Todd Peat No Longer with Team

QMany

Well I guess you people who say this is not big deal know better than the coaches do. For a Husker website, we sure have a lot of "insiders" here.

I never once heard of a program that succeeded when they couldn't get DT's to play for them while at the same time had DT's leaving the team. Please show me where that formula has been successful. This is a big deal, we need big physical guys at the position and we need all we can get. Bo Pelini preaches that competition is a good thing. He also runs a system that probably places more importance on the DT position than most systems. Let's face it though, DT is a huge position no matter where you are.

Hell, even the defensive line coach was recently quoted as "we need bodies". By golly, here's the article link

http://sports.omaha....s-bodies-at-dt/

This guy was here one year. He would have brought something to the position. Also, your not going to convince me he was pure hype coming out of high school. The guy had skills, he was offered multiple Division 1 scholarships for a reason, we wanted him to play here for a reason. Simply trying to now pass it off as no big deal when during his recruiting most of you were praying for the kid to come here, well it's just f'ing' dumb.

This one didnt want to do the work in any aspect that is required of a Husker football player. If he was, he would be playing in front of a 260 pound DE playing DT, Chase Rome with what appears to be a broken hand, and a battered Thad Randle. Todd was given every opportunity to get on the field and he flat out couldn't do it because he didn't want to do the work. Only a deal because we are thin at DT. Nothing more.

Well I guess you people who say this is not big deal know better than the coaches do. For a Husker website, we sure have a lot of "insiders" here.

I never once heard of a program that succeeded when they couldn't get DT's to play for them while at the same time had DT's leaving the team. Please show me where that formula has been successful. This is a big deal, we need big physical guys at the position and we need all we can get. Bo Pelini preaches that competition is a good thing. He also runs a system that probably places more importance on the DT position than most systems. Let's face it though, DT is a huge position no matter where you are.

Hell, even the defensive line coach was recently quoted as "we need bodies". By golly, here's the article link

This guy was here one year. He would have brought something to the position. Also, your not going to convince me he was pure hype coming out of high school. The guy had skills, he was offered multiple Division 1 scholarships for a reason, we wanted him to play here for a reason. Simply trying to now pass it off as no big deal when during his recruiting most of you were praying for the kid to come here, well it's just f'ing' dumb.

actually the safety is probably the most important in Bo's defense. But we seem to like to make a bid deal out of the 2 gap being an issue because we have a lot of stupid fans that dont understand it. (not calling you stupid just Husker fans in general) They've been influenced by a couple of uneducated sports writers at the OWH who never played the sport and one who publicly admitted hes never really like NU athletics or their coaches as it being a bad system dispite the fact that many top teams use it (Georgia and Bama for example). That being said the DT is the hardest to recruit because there just aren't a lot of guys suited to play there. It isn't magnified in the 2 gap anymore than any other defense. If you're soft in the middle you're f'd. Our biggest problem was Carl missing on too many project guys he thought he could turn all pro. He lined them enough that we didn't recruit as many guys as we needed there. We don't have the guys for a "rainy day" like we had this year losing 6?? guys to injury projected in the two deep.

For the record Peat had worked his way back up to playing time more than once before he hurt himself and was held out(once by our coaches and once by his asking) A pretty good effort in my opinion for someone everyone keeps calling lazy. Lets not critize the kid for doing something no one here could do if they wanted. Him not being here is strictly a deal of him not liking Nebraska's microscope from both the fans and the coaches. He doesn't have the attitude needed to do more here for what ever reason. It's not wrong. People are built different. But if you feel like you don't fit on and/or off the field there are several choices a person can make and different ways to react. I doubt he tries to even play football. I don't think he's in love with it anymore.

