Predict the 2013 season

KJ.

9-4 with losses to UCLA, NW, @Mechicken and the bowl game. Mechicken wins the divison and loses to tOSU.

Seems spot on. Once again, Nu will end up ranked somewhere between #20-30, never really challenging seriously for anything... no MNC, no BCS, no B1G title or competing even for any of it... may compete, for a time, for a division birth in the B1G title game... but Michigan will get that. OSU is the CERTAIN champ of the B1G. Huskers, again, as they are more often than not... about 3rd or 4th in the conference.

Those predicting a better defense for next year, i assume, are doing so predicated upon the fact that a defense could hardly get worse... right? We lose 5 of our top 6 tacklers. We have a system our players cannot execute and a coaching staff that will not modify the system. Confidence, on the defensive side of the ball has to be horrible.

I do not expect the defense to be better... that said... there is no place to go but up. The defense was almost as bad as could be imagined... so they have to get better... right?

Even if they are, generally, going to improve, it will not be by much. Expect any good offense to put no less than 42 points up on us -- no less. NU cannot outgun a good team... expect another season where every good team beats us. There are not that many good teams we play... 3 to 4 at best... then we get killed in a bowl again.

Just like in science, if you change nothing... expect the same results. The mediocrity once feared has been the norm for NU football for 8-9 years... expect it to continue.

I just can't be thrilled for next season because of how I've watched this defense perform and now we are losing a ton of experience. I wish with this easy schedule we could make a strong one and bring back some pride, but I just don't see it. 9-4

Take a look at our 2013 schedule and tell me where the hell we lose 3 or 4 games next season. 1, I think the defense will be improved. B, I think the offense will be even better and more consistent next year. III, the strength of our schedule next year is dog crap. We have a tough game in Ann Arbor against Michigan, and 2 tough games at home against UCLA and Northwestern. The rest of the games shouldn't even be close if we play decent whatsoever.

How do you come up with the defense being better? It has gotten worse three years in a row. That is a trend, and we are trending down. You really have to assume that at best it will be stagnate, but odds are it gets a bit worse.

As to potential losses.

UCLA - they beat us this season. Yep, they got run by Baylor, and we would have also.

Minn - This team is more dangerous than some people want to think. Its on the road, and we have tended to have issues with road trips. Its one of those games where if the huskers turn the ball over several times, they could lose.

NW - Beat us last year, and damned near had us this year.

Mich - I expect to lose this one. And it could be bad again.

PSU - Depends on if O'brien is back, or if he leaves and a mass exodus of players follow. (They still have this offseason to transfer without penalty.

B1G title game vs OSU - In the event we somehow get this far, which I doubt, I think NW gets it. We get the doors blown off. Meyer stops scoring when he wants to.

You should take into consideration the cross-division schedules. Northwestern gets the OSU/Wisconsin and Michigan/MSU treatment in back-to-back weeks the same way we have the last two seasons. I'm not saying Nebraska will win the division, but I think the schedule keeps Northwestern out.

KJ,

I would argue that this really is not a difficult prediction to make as substantial precedent now exists.

First and foremost among this is the fact that you can pretty much bank on us losing any meaningful games; with that in mind, a quick look at our schedule reveals 7-5 with losses against:

- UCLA

- Northwestern

- Michigan

- Michigan State

- Penn State

If some twist of fate occurs and we end up in the Big 10 Championship game, then we will get slaughtered out by Ohio State and will be told by Pelini that we did not execute and by many on this board and others that Pelini "needs more time".

Rinse and Repeat for the next however many years Pelini is here.

Yes; I am jaded, 10+ years of being irrelevant coupled with blowout losses year in and year out can be rather toxic to a fan...

• Fire 1

KJ,

I would argue that this really is not a difficult prediction to make as substantial precedent now exists.

