possible matchup out of anyone in the Big 10, with their huge O-line and two NFL running backs. We've been hanging on by a thread the whole season, and when Baker got hurt, that thread finally snapped.

First year HC, with really no big names under you for assistants. How does that make kids just want to come to your university? Weather doesn't play in our favor, as most kids from the East and West Coast want to stay in warmer weather. I have been much more impressed with last years recruits and so far this years. Its getting better, and there is no denying that. Our offense is by far top 10, if not 5 recruited offense in the nation. Heard, Abdullah, Turner, Bell and Allen. All outstanding athletes and perform strong. Now its time for defense. I believe with the offense Bo has recruited, that will make kids want to come here. Powerful offense who will continue success. Starting in the hands of Martinez to Armstrong to Stanton. Who wouldn't want to play with any three of these guys?

Our defense and offensive line are key right now. Could you imagine how much better we would be with the talent/size of Alabama's or Wisky's O-line? Our O-line is very good for what we have, and they have been coached hard to be where they are at. We are top 10 in rushing.

Eh, I tend to disagree about the offensive line, I think we are Top 10 in rushing because of our RB's talent level. I think the offensive line has been bi-polar, at best, for the entire season. They got pushed around in the CCG........

• Fire 1

Odd how teams with top 10 classes almost always directly correlate to top 10 finishes....but yeah stars etc don't matter.

The stars etc can be off here and there but more often than not they are very accurate. Also note that these "offers" our players had were reported by them. I know for a fact some are not offers that they can commit too.

Look I understand we want to polish the overall effort of Pelini and his staff on the recruiting front. Unfortunately he loves to lay a turd during the season while others are finishing up their classes. We usually get these recruits after the big boys filled there's up and got the top guys on their boards.

Ask the Florida St Seminoles about top 10 finishes. They are in the top 10 in recruiting every year.....hmmm....geeee.....Are you so sure it's "almost always?"

Texas and USC as well.

Ask ND, Bama, LSU, Florida, tOSU, Georgia....and USC and Texas are usually top 10. Texas is the biggest underachiever in the history of college football

We are very thin at LBs and D-linemen. What happened Saturday was a combination of a beat-up and undersized linemen, where our linebackers (who aren't good enough at their own position) had to cover. The end result was like playing with 10 players instead of 11. Wisconsin was the worst possible matchup out of anyone in the Big 10, with their huge O-line and two NFL running backs. We've been hanging on by a thread the whole season, and when Baker got hurt, that thread finally snapped.

Agree with this. Like we have said, LB and DT recruiting has picked up since 2011. But didn't really bring in any horses before that.

Odd how teams with top 10 classes almost always directly correlate to top 10 finishes....but yeah stars etc don't matter.

The stars etc can be off here and there but more often than not they are very accurate. Also note that these "offers" our players had were reported by them. I know for a fact some are not offers that they can commit too.

Look I understand we want to polish the overall effort of Pelini and his staff on the recruiting front. Unfortunately he loves to lay a turd during the season while others are finishing up their classes. We usually get these recruits after the big boys filled there's up and got the top guys on their boards.

Ask the Florida St Seminoles about top 10 finishes. They are in the top 10 in recruiting every year.....hmmm....geeee.....Are you so sure it's "almost always?"

Texas and USC as well.

Ask ND, Bama, LSU, Florida, tOSU, Georgia....and USC and Texas are usually top 10. Texas is the biggest underachiever in the history of college football

Until this year Norte Dame hasnt been a serious top 10 team for sometime.And Texas hasnt been a top 10 team since McCoy left, and USC wont be a legit top team til kiffin is gone. Idk how many people remember but at the begging of last season Richt Georgia's HC was on the hot seat and most predicted he would lose his job. Last year Florida was something like 7-5 and Meyer had left the year before that because of "health reasons." More like lack of talent since Tebow graduated reasons. So while I do think that recruiting is very important, the ability to recruit players that fit your scheme, and develop your average recruit into a major contributor is way more important. ala Bill Snyder and Tom Osbiorne

Texas and USC as well.

