Tim Beck

Amac3309

Though he may be a great person we need to stop going to Ohio for coaches.

tumblr_m5tgdxToMP1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

Now, wait.... He has a point. Ohio has a horrible track record for producing coaching talent. While we're at it, lets stop recruiting in the South as well; All the real studs are located in the Dakotas.... :sarcasm

Haha, I know. I mean, it's not like the Stoops brothers, the Pelinis, Urban Meyer, and Tim Beck are all from Ohio.

Now, wait.... He has a point. Ohio has a horrible track record for producing coaching talent. While we're at it, lets stop recruiting in the South as well; All the real studs are located in the Dakotas.... :sarcasm

Haha, I know. I mean, it's not like the Stoops brothers, the Pelinis, Urban Meyer, and Tim Beck are all from Ohio.

Pinkel, Tressel, Mangino....

Hey guys. I have some things to say too!

1. What exactly are we arguing about here? Notice how the thread title says "Tim Beck".

2. Again, what exactly are we arguing about here? You guys sound so awful accusing others of idiocy for disagreeing with something that isn't easily defined. Hedley, you don't think Taylor is one of the greatest NU quarterbacks ever? Why not? Where is the cutoff point for greatness? The 5th greatest? The 10th? 20th? Being great isn't definable, nor is "one of the greatest". Opinions are well and good, but keep in mind that you're arguing and getting worked up over something arbitrary that is perceived very differently by different people. That being said...

The bold is factually incorrect. The definition of the word average is the mean, or middle, when compared with all other entries into a data pool. Since he ranks 37th in the nation out of 116 entries for quarterback rating, he is quite above average as a quarterback. Furthermore, while the rest of this argument can not be proven wrong statistically, arguments can still be made, and it still reeks of unnecessary bias. While he has crumbled, that is a different statement entirely than "he crumbles", which implies consistency and steadfastness in crumbling. Taylor was 4-2 this season in games when trailing by multiple scores, against the 9th, 19th, 20th, 31st and 32nd ranked defenses in terms of points allowed per game. Since our offense was 27th in points scored per game, statistically speaking, he has success more often than he falls apart when facing teams with equal or greater skill.

Next point please.

By what objective, impartial plane can we judge the competition a quarterback goes up against to become a starter? Zac Lee, Cody Green and Brion Carnes were all highly rated recruits, so I guess we can't use that basis or your argument would break. Zac and Cody both started games and got chances over Taylor his freshman year, so we can't use that basis either. I guess I can't find any fair way of judging their merits, it seems the difference between being a good player who earns his job against good competition and being "the best smelling turd in the potty" is entirely dependent on your bias of opinion as to whether the starter is any good or not.

I wonder what your thoughts on Sam Keller are.

1st Bolded Sentence - Seems to be a logical coaching move not to give your 2nd-best quarterback less playing time than your best. Cody got his shots, what did he do with them? Oh, right...he performed much worse than Taylor did.

2nd Bolded Sentence - Tim Beck has given Taylor very liberal control over our offense. He often makes his own audibles, and has been praised by coaches with his pre-snap decision-making and diagnosing of defenses. Carnes is worse at learning the playbook because, according to the coaches of the team, Taylor is damn good at doing so.

3rd Bolded Sentence - Cody Green was the 6th rated Dual-Threat quarterback, 19th in the state of Texas a quarterback recruit, and 173rd in the country as a quarterback recruit. Brion Carnes was the 7th rated Dual-Threat quarterback, and 44th in the state of Florida as a quarterback recruit. Jamal Turner was the 7th rated Dual-Threat quarterback, 19th in the state of Texas a quarterback recruit, and 140th in the nation as a quarterback recruit. Tommy Armstrong was the 9th rated Dual-Threat quarterback and 49th in the state of Texas as a quarterback recruit.

Once again, your point is demonstrably false. NU has recruited all quarterback prospects except for one (Taylor Martinez).

Next point.

Contrary to uninformed, young Husker fan perception, we didn't routinely beat every team we played by 50 points every year of Tom Osborne's career. I'm not going to bother proving it, because I'm already spending too much time on this post, but most all of the other quarterbacks we deem as great in school history played four quarters in the majority of their games, just like Taylor.

Furthermore, Taylor sat out two games in 2010, played in only 13 games last season, and 14 this season. That puts him at an average of 13 per year. This is less than a half a game higher of an average compared to Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch and Turner Gill.

