Newton Shooting - 29 dead, 22 children

This is the most horrific thing I can ever remember. I've got tears rolling down my eyes with no real way to understand this not being a father, a teacher or connected to the situation. My heart is extremely burdened and broken for the people involved in this. Be praying for them. This is so sad. I have no words for it.

NEWTOWN, Conn. -- A lone gunman killed 26 people at an elementary school here, including 18 children, in a terrifying early Friday morning shooting spree.

The Associated Press and local media reported the shooter, an unidentified 20-year-old adult male with ties to the school, was also dead inside Sandy Hook Elementary School. A second person was in custody and undergoing questioning. Two handguns were recovered at the scene. Mayor Mark Boughton said several victims had been taken to local hospitals.

http://www.usatoday....cticut/1769367/

Please update if you find updates on the story. And keep politics out of this - it's no time or place for it.

I agree it is almost impossible to fathom.

While other mass shootings are also tragic, it is somewhat feasible to try and discern the twisted logic in striking back at ex-bosses, perceived enemies, imagined slights, etc............. but a building full of innocents is impossible to wrap your mind around. Prayers to all.

Is it selfish to be thankful to live where we do where things like this just dont happen?-not that it happens all the time everywhere else, but you know what I mean-I hope.

I dont even know if I know what I mean.

I would have thought that about Omaha until a few years ago . . . this stuff can happen anywhere.

Crazy people with ready access to firearms results in horrific tragedies. :(

Heartbreaking. Can't imagine the grief of all those parents.

And before Christmas no less. Parents already looking forward to spending Christmas with their kids, but they won't be coming home. It's truly horrific.

I know they said there was 4 firearms, but i only heard of 3 being described. 2 were handguns which he used in the school, both were pretty expensive and highly accurate. The 3rd weapon was a cheap knockoff of the AR-15, but was in the trunk. So they don't know if there was another target or if there was another plan he had. They said the two handguns were legally purchased, but don't know who owned them.

Either way, more details will surely come light over the next few days, for now, those poor parents and traumatized kids need our prayers and support.