Would You Support a Bowl Game in Memorial Stadium?

308_Husker

Support for Bowl Game in Lincoln  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I could see some die-hard fans having a problem with non-NU teams using the home locker room and tunnel walk area as most fans equate Memorial Stadium to a religious experience, hence the locker room/tunnel area being considered sacred space reserved for Nebraska players only.

No. But I would be more than happy to attend a National Championship semi-final at Memorial Stadium!!!!

THIS! someday maybe.... someday....

Sadly it will never happen unless we build a new stadium more impressive than Jerry's house.

I don't think so. When the playoff expands eventually it makes sense to have the first round games on campus.

Had to answer no. Hell I can't even make it to near as many Husker games as I would like to. No way I'm traveling nine hours to watch some 7-6 teams pretend they are in some meaningful bowl game. If I was in Lincoln or Omaha I would more than likely go depending who was playing. I do think it would be a great idea for Lincoln to host a bowl game if they could pull it off. There aren't many non-warm weather bowl sites for a reason me thinks, and that reason would be money.

No. But I would be more than happy to attend a National Championship semi-final at Memorial Stadium!!!!

THIS! someday maybe.... someday....

Sadly it will never happen unless we build a new stadium more impressive than Jerry's house.

We aren't talking about winning a bid to host a semifinal. We are talking about the playoffs being done like they SHOULD be done where the higher seed has home field advantage. You can't expect fans to travel to two different playoff games and have a good turnout. So yes, I would love someday for a NC semifinal game to be in Lincoln.

• Fire 1

I voted NO, and , my reasoning is this..... first, I love football, coach football, attend every game....in other words, I CAN'T GET ENOUGH FOOTBALL....but....

A bowl in Lincoln is a horrible idea !!! During the "bowl season", the weather is typically less than desired. (Last year was a fluke). Believe it or not, Boise actually has more to offer for tourists too. It would obviously be a lower teir bowl with a smaller school with fewer fans. If you look at the attendance at some of these other games, the stadium is only 1/2 to 3/4 full.

I can't think of many "fans" who would want to travel to the vacation hot spot called Lincoln in late December. Furthermore, bowls need sponsors and have to provide some form of "pay out" to the schools attending. I think that it would find itself losing $$$$ in a hurry.

Also, I could just imagine watching the game on ESPN 2, looking at a snowstorm or guys freezing and listening to the announcers talk about how the weather is poor.......which, in turn, would continue to make it more difficult to attract that athlete away from a warm weather state or school.

Great question..........Horrible idea ! (of course, that is only my opinion...which is worth absolutely nothing)

I voted NO, and , my reasoning is this..... first, I love football, coach football, attend every game....in other words, I CAN'T GET ENOUGH FOOTBALL....but....

A bowl in Lincoln is a horrible idea !!! During the "bowl season", the weather is typically less than desired. (Last year was a fluke). Believe it or not, Boise actually has more to offer for tourists too. It would obviously be a lower teir bowl with a smaller school with fewer fans. If you look at the attendance at some of these other games, the stadium is only 1/2 to 3/4 full.

I can't think of many "fans" who would want to travel to the vacation hot spot called Lincoln in late December. Furthermore, bowls need sponsors and have to provide some form of "pay out" to the schools attending. I think that it would find itself loosing $$$$ in a hurry.

Also, I could just imagine watching the game on ESPN 2, looking at a snowstorm or guys freezing and listening to the announcers talk about how the weather is poor.......which, in turn, would continue to make it more difficult to attract that athlete away from a warm weather state or school.

Great question..........Horrible idea ! (of course, that is only my opinion...which is worth absolutely nothing)

Agreed!

Not trying to start a "heated" disagreement, but a friendly debate..

I really don't see a bowl game in Lincoln as being a major boost to the local economy. It wouldn't (IMO) be anything like the CWS or Olympic Trials in Omaha.

I can't see the fan base of teams like Utah State or Central Michigan selling more than 10,000 seats each... that would mean an "out of town" fan base of 20,000.... Yes, they would need to stay in town for a few days, but more people than this travel to Lincoln to spend the night on any given home game. In fact, I would venture to guess more than that...and, because of the lack of "touristic" attractions in Lincoln, many would probably stay in Omaha (still local, yes).

When a smaller school comes to Lincoln, we pay somewhere between 600,000 to 1 million to the team. I am not sure what a bowl payout is, but would assume that it would be greater than paying 1 school in a non-conference game.

Point being, outside of probably an extra night for the bars-hotels-restaraunts (only from a guestimated 10k people), I can't see the amount of potential income to the city, making up for the amount the city or university would lose in payout, promotion expenses and event expenses... That, along with really promoting to potential recruits the fact that there isn't a lot to do in Lincoln, Nebraska (especially in the winter) would be more damaging to the University than what little, if any economical boost.

*** Now, just to point out.... I LOVE LINCOLN. Lived there for 5 years (while in school), go there every home game and live only an hour away. Actually hoping to move back to Lincoln soon. But, just pointing out the hazards of playing a "bowl game" in Memorial Stadium.