Further still, Taylor has broken plenty more records than just career-long records. Here are a few:

241 rushing yards against Kansas State in 2010 - most by a Husker quarterback in one game

5 consecutive 100 yard rushing games in 2010 - most by a Husker quarterback in one season

Best passing seasons by Freshman, Sophomore and Junior classes in 2010, 2011 and 2012, respectively

Best total offense games by Freshman and Sophomore classes in 2010 and 2011, respectively

Best total offense seasons by Freshman, Sophomore and Junior classes in 2010, 2011 and 2012, respectively

2nd, 4th and 8th greatest total offense seasons in 2011 and 2012, respectively

It is possible to compare certain elements between two things while dismissing other elements. Here, let me show you. For example, I am a white male. Brett Farve is also a white male. Therefore, in this regard, Brett Favre and I are similar. Another example, Brett Favre sends penis pictures to women. It wouldn't surprise me if you did also. Therefore, you may or may not be similar to Brett Favre in this regard.

That being said, obviously nobody was comparing Taylor to Brett in terms of future professional success, but only in gunslinger mentality as quarterbacks.

Nice reach there, next point please.

-------------

vs Washington - 7/11, 1 touchdown, 0 interceptions

vs Kansas State - 5/7, 1 touchdown, 0 interceptions

vs Oklahoma State - 23/35, 5 touchdowns, 0 interceptions

vs Missouri - 6/9, 1 touchdown, 0 interceptions

vs Ohio State - 16/22, 2 touchdowns, 1 interception

vs Michigan State - 7/13, 2 touchdowns, 1 interception

vs Northwestern - 28/37, 2 touchdowns, 0 interceptions

vs Iowa - 12/22, 1 touchdown, 0 interceptions

vs Wisconsin - 17/29, 2 touchdowns, 0 interceptions

vs Northwestern - 27/39, 3 touchdowns, 0 interceptions

vs Michigan - 14/24, 1 touchdown, 1 interception

vs Penn State - 12/20, 1 touchdown, 0 interceptions

This list isn't exhaustive, only representative.

Next point please.

I love when people state their opinions as if they're facts, and then backtrack claiming they are wronged and only posting their opinion. You said our record will have 4 losses on it. You said we have more question marks on defense next season. Throughout the thread, without actually looking, you consistently state your thoughts, but you don't actually state that they are your thoughts, you just state that these things are or will be. You don't want people to jump to conclusions, don't give them a justified reason to.

This is why people can't stand you. You post what you think are just your opinions, but you post them in the spirit of knowing fully that they are truth.

Still waiting on a response Hedley.

I was referring to Ohio and Frank Solichs staff

1. What exactly are we arguing about here? Notice how the thread title says "Tim Beck".

2. Again, what exactly are we arguing about here? You guys sound so awful accusing others of idiocy for disagreeing with something that isn't easily defined. Hedley, you don't think Taylor is one of the greatest NU quarterbacks ever? Why not? Where is the cutoff point for greatness? The 5th greatest? The 10th? 20th? Being great isn't definable, nor is "one of the greatest". Opinions are well and good, but keep in mind that you're arguing and getting worked up over something arbitrary that is perceived very differently by different people. That being said...

The bold is factually incorrect. The definition of the word average is the mean, or middle, when compared with all other entries into a data pool. Since he ranks 37th in the nation out of 116 entries for quarterback rating, he is quite above average as a quarterback. Furthermore, while the rest of this argument can not be proven wrong statistically, arguments can still be made, and it still reeks of unnecessary bias. While he has crumbled, that is a different statement entirely than "he crumbles", which implies consistency and steadfastness in crumbling. Taylor was 4-2 this season in games when trailing by multiple scores, against the 9th, 19th, 20th, 31st and 32nd ranked defenses in terms of points allowed per game. Since our offense was 27th in points scored per game, statistically speaking, he has success more often than he falls apart when facing teams with equal or greater skill.

Next point please.

By what objective, impartial plane can we judge the competition a quarterback goes up against to become a starter? Zac Lee, Cody Green and Brion Carnes were all highly rated recruits, so I guess we can't use that basis or your argument would break. Zac and Cody both started games and got chances over Taylor his freshman year, so we can't use that basis either. I guess I can't find any fair way of judging their merits, it seems the difference between being a good player who earns his job against good competition and being "the best smelling turd in the potty" is entirely dependent on your bias of opinion as to whether the starter is any good or not.

1st Bolded Sentence - Seems to be a logical coaching move not to give your 2nd-best quarterback less playing time than your best. Cody got his shots, what did he do with them? Oh, right...he performed much worse than Taylor did.

