Tim Beck

Amac3309

This is why people can't stand you. You post what you think are just your opinions, but you post them in the spirit of knowing fully that they are truth.

Wow man I'm fairly new here but that is kinda strong, who cares if someone believes what they say to the point it's truth to them, makes for good debate as long as it doesn't get personal, and bottom line most debates aren't gonna change most of our opinions, period

So anyone find out the others teams that wanted to offer beck?

Think it was UTEP.

This is why people can't stand you. You post what you think are just your opinions, but you post them in the spirit of knowing fully that they are truth.

Wow man I'm fairly new here but that is kinda strong, who cares if someone believes what they say to the point it's truth to them, makes for good debate as long as it doesn't get personal, and bottom line most debates aren't gonna change most of our opinions, period

So anyone find out the others teams that wanted to offer beck?

Think it was UTEP.

I saw them to be head coach, but I thought Pelini said a few teams called for him to be OC, can't imagine he would have taken a lateral move. Maybe it was just Pelini's way of getting his buddy a big raise...jokes

Yeah where Cody Green went i wouldn't call a big name university. Berringer also played with a partially collapsed lung for like 3 games and went out against Kansas St. Berringer could pass. he was more of pro-style qb than a running qb. Yes Berringer didn't wow because he was a backup. He didn't play that many games compared to Martinez so he wouldn't have had the chance. Those games were close but in the 4th quarter we pulled away. the closest one being OU 13-3. It's not like they were 3 point games at the end.

Berringer did not go out against Kansas St. His lung was injured against Wyoming. That game was the only game all year where teh offense basically had to bail out the defense, and Brook played very well. It was the next week against Oklahoma St, where the offense was horrendous in the first half, lead 9-3 at halftime, and were thankful to be ahead thanks again to the defense. Brook did not play in the second half of that game. Matt Turman "played" qb in a 32-3 win. It was the defense, oline, and Lawrence Phillips that won that game. Turman started the game the next week against Kansas St. again, a game won by the defense, oline, and Lawrence Phillips. Brook was then pretty much fully recovered by the week after against Missouri, and basically 100% by the following week against Colorado. Hence, Brook did not play 3 games with a collapsed lung. He played maybe a full game total in a 3 game stretch with that injury.

As far as pulling away in the 4th qtr, yes, that is also part of the point here. Berringer never did anything to wow the team to a big early lead. It was the defense that had to carry the team. Only against really bad Missouri and Kansas teams did Nebraska control the game start to finish.

I really cant believe I'm making this argument. I feel I'm being incredibly disrespectful to Brook and I apologize for it, but I'm just trying to make a point based on facts. I just dont see where Brook can be considered an all time great qb at Nebraska if you base it solely on his on-field play.

Yeah where Cody Green went i wouldn't call a big name university. Berringer also played with a partially collapsed lung for like 3 games and went out against Kansas St. Berringer could pass. he was more of pro-style qb than a running qb. Yes Berringer didn't wow because he was a backup. He didn't play that many games compared to Martinez so he wouldn't have had the chance. Those games were close but in the 4th quarter we pulled away. the closest one being OU 13-3. It's not like they were 3 point games at the end.

Berringer did not go out against Kansas St. His lung was injured against Wyoming. That game was the only game all year where teh offense basically had to bail out the defense, and Brook played very well. It was the next week against Oklahoma St, where the offense was horrendous in the first half, lead 9-3 at halftime, and were thankful to be ahead thanks again to the defense. Brook did not play in the second half of that game. Matt Turman "played" qb in a 32-3 win. It was the defense, oline, and Lawrence Phillips that won that game. Turman started the game the next week against Kansas St. again, a game won by the defense, oline, and Lawrence Phillips. Brook was then pretty much fully recovered by the week after against Missouri, and basically 100% by the following week against Colorado. Hence, Brook did not play 3 games with a collapsed lung. He played maybe a full game total in a 3 game stretch with that injury.

As far as pulling away in the 4th qtr, yes, that is also part of the point here. Berringer never did anything to wow the team to a big early lead. It was the defense that had to carry the team. Only against really bad Missouri and Kansas teams did Nebraska control the game start to finish.