I think recruiting at Neb is just a lot tougher than many of us believe, it should be. You would think the d/t's out there would be flocking to us, because of the playing time they could probably get, right away. Kaz has a good name as a d/l coach, and Bo is considered one of the best D coaches in the country. I read on here Ala, Fla, the rest of the sec are stocked 3 or 4 deep at those spots. Tells me its about location, to the fertile recruiting areas. Okl is good to great most years, because Texas is just about as big a recruiting hotbed for them as it is for Texas. Mike Stoops was considered a top D coach also, but couldn't do jack at Ariz, why, couldn't get any more blue chippers than Bo, and he had big inroads into Texas, from his Okl days, and then throw in whole west coast also.

We seem to be close to having that good to great D. Then we have those blow out loses. it shows we are not deep enough to plug in other guys for injured players. Bo and his staff have a tough up hill battle ahead, trying to stock pile players, let alone getting ones that should start at those spots of need. It hurts missing on Peat, he was being counted on big time. Wish him luck what ever he does.

GBR!!!

• Fire 1

Look at the top DTs from the last 5 years in ranking. See where they went to college. Might be surprised that several didn't go to the home school.

We can't use location as our excuse. If we have that mindset like our coaches we are bound to strike out. If you know you most likely aren't going to get a guy or have a chance at a guy you won't recruit the heck out of him even if you think you are. Maybe we need recruiters that CAN overcome location?

actually the safety is probably the most important in Bo's defense. But we seem to like to make a bid deal out of the 2 gap being an issue because we have a lot of stupid fans that dont understand it. (not calling you stupid just Husker fans in general) They've been influenced by a couple of uneducated sports writers at the OWH who never played the sport and one who publicly admitted hes never really like NU athletics or their coaches as it being a bad system dispite the fact that many top teams use it (Georgia and Bama for example). That being said the DT is the hardest to recruit because there just aren't a lot of guys suited to play there. It isn't magnified in the 2 gap anymore than any other defense. If you're soft in the middle you're f'd. Our biggest problem was Carl missing on too many project guys he thought he could turn all pro. He lined them enough that we didn't recruit as many guys as we needed there. We don't have the guys for a "rainy day" like we had this year losing 6?? guys to injury projected in the two deep.

For the record Peat had worked his way back up to playing time more than once before he hurt himself and was held out(once by our coaches and once by his asking) A pretty good effort in my opinion for someone everyone keeps calling lazy. Lets not critize the kid for doing something no one here could do if they wanted. Him not being here is strictly a deal of him not liking Nebraska's microscope from both the fans and the coaches. He doesn't have the attitude needed to do more here for what ever reason. It's not wrong. People are built different. But if you feel like you don't fit on and/or off the field there are several choices a person can make and different ways to react. I doubt he tries to even play football. I don't think he's in love with it anymore.

I don’t have any particular insight into his attitude, work habits or rationale for why it didn’t work out.

But it would seem odd if he choose not to pursue football somewhere/somehow.

For a lot of young 18-20 year olds, their persona is pretty much linked to their football prowess, especially if they have been a nationally recognized guy.

For his sake, if he does choose to walk away from the sport totally, I’d hope he’d find some other outlet to burn all that youthful energy.

I’d really hate to see him end up building license plates rather than interpreting them.

For whatever reason, I've kinda expected this kid to either ride out his time here as kind of a non-factor or transfer. I don't know why...part of it (it being my suspicion that Peat wouldn't be the force in the middle that we'd all hoped) was surely Andrus not coming, but injuries seemed to be a perpetual hindrance...

...and I never really got the sense that Todd wanted to put in the work it takes to be great. That's literally based on nothing, so I'm not making any accusations or informed assertions or anything. Just a weird, intangible sense I've had for awhile.

Which is why I've been keeping a closer eye on D-line recruiting this year than I usually do. Recruiting hype and flame outs/and stars emerging from obscure scout rankings have turned me off of the star watch. But Our D-line scares the bejesus out of me. And I'm not just talking about the bowl game.

Valentine really needs to turn into a special player, and be durable as hell. That's kinda what I'm thinking. (Curry too. Thought his name had been thrown around last summer with some favorable evaluations. We'll see, I guess.)