2nd Bolded Sentence - Tim Beck has given Taylor very liberal control over our offense. He often makes his own audibles, and has been praised by coaches with his pre-snap decision-making and diagnosing of defenses. Carnes is worse at learning the playbook because, according to the coaches of the team, Taylor is damn good at doing so.

3rd Bolded Sentence - Cody Green was the 6th rated Dual-Threat quarterback, 19th in the state of Texas a quarterback recruit, and 173rd in the country as a quarterback recruit. Brion Carnes was the 7th rated Dual-Threat quarterback, and 44th in the state of Florida as a quarterback recruit. Jamal Turner was the 7th rated Dual-Threat quarterback, 19th in the state of Texas a quarterback recruit, and 140th in the nation as a quarterback recruit. Tommy Armstrong was the 9th rated Dual-Threat quarterback and 49th in the state of Texas as a quarterback recruit.

Once again, your point is demonstrably false. NU has recruited all quarterback prospects except for one (Taylor Martinez).

Next point.

Contrary to uninformed, young Husker fan perception, we didn't routinely beat every team we played by 50 points every year of Tom Osborne's career. I'm not going to bother proving it, because I'm already spending too much time on this post, but most all of the other quarterbacks we deem as great in school history played four quarters in the majority of their games, just like Taylor.

Furthermore, Taylor sat out two games in 2010, played in only 13 games last season, and 14 this season. That puts him at an average of 13 per year. This is less than a half a game higher of an average compared to Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch and Turner Gill.

Further still, Taylor has broken plenty more records than just career-long records. Here are a few:

241 rushing yards against Kansas State in 2010 - most by a Husker quarterback in one game

5 consecutive 100 yard rushing games in 2010 - most by a Husker quarterback in one season

Best passing seasons by Freshman, Sophomore and Junior classes in 2010, 2011 and 2012, respectively

Best total offense games by Freshman and Sophomore classes in 2010 and 2011, respectively

Best total offense seasons by Freshman, Sophomore and Junior classes in 2010, 2011 and 2012, respectively

It is possible to compare certain elements between two things while dismissing other elements. Here, let me show you. For example, I am a white male. Brett Farve is also a white male. Therefore, in this regard, Brett Favre and I are similar. Another example, Brett Favre sends penis pictures to women. It wouldn't surprise me if you did also. Therefore, you may or may not be similar to Brett Favre in this regard.

That being said, obviously nobody was comparing Taylor to Brett in terms of future professional success, but only in gunslinger mentality as quarterbacks.

-------------

Next point please.

I love when people state their opinions as if they're facts, and then backtrack claiming they are wronged and only posting their opinion. You said our record will have 4 losses on it. You said we have more question marks on defense next season. Throughout the thread, without actually looking, you consistently state your thoughts, but you don't actually state that they are your thoughts, you just state that these things are or will be. You don't want people to jump to conclusions, don't give them a justified reason to.

This is why people can't stand you. You post what you think are just your opinions, but you post them in the spirit of knowing fully that they are truth.

Cut it down to just what you would like me to answer. Too much to read and comment on. If I wanted to get a novel I would go Barnes &Noble

Next point please.

Next point.

-------------

Next point please.

Cut it down to just what you would like me to answer. Too much to read and comment on. If I wanted to get a novel I would go Barnes &Noble

No idea what you're talking about. Happy New Years.

You honestly believe that Martinez IS NOT one of the best QB's to ever play at Nebraska? I would like to hear you defend that.... Also, isn't longevity a quality in most great QB's.

Most college QBs don't have the luxury of starting more or less four full seasons because they wait around behind other guys. Hedley's point isn't about the 'longevity' being good or bad, but merely that Taylor is hitting the record books in part due to having a lot more games started than most of the guys whose career numbers he is surpassing. And with quarterbacks in particular, W/L is a key statistic in their legacy and right or wrong, Taylor's W/L % don't put him in that category at NU.

Taylor's phenomenally gifted though as an athlete. Not many will put up the kind of numbers he has done and we have worked out a pretty good changeup passing game with him, at least at times. It's just the good with the bad.

There is also another thread (in defense of NU's defense) discussing how rule changes have greatly benefited the offense the past 15 or 20 years. Does this help TM's stats? I am a big fan of TM, but IMO he turns the ball over too often to be considered great. I am really hoping that next year TM can lean how to eliminate turnovers and compete for the Heisman, but more important; lead NU to a BIG championship.

