Todd Peat No Longer with Team

QMany

Sean Callahan @Sean_Callahan

Bo Pelini confirmed to me on Friday that DT Todd Peat is no longer with the program and has been released from his scholarship. #huskers

Sean Callahan @Sean_Callahan

Injuries and several other things held Peat back from being the player most expected him to be. I'll be curious where he ends up.

Just curious, but was this a mutual release or did Pellini cut him and pull his scholarship. I'm asking because if it was based on injuries he could stay in school on a medical scholarship and that won't count against the numbers.

Most likely mutual release. Pelini is very loyal and doesn't pull scholarships. We had a senior (Antonio Bell) quit earlier this year and Pelini let him keep his scholarship to finish out his education.

Maybe you should read Facebook. Peat left because Pelini is a jerk and treats his players like sh#t :lol:

mind if you post what he said? im not friends with him

mind if you post what he said? im not friends with him

Corn Nation made a post about Peat leaving and I was getting a good laugh at the comments over lunch.

It was just random people commenting on a post made by Corn Nation, not anyone in particular, let alone Peat.

Well I guess you people who say this is not big deal know better than the coaches do. For a Husker website, we sure have a lot of "insiders" here.

I never once heard of a program that succeeded when they couldn't get DT's to play for them while at the same time had DT's leaving the team. Please show me where that formula has been successful. This is a big deal, we need big physical guys at the position and we need all we can get. Bo Pelini preaches that competition is a good thing. He also runs a system that probably places more importance on the DT position than most systems. Let's face it though, DT is a huge position no matter where you are.

Hell, even the defensive line coach was recently quoted as "we need bodies". By golly, here's the article link

http://sports.omaha....s-bodies-at-dt/

This guy was here one year. He would have brought something to the position. Also, your not going to convince me he was pure hype coming out of high school. The guy had skills, he was offered multiple Division 1 scholarships for a reason, we wanted him to play here for a reason. Simply trying to now pass it off as no big deal when during his recruiting most of you were praying for the kid to come here, well it's just f'ing' dumb.

Lot of players leaving this year.

Anyone know how many scholarships we have on the team as of right now?

Sports Nightly said something about 26-27 available towards the end of November. This is why I had a huge hunch Peat was one of the kids who was leaving. Not too big of a deal. One more scholarship that a walk on can achieve if they can compete at the higher level.

Or one more scholoarship that can be used on a incoming defensive lineman recruit.... Like Kaz said, we need bodies....

"Bodies" are not the answer. Bodies to get bodies are wasted schollies. And right now the way our recruiting class is looking we are going to be taking reaches as it is. Which inevitably means more guys either being dead weight, or leaving in the future.

What are we missing. We are losing DT's, do not seem to be able to recruit Jucos to this program. Had one of the best to ever play the college game, one at LSU that said Bo taught him everything. Why can't we get these kids. Their 8-10 deep in the SEC it seems.

Seriously would like an answer, not a slap at anyone. What is the problem, how can it be solved? We seem able to get the skill position kids, but not the big uglies. Do we need to hit the SEC trail harder or hit Wisconsin for their big old plow boys.

Something is not right, the SEC can not be taking every single one.

here come the "we didnt need him anyway" people

Did/do we really? Us possibly moving to a 3-4 defense could be a bigger reason he left. This rumor of the 3-4 comes even closer to being true, because that is why JUCO Gregory Davis committed with us. We have enough DTs/DEs for a 3-4. Almost too much actually. Valentine, Randle, Rome, Ankrah, Curry, McMullen, Moss and Williams. Did we really need Peat? Someone who didn't even give anyone any hope during practice that he would be good? All we have is his high school tapes, because he has been a sitting duck since then. Its not his fault, and I wish him the best and hope he has at least one year of his collegiate career to play. He was just a sitting duck on a scholarship that someone else could have. I said a couple months back that Peat Jr was possibly leaving the team.

I like your optimism but i think it maybe a little more difficult than that, i'm not sure if any of those guys have ever played in a 3-4 defense, plus besides gregory i dont know who would play OLB and please dont say Brown the dude is 210 pounds he'd need to beef up

Michael Rose?

maybe, i dont think the team will shift to a 3-4 as its base defense maybe just a special package to get speed on the field with guys like gregory