No Rumor, No one has spoken with Bo

HuskerThor

Oh so Bo himself didn't what about his agent? Bo puts out feelers every offseason. This one was no different. Unfortunately no one wanted him. That to me speaks volumes

The article is saying that (since youi didn't f'ing read it) no one contacted TO for permission to talk with Bo, that is all.

Then you make accusations like "Bo puts out feelers every offseason". You don't know this for fact. Why would you make this sh#t up?

• Fire 1

Oh so Bo himself didn't what about his agent? Bo puts out feelers every offseason. This one was no different. Unfortunately no one wanted him. That to me speaks volumes

The article is saying that (since youi didn't f'ing read it) no one contacted TO for permission to talk with Bo, that is all.

Then you make accusations like "Bo puts out feelers every offseason". You don't know this for fact. Why would you make this sh#t up?

I was gonna ask the same thing. Is Hedley in the know with a reliable source or just spewing sh#t. He claimed in another thread that there will in fact be a coaching change of some sort this offseason.

Did read the article...hence why I said Bo didn't talk to anyone. If they didn't talk to Bo then Bo didn't talk to them...thought that was pretty easy to see.

Also not making anything up. Bo and his agent put feelers out each offseason to see if they have interest in Bo. No I don't have a link obviously nor do I have proof other than what I was told from a large booster who is a family friend.

I'm going out on a limb here. This whole "putting out feelers" concept is probably something that every coach in the nation does, yes? If so, then what's the big damn deal?

A coach making top 15 money at a top 10 all time program doesn't need to be doing that. Unless Ferentz told him how to make extra coin by calling the schools bluff for raises.

Now I completely understand tOSU, that was his dream job and still is. However I think Urban showed tOSU he was a better pick than Bo this year.

Market forces drive these salaries, not societal priorities. How many college head coaches are there in the country? NFL stars? How many public school teachers are there? Taxes don't pay the salaries of even college coaches, the booster-supported athletic department does, and the football program is a big money-maker. Taxes pay no professional athlete salaries and the average family probably spends well more on child education (assuming a child in school) per year than they do on sports-related entertainment -- via both taxes and out-of-pocket money for school-related expenses.

...just...lol

If teachers had 90000 people come what their students take tests and they sold tickets to watch them do spelling bees and they were able to develop a merchandise line that sold, I would say yes. Pay them 3 million. Don't care how wrong anyone thinks it is, the facts are the facts.

• Fire 1

Rumors aside. With all the speculation (fans) about the possible (wishful?) coaching changes at NU it would be good to solidify some things now. Either announce who is going or staying so that our recruits can make a decision. IMO, the staff staying together (not my personal choice) is better for recruiting rumors continuing to fly about so and so leaving the program. Rumor control, IMO, is an area that Bo is sorely lacking when it comes to keeping fans informed. Do I think he "owes" that to us, no. He can do what he wants. Do I think it would go a long way to making folks see him in a more favorable light? Absolutely. Easier to support and cheer for a guy you feel you "know" and that wants our support.

I could see other schools saying, "well you know Coach X recruited you and you like him, but with all the changes coming, he might not even be there."

If teachers had 90000 people come what their students take tests and they sold tickets to watch them do spelling bees and they were able to develop a merchandise line that sold, I would say yes. Pay them 3 million. Don't care how wrong anyone thinks it is, the facts are the facts.

I am a teacher, and you are not wrong...

There are many examples of great football players from the Golden Age of football (maybe 20s and 30s) who were high draft picks, but did not pursue a professionial career because it was more profitable to do something else. Without the pay incentive, who is gonna put themselves through the hard work and danger that it takes to be a pro player?

The same thing works with being a medical doctor. How many people would kill themsleves in undergrad to make the grades, kill themselves in medical school, and wipe themselves out in residency to become a doctor if the pay wasn't great? Nobody would.

Relating back to coaching, without the pay incentive that comes with teams performing at a very high level, coaches would put their unique skillsets into something that would maximize their earning. As a society, we need to reward high-performing indiviuals in professions that we place a high priority on. How many of you are willing to watch bad football on Saturdays and Sundays? Think about it for a bit.

There are many examples of great football players from the Golden Age of football (maybe 20s and 30s) who were high draft picks, but did not pursue a professionial career because it was more profitable to do something else. Without the pay incentive, who is gonna put themselves through the hard work and danger that it takes to be a pro player?

The same thing works with being a medical doctor. How many people would kill themsleves in undergrad to make the grades, kill themselves in medical school, and wipe themselves out in residency to become a doctor if the pay wasn't great? Nobody would.

Relating back to coaching, without the pay incentive that comes with teams performing at a very high level, coaches would put their unique skillsets into something that would maximize their earning. As a society, we need to reward high-performing indiviuals in professions that we place a high priority on. How many of you are willing to watch bad football on Saturdays and Sundays? Think about it for a bit.

The analogy falls apart when you realize that doctors are needed by society. While I love sports, and recognize there is a lot of good that comes from sport, I also don't deceive myself into thinking that it is fundamentally about anything more than entertainment and dollar signs. These men work extremely hard at what they do, absolutely. But there would still be plenty of men that would be willing to do it because they love it, even if they weren't getting paid tens of millions of dollars. Nebraska fans should know this better than most with our walk-on program. Meanwhile, the average family in the world has to try on live on less than $2 per day.

Not to get on an ideological soap box, but I just can't see any way of reconciling the reality of our enormous excesses in sport and just in our culture in general when the stakes are so high and people have so very, very little.

Market forces drive these salaries, not societal priorities.

And it's wrong.

Yep. But then we get threads like this one:

http://www.huskerboa...-their-wallets/

I do realize that not many joined in and agreed with this. But I also remember when Bo was rumored to be going to Miami, a couple posters said we need to give him as much money as it takes to keep him here.

Before Bo was hired people thought we should go ahead and pay for Saban or Meyer to come here, or do what it takes to Peterson out of Boise.

I thought about baseball salaries not long ago and found an article talking about the market forces, and how paying extra for better players brings in more fans at a higher ticket price, to a point. It did talk about a couple instances where owners went on spending sprees and paid extra to win a championship, but that for the most part it was just business. It was a bit simplistic in that it ignored TV money which comes from advertising dollars which get passed onto consumers, but it made a certain amount of sense. As long as people keep going to games and watch them on TV, the salaries will stay up.

Likewise, for college football, the stadium sells out, even as ticket prices soar and mandatory donations are attached. You also have the big boosters in almost every program who are willing to ante up to buy out contracts to get new coaches in.