You honestly believe that Martinez IS NOT one of the best QB's to ever play at Nebraska? I would like to hear you defend that.... Also, isn't longevity a quality in most great QB's.

Most college QBs don't have the luxury of starting more or less four full seasons because they wait around behind other guys. Hedley's point isn't about the 'longevity' being good or bad, but merely that Taylor is hitting the record books in part due to having a lot more games started than most of the guys whose career numbers he is surpassing.

Can you hold that against a guy? I say no, especially when we consider Frazier, and Crouch to be our two best QB's ever, and they both started 4 years....

Except Crouch wasn't the starting qb in 98 and wasn't the starter until Texas.

And Frazier didn't start until mid season his freshman year, and missed most of his junior year because of blood clots. I also remember TO pulling Frazier often so Frankie London could develop. Frazier was pulled in the second quarter by plan a few games so London could get reps when the game was still in doubt.

Martinez crumbling under pressure? That is a silly concept. In fact, he has shown way more poise under pressure than Gill, Frazier, Frost, or Crouch ever did. They rarely, to ever at all, had to.

Wow, that's a hell of a statement. Not sure if I can agree with that.

I can't agree with the statement either. Frazier's 4th quarter against Miami in the 1995 (1994 season) Orange bowl was incredible. Down by 10, national championship game on the opponents home field. Frazier's final two drives against Florida State were also magnificent National title game, drove NU to the lead with less than 3 minutes to play. Then FSU scored, and with barely a minute left in the game Frazier drove NU into field goal range for the win, but the kicker missed.

Frost had to complete a last second pass against Missouri to get NU to overtime. Then he lead NU to a TD to keep NU in the National title hunt.

Gill lead NU from a 10 point deficit in the National title game and an extra point would have secured NU a tie and a national championship.

I am sure Crouch had some moments, but my memory is fading now.

Most college QBs don't have the luxury of starting more or less four full seasons because they wait around behind other guys. Hedley's point isn't about the 'longevity' being good or bad, but merely that Taylor is hitting the record books in part due to having a lot more games started than most of the guys whose career numbers he is surpassing.

Can you hold that against a guy? I say no, especially when we consider Frazier, and Crouch to be our two best QB's ever, and they both started 4 years....

You can when calling a QB one of the best because of the career numbers he is accumulating

Stats are a huge part of how you're measured as a player. There is a reason everyone is making a huge deal out of Peterson's chance to break the single-season rushing record this weekend. Championships, and stats.... That is how legacies are determined. In Martinez's case, with his stats, nobody will be even close after his senior season..... Not even close....

Stats alone are not sufficient.

Crouch's Heisman year (2001) 1115 yards rushing (5.5 per carry) 18 TDs, 1510 passing yards (8 yards per attempt), 7 TD, 10 INT

Jamal Lord 2002, 1412 yards rushing (5.6 per carry) 8 TDs, 1362 passing yards (6.7 yards per attempt), 12 TD, 12 INT

Name me 5 clear cut, better QB's that Nebraska has had?

Tagge

Humm

Ferragamo

Gill

S. Taylor

Frazier

Berringer

Frost

Crouch

Next group down

Lord

Ganz

Z. Taylor

Quinn

McCant

I would put Taylor in with the 2nd group

With all due respect, what did Berringer, Humm, and Ferragamo do that was so impressive as compared to guys like Jamall Lord, Joe Ganz, and Zach Taylor. Give Jamal Lord the o-line and backs and defense that Frazier and Crouch had, and he would be known as the best ever. Same goes for Taylor and Ganz.

Brook Berringer was a great human being. A tremendous leader and did his job nearly perfectly. But as a brutally honest assessment, he did nothing as a qb to deserve to be mentioned as an all-time great. One of our most remembers players? Yes. Straight up as a quarterback? I would put Lord ahead of him. Lord did a hell of a lot more with a hell of a lot less. Berringer managed games and kept mistakes down and the team leaned on Lawrence Phillips, the Oline and the blackshirts.

Berringer played well with a collapsed lung, and played a great game to beat Colorado in the last game of the season to earn a shot at the national title. NU and Colorado were ranked 2 & 3 in that game.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most here would say Tommie was the best QB in Nebraska history. The only real difference between Tommie and Martinez at this point... Championships. Otherwise how anyone can say Martinez is not one of the best (ONE OF THE BEST) is beyond me. Done.

Turnovers is the difference. That and Frazier had a much better defense.