No Rumor, No one has spoken with Bo

HuskerThor

If teachers had 90000 people come what their students take tests and they sold tickets to watch them do spelling bees and they were able to develop a merchandise line that sold, I would say yes. Pay them 3 million. Don't care how wrong anyone thinks it is, the facts are the facts.

I am a teacher, and you are not wrong...

I agree with the fact that it is what it is. It's also the result of a free economic system. A person has the power to do what they wish. I was just alluding to the fact that as a society, our spending priorities are ass backwards. I understand why it is, and that it's not gonna change, but I disagree with is nonetheless.

All the complaints about the salaries are silly. You wouldn't complain if you were working your tails off and getting well compensated for it....but you'd probably get tired of hearing everyone else complain about it. You want to make more? Work harder. If the players and coaches didn't make big bucks they'd be getting ripped off as their employers are makine MUCH more than they are collectively. You take issue with what they get paid....stop paying 75 bucks for your tickets and 30 bucks for your parking (different for college i know).

These are very high stress jobs. The expectations are high. If the compensation wasn't high, these great coaches would be doing something else. Something worth the stress. Look at other professions that make big pay. They work hard for it and if they fail at it they lose their jobs.

• Fire 1

Rumors aside. With all the speculation (fans) about the possible (wishful?) coaching changes at NU it would be good to solidify some things now. Either announce who is going or staying so that our recruits can make a decision. IMO, the staff staying together (not my personal choice) is better for recruiting rumors continuing to fly about so and so leaving the program. Rumor control, IMO, is an area that Bo is sorely lacking when it comes to keeping fans informed. Do I think he "owes" that to us, no. He can do what he wants. Do I think it would go a long way to making folks see him in a more favorable light? Absolutely. Easier to support and cheer for a guy you feel you "know" and that wants our support.

I could see other schools saying, "well you know Coach X recruited you and you like him, but with all the changes coming, he might not even be there."

I think if Bo is planning on doing anything, he will probably make a few changes after NSD so he doesn't potentially lose any recruits out of the whole deal.

These coaches get a small portion of what they actually earn for each game, so in the University's eyes, they aren't forking out much for the game. They make more than 5.5 million in ticket revenue every game, plus TV contracts and the venues. I am not sure how much they get paid for away games, but I know for a fact its in the millions somewhere. Next year, Nebraska will get over 6.5 million for home games, bringing in about 52 million dollars in home games alone. I think they can afford what they pay easily. Many of your professional columnists and former coaches will tell you how stressful a HC position in FBS/FCS is. Your working 18hr day shifts. Getting up at 4am and getting home long past dark. Thats why these coaches work their tail off to become an NFL coach, where its much easier. No recruiting, just team management.

I have said it since all these rumors have started, Bo isn't going anywhere. Not because no one wants him, but because he isn't close to being finished here.

if the football program bring in 50M a year in revenue(concessions, retail, TV contacts, B1G network revenue, you will pay for a good coach....the success of that team drives the 50M. hes the CEO of a VERY profitable organization....

We make more than that right now on just home games alone in ticket sales. That's not counting away games, tv contracts, misc contracts and all the other sales the school gets from venues and the Nebraska Athletic Store. With the expansion, it will be even more.

All the complaints about the salaries are silly. You wouldn't complain if you were working your tails off and getting well compensated for it....but you'd probably get tired of hearing everyone else complain about it. You want to make more? Work harder. If the players and coaches didn't make big bucks they'd be getting ripped off as their employers are makine MUCH more than they are collectively. You take issue with what they get paid....stop paying 75 bucks for your tickets and 30 bucks for your parking (different for college i know).

These are very high stress jobs. The expectations are high. If the compensation wasn't high, these great coaches would be doing something else. Something worth the stress. Look at other professions that make big pay. They work hard for it and if they fail at it they lose their jobs.

They're playing a game, not performing brain surgery, putting out fires, protecting the streets, or educating our youth. It's not complaining. It's pointing out an obvious flaw in priorities, that's all. And yes, I know it's human nature of competition just like anything else, where the price of winning is raised by one and then everyone follows, and the cycle continues. I compete in motorsports. I know this.

My goodness Hedley, I've read many of your posts the last few weeks and you seem to be one very angry, bitter person. It seems that if someone pee'd in your cornflakes that would be one of the better points in your day. Get some counseling or go find a team to support where you can be happy. Of course, people who cut themselves don't realize what they are doing is wrong, so I doubt you'll change either.

• Fire 6

What do you mean he puts out "feelers"? Does he send a personalized memo to all AD's stating how much he hates here at Nebraska, how all these fans won't leave him alone? Does he call different AD's each week asking if there coach is on the "hot seat"?

No I don't have a link obviously nor do I have proof other than what I was told from a large booster who is a family friend.

If you had any idea how many people on this board either are "large boosters" or know a "large booster" personally, you'd stop with all this insider knowledge you think you're spreading around.

• Fire 2

They're playing a game, not performing brain surgery, putting out fires, protecting the streets, or educating our youth. It's not complaining. It's pointing out an obvious flaw in priorities, that's all. And yes, I know it's human nature of competition just like anything else, where the price of winning is raised by one and then everyone follows, and the cycle continues. I compete in motorsports. I know this.

