Predict the 2013 season

KJ.

I really think our home field is getting back to where it was. Since 2010, our only home losses came in games where we had multiple drops on assured tds, and a flukey loss to Northwestern. Overall we've played a heck of a lot better at home (that span also includes 2 victories over top 10 teams). Coupled with what happened last year in Pasadena, and I believe we'll win comfortably (2 scores). NW doesn't have the guys on defense, and Pelini has finally seemed to get a handle on running QBs (though it does put a lot of pressure on our CBs). We do have a big date with Michigan in Ann Arbor no matter what. The team has to get over the hump in big time road games.

493994184.jpg

I really think our home field is getting back to where it was. Since 2010, our only home losses came in games where we had multiple drops on assured tds, and a flukey loss to Northwestern. Overall we've played a heck of a lot better at home (that span also includes 2 victories over top 10 teams). Coupled with what happened last year in Pasadena, and I believe we'll win comfortably (2 scores). NW doesn't have the guys on defense, and Pelini has finally seemed to get a handle on running QBs (though it does put a lot of pressure on our CBs). We do have a big date with Michigan in Ann Arbor no matter what. The team has to get over the hump in big time road games.

493994184.jpg

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29482-1345581337-28.gif

Wyoming W

Southern Miss W

UCLA W (close)

SDSU W

BYE

Illinois W

@ Purdue W (close)

BYE

@ Minnesota W

Northwestern W (close)

@ Michigan L (two scores)

Michigan State--W

@ Penn State W

Iowa--W

All of the games in ( )s could go either way, but I think we see a similar regular season as last year. 1-2 losses. Our success will once again depend on how Michigan does and how we play after the Hawkeyes come to Lincoln.

I'd think it likely that NU loses to most any team that is top 10 or fringe top 10 caliber (say #11-15). So... you look on the schedule and only two teams in the regular season could potentially be that level --- UCLA and Michigan. Now... I am not convinced that either are a lock for that high a performance for next year. So... I'd think NU has a shot with either one of them... and should beat the others. If we assert a split w/ MU and UCLA that puts NU at one regular season loss. But that is too optimistic... they will dog a game they should win. That places them at 2 regular season losses.

If the losses are lined up correctly (in terms of who we lose to) and we make the CCG we get smoked by many touchdowns by OSU. That makes three losses going into a bowl game. We have been over-matched in bowl games recently and an SEC team will likely be our opponent. That makes 4 losses.

Nothing changes for the Skers' another 4 loss season with several consecutive losses at the end.

another thought...

If TMart gets injured--- especially if it is early in the season... then NU's losses will mount up.

NU is a blown knee away from a really difficult path. We have (had) and continue to have essentially all our offensive eggs in a single basket. Lets hope that --- like last year --- that basket holds up. If not (again, especially if he is out early) NU will really, really struggle.

another thought...

If TMart gets injured--- especially if it is early in the season... then NU's losses will mount up.

NU is a blown knee away from a really difficult path. We have (had) and continue to have essentially all our offensive eggs in a single basket. Lets hope that --- like last year --- that basket holds up. If not (again, especially if he is out early) NU will really, really struggle.

Lets hope the rainbow of fun in your last two posts is just a mirage!

another thought...

Maybe, maybe not. It would definitely make things very tough against UCLA and Michigan but I would think Armstrong would have enough ability - including the ability to hand/pitch the ball to AA/Cross/Newby/Taylor - to give us a pretty good chance in the others.

another thought...

You don't say? A team with a Heisman contender QB might have a hard time if their QB blows a knee? Profound stuff today.

another thought...

You don't say? A team with a Heisman contender QB might have a hard time if their QB blows a knee? Profound stuff today.

Perhaps not profound... but true.

NU has not developed a QB as a backup under Martinez to date. I surmise --- though I hope I am wrong --- that NU will again play Martinez essentially 100% of the time while he is healthy. Perhaps the approach of going with TMart 100% of the time was more a function of having no one worthy behind him before (I can't say). Perhaps... this season NU will give the backup (presumably Armstrong) reps to get acclimated while TMart is still healthy. If so, then if TMart goes down NU will be better off than if Armstrong had never seen a snap before. My point is that much hinges upon a single player (one who has had some history of injuries) and who plays a dangerous style of football that opens him to a great deal of contact. If he goes down (which, of course, I hope he does not), NU will slide down the rankings quite a bit.

another thought...

I love TMart --- and have posted many times how his grit and toughness and his heart are admirable. Glad he is a Husker. That said, while early on (and largely because he is a QB in his 4th year as a starter... and because he has been pretty effective) he is an early sort of "outside" shot contender for a Heisman. But as good as he is --- and he is really quite good --- he will not (as time progresses) be part of any serious Heisman talk.

another thought...

Lets hope the rainbow of fun in your last two posts is just a mirage!

I hope it is a mirage too!

493994184.jpg

After the game against OSU, name a running QB that torched us? Whatever they did in the bye week semi-worked. Colter did nothing, and while Robinson was getting yards, he wasn't running all over us. Now this year we have an overall more athletic defense better made for stopping those types of QBs.

493994184.jpg

After the game against OSU, name a running QB that torched us? Whatever they did in the bye week semi-worked. Colter did nothing, and while Robinson was getting yards, he wasn't running all over us. Now this year we have an overall more athletic defense better made for stopping those types of QBs.

While I agree with you 100%, because I'm on your side of this in wanting to be encouraged by the truth that you've pointed out ( I could not resist the pic), one cannot refute the fact that against those two guys, we really do not know for sure the full effect of any improvement from our defense in defending the running/mobile/scrambling qb. Colter was in no way used to the extent in the qb run game as he shouldve been, and Dennard was only able to play a quarter and half against us. While I look to drink my kool aid with my rosy goggles on, it's tough for me to say with a clear conscios that 28 points against NW with Colter playing qb 100% of the time (was barely enough as it was), and 23 points against a healthy Denard Robinson for 4 full quarters wouldve been enough to win those games.

I agree with your post. Adjustments were made (seemingly) and the D did do better. And, as whateveritis1224 says seems again true... we should have more speed at LD and at DE this year (than last)... and one would think that that should help. And lets not forget that every defense (to varying degrees) struggles with a running QB.