Predict the 2013 season

KJ.

We'll either be 10-2 or 11-1 after the regular season. People might not be able to see it right now, but this team has grown, and limited or gotten rid of some (not all) of the maddening Bo Pelini tendencies during the regular season.

Considering the schedule 10-2 should be considered a mediocre season.

What if the two losses are close, hard fought games against top 10 teams UCLA and Michigan?

Gotta win one of those games against a top 10 team. Say NU wins 10 games against unranked teams and loses 2 to the only ranked teams it faces (given the schedule, this is a very real possibility), I would consider that mediocre.

Whoa, who said every other team would be unranked? You can't just make blanket statements like "10-2 would be disappointing" without considering the context of how we might arrive at that point.

A 10-2 season where we lose as time expires and within one touchdown of two top 10 teams, and solid wins over potentially ranked teams in Northwestern, Michigan State and Penn State and beating every other team we should would be just fine of a regular season, a damn fine and good one if we still made the championship game as well. With that record with that performance, hypothetically speaking, we would be a top 10 team.

Whoa, who said every other team would be unranked? You can't just make blanket statements like "10-2 would be disappointing" without considering the context of how we might arrive at that point.

It was the same kind of "for example" statement as your statement that Michigan and UCLA would be in the top 10. I did consider the context of how we got to 10-2. Please read my post above to see said context. Thanks.

We'll either be 10-2 or 11-1 after the regular season. People might not be able to see it right now, but this team has grown, and limited or gotten rid of some (not all) of the maddening Bo Pelini tendencies during the regular season.

Considering the schedule 10-2 should be considered a mediocre season.

What if the two losses are close, hard fought games against top 10 teams UCLA and Michigan?

Gotta win one of those games against a top 10 team. Say NU wins 10 games against unranked teams and loses 2 to the only ranked teams it faces (given the schedule, this is a very real possibility), I would consider that mediocre.

A 10-2 season where we lose as time expires and within one touchdown of two top 10 teams, and solid wins over potentially ranked teams in Northwestern, Michigan State and Penn State and beating every other team we should would be just fine of a regular season, a damn fine and good one if we still made the championship game as well. With that record with that performance, hypothetically speaking, we would be a top 10 team.

Yes. Same as ones who say "If we dont win the the conference next year, the season is a failure", which all depends as well. I like to hope for intangible improvements. Take care of those, and wins and losses take care of themselves.

12-0 heading to the CCG with a loss to tOSU. BCS at-large bid, to Rose Bowl as tOSU is in NCG.

If it comes down to two 12-0 teams in the CCG I really don't want Kirk calling that game

Shouldnt have to worry about it. Fox still has the contract don't they?

Pretty sure they do, ya. I wouldn't want him either. Really would get sick of the Urban Meyer lovefest that ESPN would throw everywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW:

23. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Previous rank: 20

Cornhuskers coach Bo Pelini hopes there is help on the way for his reeling defense, which was embarrassed by Wisconsin, 70-31, in the Big Ten championship game and 45-31 by Georgia in the Capital One Bowl to end the 2012 season. Nebraska's defense loses eight starters, so it's no surprise that Pelini emphasized that side of the ball in recruiting. Pelini wants faster, more athletic defensive linemen, and he hopes junior college transfer Randy Gregory can become a disruptive pass-rushing end. There's also help coming for the linebacker corps, including Marcus Newby, the No. 19 outside linebacker. Quarterback Taylor Martinez and seven other offensive starters are coming back, but the Cornhuskers will have to replace tailback Rex Burkhead, who ran for 675 yards with five touchdowns in 2012 despite missing six games to injury.

ESPN's Mark Schlabath's 2013 Top 25

I think this years a tricky year to predict because there are so many unknowns around. There's no way our O isn't completely dominant next year in my opinion. I'm expecting Taylor to do what he did last year and put in serious off season work. I think that with Colin K. out in SF, there's new hope that maybe he could make it pro.

I think our O-line gets better. A lot of guys got experience this year, I think with the Juco guys coming in, we can shift Arod to guard where he belongs. Our WR's are going to be fantastic this year, very excited about the group. Additionally, despite what the guy on page one suggested, our RB's are going to be insane, even without Heard. If we can get him to stay all the better. I'm a little concerned about TE, but I'm sure we can get it figured out, just not a ton of experience.

D is where things get interesting. We have a lot of talent coming in that got red shirted and Bo's saying he's willing to play more true freshmen. Our LB core gets an immediate upgrade it's a position group that I'm pretty pumped about. Still worried about our line, but I think that we'll have bodies at DT with lots of upside, and that Gregory will be a good fill in for lost talent like Martin. Still concerned about the secondary, I think it's a very inconsistent group. They held their own most of the season but were exposed during the bowl game. Luckily this won't bite us in the rear until the bowl game. All that being said, we're going to have a lot of unknowns on the field next year on D, if they can limit the mental mistakes we're fine.

Prediction wise here's what I've got.

Wyoming--W

Southern Miss--W

UCLA--W - The added speed on our side and loss of Franklin for them will be enough for us to win this game. Look forward to sweeps not going for 80 yards each play this year.

SDSU--W

Illinois--W

@ Purdue--W

@ Minnesota--W

Northwestern--W - they have a lot of returning starters and our well coached, but we're at home and not happy about losing to them last time at home.

@ Michigan--W - I'm not sold on Gardner as a QB of the future. They're always going to be talented but I think again our influx of speed will help against the style of football they play.

Michigan State--W

@ Penn State--W

Iowa--W

OSU in champ game - L well coached, no obvious flaws and a qb that kills us. I don't see a win against OSU anytime soon with the talent they bring in.

Bowl - See us in the rose against Stanford where we lose a close one. Hate to see us keep losing bowls but I think it's a decent outlook