Until this year Norte Dame hasnt been a serious top 10 team for sometime.And Texas hasnt been a top 10 team since McCoy left, and USC wont be a legit top team til kiffin is gone. Idk how many people remember but at the begging of last season Richt Georgia's HC was on the hot seat and most predicted he would lose his job. Last year Florida was something like 7-5 and Meyer had left the year before that because of "health reasons." More like lack of talent since Tebow graduated reasons. So while I do think that recruiting is very important, the ability to recruit players that fit your scheme, and develop your average recruit into a major contributor is way more important. ala Bill Snyder and Tom Osbiorne

All of those teams have out recruited and performed us on a regular basis. TO pulled in great classes actually...

There is no denying that TO didnt pull in great classes later on in his career. But before the 90's he didnt pull in classes capable of beating the teams in the south that had way more speed and probably better overall talent then NU had. Every great coach finds the knack to bring in quality recruits. And it usually takes longer than 5 years

Agree to disagree. There is an obvious correlation between recruiting classes and actual rankings. People can knit pick a team here or team there but the top recruiting teams equal the top teams

There is no denying that TO didnt pull in great classes later on in his career. But before the 90's he didnt pull in classes capable of beating the teams in the south that had way more speed and probably better overall talent then NU had. Every great coach finds the knack to bring in quality recruits. And it usually takes longer than 5 years

Agree to disagree. There is an obvious correlation between recruiting classes and actual rankings. People can knit pick a team here or team there but the top recruiting teams equal the top teams

Since your someone who obviously knows everything about everything, when has Nebraska ever been strong in recruiting? Besides the 2005 year under Callahan, which was not even utilized until Bo got his hands on those guys. You can win championships with a decent recruiting class. It doesn't have to be "Top 10". We have won 5 National Titles without being superior on recruiting. Yes that was over a decade ago, but coaching kids has not changed. The only thing that has changed in the last decade in recruiting, is not giving scholarships to instate kids, like TO did in my opinion. IIRC, the highest recruited kids TO recruited, were the Peters brothers.

• Fire 3

Since your someone who obviously knows everything about everything, when has Nebraska ever been strong in recruiting? Besides the 2005 year under Callahan, which was not even utilized until Bo got his hands on those guys. You can win championships with a decent recruiting class. It doesn't have to be "Top 10". We have won 5 National Titles without being superior on recruiting. Yes that was over a decade ago, but coaching kids has not changed. The only thing that has changed in the last decade in recruiting, is not giving scholarships to instate kids, like TO did in my opinion. IIRC, the highest recruited kids TO recruited, were the Peters brothers.

I wish I could give you more than +1. It's as if people forget that we have very rarely been able to get the best recruits in the country, for the entirerty of Nebraska football. Or expect a first time headcoach to be able to pull off a 5* recruiting class just a month or two into starting a significant rebuilding of a team.

It's not recruiting that is the problem... It's that Bo Pelini doesn't know how to face a multiple offense. Ucla, Ohio State, Wisconsin 2.0. Period. He can't even defend an obvious jet sweep. Granted against Ucla and Wisconsin hardly showed their gameplan on film coming into the game but there was absolutely no in game adjustments until he put in Courtney Osborne in the game down 70 with 2:00 left in the game.

All of those teams have out recruited and performed us on a regular basis. TO pulled in great classes actually...

No he didn't...............this has been talked about to death on this board before you ever joined. Use the search function to find those threads.

Thank you.

Callahan was a great recruiter and got some great recruits, but didn't develop them at all! Bo had some of those recruits when he came here and developed them into what you seen from our 2009 defense. Good coaches develop talent and get more out of players than what's expected from them. Bo has shown he can do this at times, but for whatever reason we've leveled off now. I'd much rather have a team of 3 and 4 star recruits with a few 5's sprinkled in and run a clean program than a bunch of 4 and 5 star whiners that are out of control because of who they "think" they are. We may not win as many championships that way, but if we can win a few, remain competitive, and have double digit wins in the win column then I don't think we've got much to complain about.

• Fire 2