Jim Mora next San Diego Chargers coach?

See ya Mora! You paying attention recruits!!!

How soon could San Diego make that announcement? I know the NFL has rules about taking a certain number of interviews or whatever.

Even allowing for protocols, just the rumors and smoke about this should make recruits pause and take notice...........

No reason to concern them at this time. Hirings will be done long before signing day. Of course if you are only selling the coach, it could be a problem I guess, but plenty of time to make recruiting steps to get them here.

Mora really has not proven himself as I see it. He has not recruited the kids, New Weasel did. I doubt I would want to turn an NFL franchise over to him, but I am sure stranger things have happened.

Hope if he does go, it reopens some recruiting doors though.

No reason to concern them at this time. Hirings will be done long before signing day. Of course if you are only selling the coach, it could be a problem I guess, but plenty of time to make recruiting steps to get them here.

Mora really has not proven himself as I see it. He has not recruited the kids, New Weasel did. I doubt I would want to turn an NFL franchise over to him, but I am sure stranger things have happened.

Hope if he does go, it reopens some recruiting doors though.

The thing about an NFL coach to me is all they have to worry about is scheming and preparation, unless youre a control freak like Bellichick. You dont have to worry about recruiting and PR such as college coaches do. This year to me was huge evidence that Mora is in fact a very good coach game wize. You are right that we are yet to know his capability at running a college football program on a multi year basis, but those intangibles are rather irrelevant in the NFL coaching environment.

But who is to say New Weasel would not have done the same. There was a lot of new talent, kids that were scheduled to play this year. I really do not think most serious business men would make an investment like that in him yet. Three four years, but after just one seems shakey to me. What I meant about the players was that he did not have much input into them so to speak, and I guess at the Pro level he might or might not.

As you know I am not much into beginner head coaches, lol.

It was pretty obviousl newweasel was not the answer, at least in my eyes. He had 4 years. His first 2 recruiting classes were spectacular if I remember. In fact, 2009 signing day, I remember espn putting him and UCLA on a pedestal becuase of the class they signed that year, saying how "back" they would be (them and Miami, haha). It was a total failure based on the supposed talent he brought in, which was veteran by his 4th year.

Mora Jr. would not be a first time NFL coach if I recall. Wasnt he coach at Atlanta?

I don't follow pro very closely. Seems his father was but not him, but sure could be wrong. Putting a lot of money in his hands and San Diego really wants to win. Biggest Bandwagon group in the world though.

Have a Happy New Year, and hope for good things tomorrow. Just no Wisconsin game is all I ask.

Say what you want about Mora Jr. as a coach, but I have a new level of respect for him because of this story from former Husker legend, Tyrone Hughes. These are the things that get left unsaid or overlooked in the media, but it says a lot about Mora Jr.'s character during a time of struggle that had nothing to do with football.

“Junior was with the Atlanta Falcons when Hurricane Katrina hit my hometown of New Orleans,” Hughes recalled. “I couldn’t get there for two weeks when they lost their home, but he (Mora) flew right into action. He bought six airline tickets for my mom, daughter, two aunts, a cousin and a godson, so they could fly from New Orleans to Atlanta. Then he rented a huge recreation vehicle for them to use for two months while the wreckage was being cleared so they could start rebuilding.

“Man, I didn’t ask Junior for help. He just did it, on his own, because he thought it was the right thing to do,” Hughes said. “Everyone I know understands why Junior’s a leader, a teacher and a giver. Nebraska’s my alma mater, and I will never root against the school I played for. But I’ll never root against Jim Mora Jr. either ... only his team and only when they play Nebraska.”