And yet, you are supporting it, so your reasoning goes right out the window. That's like someone complaining about secondhand smoke, when they are a smoker themself.

Coaches get paid astronomical prices (over teachers) because:

1. They work year-round

2. They work a ton more hours

3. They don't have retirement pensions

4. They have ridiculous travel requirements

5. It's a high-stress job

6. It's a very UNSTABLE job

7. It's a very small fraction of the money they bring into the university, and basically free marketing

8. Very few people can do it

Reasons 6-8 are the most important. Teachers can get a job, and as long as they don't misbehave, basically settle in for the long haul with very little stress. In fact, because of the teachers' union, even very poor teachers still have almost no worry of ever being fired. Skip to reason #8. Everyone and their mother can go through college to become a teacher. It's some of the easiest college courses I've ever seen. But to become a sucessful coach? There's high turnover for a reason. I'm not blasting teachers, and know there are some really great teachers out there that probably deserve more, but like irafreak said, this whole argument is nuts in the first place.

Lurker here.

been watching what people are saying to Hedley. People might be wise to realize that he's trying to pass on some legit info.

Regarding Knevel, he was ready to pull the trigger to be N, but got cold feet after the game last Saturday and then the Bama offer came in. No idea if he would have visited Bama if the Huskers had shown a bit better but it was a perfect storm, so to speak.

regarding Bo's job search. I can vouche 100% for Neil Cornish, Bo's agent, putting his name out for multiple jobs the past two years. I heard this directly from people associated with the football program so it's no secret. To bash Hedley for saying this is unfair. I have no stake in this game other than that I hate it when someone with negative news gets hammered for reporting it and then stuff gets personal. Truth is, Bo asked his agent to investigate the Illinois and Mississippi jobs last year, as well as Tennessee, Arkansas, and Auburn this year. If people want to spin it, so be it, but Hedley is correct.

the thing is, many coaches have their agents do this (bob Stoops is a master) in order to improve their position vis a vis their AD and negotiate bonuses and raises. I'm sure bo thought he would win vs Wisconsin and parlay that win into something more lucrative (either in Lincoln or elsewhere) but it blew up due to the team's performance. What's troubling is how public this has been in terms of all the rumors. It hurts the team, it hurts recruiting and it hurts Bo. The only person who gained from this circumstance was Sean Eichorst who now knows that Bo has no negotiating position unless or until he wins something of significance.

Lurker here.

been watching what people are saying to Hedley. People might be wise to realize that he's trying to pass on some legit info.

Regarding Knevel, he was ready to pull the trigger to be N, but got cold feet after the game last Saturday and then the Bama offer came in. No idea if he would have visited Bama if the Huskers had shown a bit better but it was a perfect storm, so to speak.

regarding Bo's job search. I can vouche 100% for Neil Cornish, Bo's agent, putting his name out for multiple jobs the past two years. I heard this directly from people associated with the football program so it's no secret. To bash Hedley for saying this is unfair. I have no stake in this game other than that I hate it when someone with negative news gets hammered for reporting it and then stuff gets personal. Truth is, Bo asked his agent to investigate the Illinois and Mississippi jobs last year, as well as Tennessee, Arkansas, and Auburn this year. If people want to spin it, so be it, but Hedley is correct.

the thing is, many coaches have their agents do this (bob Stoops is a master) in order to improve their position vis a vis their AD and negotiate bonuses and raises. I'm sure bo thought he would win vs Wisconsin and parlay that win into something more lucrative (either in Lincoln or elsewhere) but it blew up due to the team's performance. What's troubling is how public this has been in terms of all the rumors. It hurts the team, it hurts recruiting and it hurts Bo. The only person who gained from this circumstance was Sean Eichorst who now knows that Bo has no negotiating position unless or until he wins something of significance.

Hedley is getting bashed because he's coming on to a board where over a dozen people with connections to the program post on a regular basis, acting as if the knowledge he's dispensing is incontrovertible. He deserves some grief for this. It's like walking into a party as a total stranger and trying to take over the conversation. It's not acceptable behavior and he's getting grief for it. Crying about it does no good.

Further, this whole "I know what Bo and his agent are doing because a 'large booster' is a close family friend" is a load of BS. Bo doesn't tell the boosters what he's doing with his agent. Nobody here, no matter how connected, sits in on Bo's conversations with his agent, so to pretend you have knowledge that this is "legit" beggars belief.

You act like a fool, you get treated like a fool. You should expect no less.

• Fire 1

If Hedley has some inside info on stuff that is great but when he post it in a manner like he hates everyone on the staff or football team then yeah people are going to say stuff.

I don't hate anyone on staff or the team. Do I think several or in over their heads? Oh heck yes I do. NU doesn't need to train a coaching staff. What other top 10 programs train most of their staff on the job? That's my problem with the staff.

The players I have no issue with. They are here because of the staff. If they are struggling etc I blame the staff. You may say well players will make mistakes. That is correct but making the same mistake for 12 games is no longer the players fault. That should be corrected and if it isn't there should be someone else to sub in.

We Don't have depth at many important positions so we can't sub in. Again who does that fall on? The coaching staff.