Pat Forde column

Let me play the devil's advocate here: What happens if we take another Wisky like thumping?

1. Does the Forde become a prophet and the admin fire Bo on the spot for coach to be named later?

2. Does the administration quietly warn Bo to "Right the ship next year and win something or you are toast" ?

3. Do Husker fans storm the AD office and hold a 'sit in' until they are satified that 'thumpings' will not be tolerated again??

4. Do recruits abandon NU in droves and Bo states "We didn't execute".

5. Nothing: We accept that this is now the new normal at NU - 9-10 wins a season with 2-3 good thumpings along the way just for the

the pure pleasure of it.

Whats the "old normal" to you? Please don't reference the 90's, because that is not the old normal once TO left. Here is breakdown of how its gone since our last 11/13 season (2001)

2002- 7/14

2003- 10/13

2004- 5/11

2005- 8/12

2006- 9/14

2007- 5/12

2008- 9/13

2009- 10/14

2010- 10/14

2011- 9/13

2012- 10/13*

This "new normal" is something I am more than happy to live with. If you can continue to win 9-10 games, your showing your good enough to get that 11th to 14th win.

In the last decade, before Bo, we were winning 58% of our games. NOW, we are winning 72% of them. If we beat Georgia on the 1st, we will have our best winning season, since 2001, with 11 wins, granted its not for a BCS game, but this is ABOVE the normal in my opinion. Quite being spoiled and look at the big picture and say hello to 2012. The 90's were gone a long time ago.

Let me play the devil's advocate here: What happens if we take another Wisky like thumping?

1. Does the Forde become a prophet and the admin fire Bo on the spot for coach to be named later?

2. Does the administration quietly warn Bo to "Right the ship next year and win something or you are toast" ?

3. Do Husker fans storm the AD office and hold a 'sit in' until they are satified that 'thumpings' will not be tolerated again??

5. Nothing: We accept that this is now the new normal at NU - 9-10 wins a season with 2-3 good thumpings along the way just for the

the pure pleasure of it.

Whats the "old normal" to you? Please don't reference the 90's, because that is not the old normal once TO left. Here is breakdown of how its gone since our last 11/13 season (2001)

2002- 7/14

2003- 10/13

2004- 5/11

2005- 8/12

2006- 9/14

2007- 5/12

2008- 9/13

2009- 10/14

2010- 10/14

2011- 9/13

2012- 10/13*

This "new normal" is something I am more than happy to live with. If you can continue to win 9-10 games, your showing your good enough to get that 11th to 14th win.

In the last decade, before Bo, we were winning 58% of our games. NOW, we are winning 72% of them. If we beat Georgia on the 1st, we will have our best winning season, since 2001, with 11 wins, granted its not for a BCS game, but this is ABOVE the normal in my opinion. Quite being spoiled and look at the big picture and say hello to 2012. The 90's were gone a long time ago.

I guess I pretty much agree with what you are saying Nick. By the way, what did Forde do to lose his ESPN gig, or did he actually get more money to go with fox?

the pure pleasure of it.

2002- 7/14

2003- 10/13

2004- 5/11

2005- 8/12

2006- 9/14

2007- 5/12

2008- 9/13

2009- 10/14

2010- 10/14

2011- 9/13

2012- 10/13*

Isn't that kind of a defeatest attitude - that we will never be a consistent premier football program again? Don't get me wrong, Bo is much better than BC and I agree 11 wins is much better than the alternative & 72% is much better than 58%. In my post I wasn't calling for firing Bo, I'd like to see Bo succeed by accomplishing what he said he would do - Win Championships. But I don't think NU should settle for being a top 25 team. We have the facilities, the academics, the fan support, and yes the tradition - including the 90s, to be a top 10 team consistanty and even a top 5. If N Dame, another traditional power with higher academic restraints, can turn it around, we should be able to do the same.

Nick, from the above quote:

"If you can continue to win 9-10 games, your showing your good enough to get that 11th to 14th win."

TG: So far the difference between the 9-10 win season and the 11-14 wins has been the 2-3 huge thumpings we have taken each year. So therefore, we have not shown to be good enought to win that many games as we get blown off the field. . We only show that we are good enough to win 9-10 games - which will not win any championships. There is a huge gap between 10 wins and the next level it appears - a glass ceiling we haven't been able to break through yet. Maybe next year. Our offense will be better due to experience and I hope with new blood on the D we will be better there as well.

Isn't that kind of a defeatest attitude - that we will never be a consistent premier football program again?

No, it's not a defeatist attitude - it's just an honest assessment that while we can be that good, it doesn't last forever.

If N Dame, another traditional power with higher academic restraints, can turn it around, we should be able to do the same.

They've had one good year. It's entirely too early to say what the state of their program will be consistently.

TG: So far the difference between the 9-10 win season and the 11-14 wins has been the 2-3 huge thumpings we have taken each year. So therefore, we have not shown to be good enought to win that many games as we get blown off the field.

This isn't accurate. What 2-3 huge thumpings did we take in 2009? What were the 2-3 we had in 2010? The last two years have had worse losses, but the Michigan and OSU games were competitive and within one score halfway through the third quarter before unraveling. I wouldn't exactly call that getting blown off the field. That leaves the last two seasons with 2 (not 3) "thumpings", and half of the thumpings being debatable.

• Fire 3

Isn't that kind of a defeatest attitude - that we will never be a consistent premier football program again?

No, it's not a defeatist attitude - it's just an honest assessment that while we can be that good, it doesn't last forever.