I really cant believe I'm making this argument. I feel I'm being incredibly disrespectful to Brook and I apologize for it, but I'm just trying to make a point based on facts. I just dont see where Brook can be considered an all time great qb at Nebraska if you base it solely on his on-field play.

Yes you are being disrespectful to Brook. You are the one who said he wasn't that good. He was more pro-style qb. In the number of limited games he played he played in more meaningful games than Martinez has. Berringer was never the reason we lost you can't say the same about Martinez.

Yes you are being disrespectful to Brook. You are the one who said he wasn't that good. He was more pro-style qb. In the number of limited games he played he played in more meaningful games than Martinez has. Berringer was never the reason we lost you can't say the same about Martinez.

Ease up there 99. Even though I'm on the other side of the fence here. I see no disrespect intended.

I can see accountability's position.

Sadly, Brook wasn't with us long enough to leave a legacy. At least that is what I think he is saying. In not so many words.

Brook put up average passing numbers and adequate rushing numbers as a starter, while not royally screwing up and letting the rest of the cogs in the well-oiled machine take on the load. It's really that simple.

and he was a backup.

Fixed it.

He only started like 10 games or so and that is what you are going off of. 94 was the only season he got any real playing time.

Brook put up average passing numbers and adequate rushing numbers as a starter, while not royally screwing up and letting the rest of the cogs in the well-oiled machine take on the load. It's really that simple.

and he was a backup.

Fixed it.

He only started like 10 games or so and that is what you are going off of. 94 was the only season he got any real playing time.

He was also going to get drafted

and he was a backup.

Fixed it.

And? Are you trying to make a point? Because the only point I'm making is what I posted, and your replies haven't actually countered it.

I wouldn't put Berringer as one of our 10 best QBs. He's definitely one of the greatest and most memorable Huskers and probably had the greatest pro potential as a QB to ever come through Nebraska, but I still wouldn't put him up there.

The problem with Martinez is that he's the starting QB during a lot of change in the program. Looking back at the games he's started, we probably would be averaging 7 or 8 wins a year instead of the 9+ we have over the last 3 years. In 2010 Martinez was the most explosive player on the field until he rolled his ankle against Missouri, if he doesn't play we're probably looking at an offense that repeats 2009's performance. In 2011 there simply wasn't anyone else, and since there wasn't anyone else Martinez learned how to be a game manager. Learned how to not try to hit a home run every play and take what he could get from the defense. Now in 2012 we have a Martinez who's stepped up his passing and his production has jumped up accordingly. He's really loose with the football but it seems like we've gotten use to it and like work the game plan around it. It definitely needs to be addressed, but it also hasn't really held us back either.

I'm excited to see what Beck and Martinez have in store for next year.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most here would say Tommie was the best QB in Nebraska history. The only real difference between Tommie and Martinez at this point... Championships. Otherwise how anyone can say Martinez is not one of the best (ONE OF THE BEST) is beyond me. Done.

I don't think you are even a real Husker fan.

Define a real Husker fan?

He can't he's not one of them.

Very hard to compare the group. Most of our top QB's played with a very strong team around them. Some of the best Olines in college football. More confidence in them than Taylor most likely has in his. They had strong defenses that kept them from deep in their own end of the field, making more plays available. They had vastly better coaching than Taylor has received.

I do not think he is the best QB Nebraska has ever had, but a lot like Lord, he has done more with less than the others, a lot less.

He will end up with about all Nebraska QB records, and he will have earned them.

On Berringer, he was notified the day before his death that he would most likely go in the early second round. Pretty good QB it seems to me. Higher then razier, and Crouch, and Frost. I think Tagge went higher. Not sure on Humm.

Doubtful Taylor will be a drafted QB, but I would sure like to have seen him with some of the top Olines the others played with. Ball security may have been less of an issue with the normal revolving door on his left side not opening.

I can promise you one thing, there is not another person on this team that wants to win more, and not for himself, but for Nebraska. No one works harder at his trade, gives more effort, and respects his head coach more than Taylor. It is time we understand that he is the best we have and there is a reason for it. Hard dedicated work and it should be rewarded.

Is he number 2, 5, 9 or 23. I really do not care. He is the best we have and has tried very hard to be what we all want him to be.

Great Post.