Ok - I appreciate honesty. I however, think we can be that good again. I want it to be wt Bo - I want him to succeed. Perhaps my expectations

are set too high - I've drank enough kool aid over the years to get them dashed by too many games we are not prepaired for in the national lime light

or too many games in which we get blown out - I never expected this year 5 of the Bo reign - esp not due to our D. This fall, I'll probably drink the kool aid

again as a true believer in NU football since 1970.

They say stress is the gab between one's expectations and reality - that is why many Husker fans are stressed!

If N Dame, another traditional power with higher academic restraints, can turn it around, we should be able to do the same.

They've had one good year. It's entirely too early to say what the state of their program will be consistently.

True - but they are in the national discussion again. That is what I want - is to be apart of that discussion at the end of the season

TG: So far the difference between the 9-10 win season and the 11-14 wins has been the 2-3 huge thumpings we have taken each year. So therefore, we have not shown to be good enought to win that many games as we get blown off the field.

This isn't accurate. What 2-3 huge thumpings did we take in 2009? What were the 2-3 we had in 2010? The last two years have had worse losses, but the Michigan and OSU games were competitive and within one score halfway through the third quarter before unraveling. I wouldn't exactly call that getting blown off the field. That leaves the last two seasons with 2 (not 3) "thumpings", and half of the thumpings being debatable.

But you see a trend - Bo's 1st year - we got thumped by OU which could have been expected. 2009 a semi thumping from TT. , 2010 - 4 very frustating games - 3 in which we were not prepaired for prime time and 1 very uninspired win over lowely South Dakota State - who looked better much of the game. Enter 2011 & 2012 - Mostly Bo's recruits and the thumps start in earnest. The trend should be the other way by year 5.

2009:

10/17 #Texas Tech Lincoln L 10-31 a semi thumping. 3 TDs

10/24 #Iowa State Lincoln L 7- 9 This isn't a thumping, unless you consider the opponent. Totall unprepaired to play - 8 turnovers, multiple penalties

2010: these aren't thumpings - just terrible meltdowns - not ready to play

09/25 S. Dakota St.-HC Lincoln W 17- 3 We won - but SDSU was more prepaired - ugly win against my old school (yes I'm a SDSU grad) that shouldn't have been close

10/16 #Texas Lincoln L 13-20 The game of the year - marked on the calendar and we lay an egg against a bad texas team

12/04 *Oklahoma Arlington L 20-23 Led by 17 - OU made adjustments, we fell apart in the 2nd half

12/30 ‡Washington San Diego L 7-19 We Beat them by 35 earlier in the season

But you see a trend - Bo's 1st year - we got thumped by OU which could have been expected. 2009 a semi thumping from TT. , 2010 - 4 very frustating games - 3 in which we were not prepaired for prime time and 1 very uninspired win over lowely South Dakota State - who looked better much of the game. Enter 2011 & 2012 - Mostly Bo's recruits and the thumps start in earnest. The trend should be the other way by year 5.

2009:

10/24 #Iowa State Lincoln L 7- 9 This isn't a thumping, unless you consider the opponent. Totall unprepaired to play - 8 turnovers, multiple penalties

09/25 S. Dakota St.-HC Lincoln W 17- 3 We won - but SDSU was more prepaired - ugly win against my old school (yes I'm a SDSU grad) that shouldn't have been close

10/16 #Texas Lincoln L 13-20 The game of the year - marked on the calendar and we lay an egg against a bad texas team

12/04 *Oklahoma Arlington L 20-23 Led by 17 - OU made adjustments, we fell apart in the 2nd half

I don't see any of them as a "thumping". Only one you could even count as a thumping, besides this year, is the TT game in 2009. You just seem to be a very unhappy fan and a part of the "Anti-Bo Committee". You can't win them all, especially when you have a program working from the bottom up. You act like he was given a healthy franchise. Honest question... did you expect a National Title or at least be in one by now?

Osborne got thumped to and he also got beat by teams that weren't ranked.

What were the 5 worst losses TO encountered? How often did we give up 63 in those thumpings TO took? We need to stop comparing Bo to TO it isn't fair to either of them.

Agreed and we need to stop saying Bo needs to go because TO was able to win a National Title and Bo hasn't yet.

Osborne got thumped to and he also got beat by teams that weren't ranked.

What were the 5 worst losses TO encountered? How often did we give up 63 in those thumpings TO took? We need to stop comparing Bo to TO it isn't fair to either of them.

Agreed and we need to stop saying Bo needs to go because TO was able to win a National Title and Bo hasn't yet.

that's the least of Bo's problems at this point in his career...

2009:

I don't see any of them as a "thumping". Only one you could even count as a thumping, besides this year, is the TT game in 2009. You just seem to be a very unhappy fan and a part of the "Anti-Bo Committee". You can't win them all, especially when you have a program working from the bottom up. You act like he was given a healthy franchise. Honest question... did you expect a National Title or at least be in one by now?

I'm not as unhappy as you may think - ask my wife. I am more frustrated that I see other programs turning things around and it feels like we have met the glass ceiling. My expectations were a conference championship, a top 10 finish, and no huge thumpings on national TV by year 5. An occassional thump may happen to any program - on any given night. But we had 3 this year if you count UCLA - which was much worse than the score when you look at the 600+ yards given up. Our offense kept that game close. Bo look lost on the sideline with no answers against Wisky. Maybe in year 6 in our coaching training program we'll reach some of those expectations.