First and foremost among this is the fact that you can pretty much bank on us losing any meaningful games; with that in mind, a quick look at our schedule reveals 7-5 with losses against:

- UCLA

- Northwestern

- Michigan

- Michigan State

- Penn State

If some twist of fate occurs and we end up in the Big 10 Championship game, then we will get slaughtered out by Ohio State and will be told by Pelini that we did not execute and by many on this board and others that Pelini "needs more time".

Rinse and Repeat for the next however many years Pelini is here.

Yes; I am jaded, 10+ years of being irrelevant coupled with blowout losses year in and year out can be rather toxic to a fan...

Or maybe youre just toxic to a fanbase.

I honestly need some help from you guys on why we lose to michigan. After Denard went out they were ours, i expect the same this year reguardless where its played.

Because next year, Devin Gardner will be their qb. Personally, I feel like he should have been all along. He gives up a little in the running aspect, but in my mind, he's twice the passer Robinson ever was. Had Gardner been their backup all year, and been put in instead of that other thing they did against us this year, I dont know that we beat Michigan this year. I can see Michigan as a loss next year too. Them and UCLA are on my watch list as the possible losses.

I predict Scheelhaase will have a career day against an inexperience Pelini defense. Whether or not that will be enough to beat us, I don't know.

Well of course. However, don't make a difference......... inexperience or experience Bo/Pap defense. You're right, Scheelhaase will have a career day and Braxton, Gardner, Hansen, Hundley, etc, etc too.

6a00d83451b80969e200e55067bb678833-640wi.jpg

Is it possible that all of the doom & gloom that is being predicted here will happen....yes. Is equally possible that the kool-aid drinkers could be right....yes!

Notre Dame (2011) - 29th in total defense, averaging 20.9 points & 348.8 yds per game

Notre Dame (2012) - 1st in total defense, averaging 10.3 points & 288.1 yds per game

Nebraska (2012) - 56th in total defense, averaging 26.2 points & 343.1 yds per game.

Say Nebraska makes the same jump in points per game and yards per game Notre Dame did...

Mythical (2013) Nebraska - averaging 15.6 points & 282.4 yds per game would rate them in the top 10 in total defense.

Now is it possible that we get worse?

VT (2011) 8th in total defense, (2012) 40th...

Temple (2011) 3rd in total defense, (2012) 89th...YES!

I will grant and respect the opinions and beliefs of those who wish to be upset and angry after this season...but I prefer to act and think positively. I personally have faith in the coaches that they will turn this thing around, and if I am wrong I will be the first to eat crow.

6a00d83451b80969e200e55067bb678833-640wi.jpg

Is it possible that all of the doom & gloom that is being predicted here will happen....yes. Is equally possible that the kool-aid drinkers could be right....yes!

Notre Dame (2011) - 29th in total defense, averaging 20.9 points & 348.8 yds per game

Notre Dame (2012) - 1st in total defense, averaging 10.3 points & 288.1 yds per game

Nebraska (2012) - 56th in total defense, averaging 26.2 points & 343.1 yds per game.

Say Nebraska makes the same jump in points per game and yards per game Notre Dame did...

Mythical (2013) Nebraska - averaging 15.6 points & 282.4 yds per game would rate them in the top 10 in total defense.

Now is it possible that we get worse?

VT (2011) 8th in total defense, (2012) 40th...

Temple (2011) 3rd in total defense, (2012) 89th...YES!

I will grant and respect the opinions and beliefs of those who wish to be upset and angry after this season...but I prefer to act and think positively. I personally have faith in the coaches that they will turn this thing around, and if I am wrong I will be the first to eat crow.

I appreciate your positive out look and hope you are right

If any of these opponents actually develop a passing game, it'll be a long season...

Sure...Nebraska #1 in the nation in pass defense but have you seen where last years' Big 10 opponents ranked in passing offense...since you haven't, here you are

Wisconsin - 111

Ohio State - 101

Northwestern - 89

Michigan - 95

Michigan State - 86

Penn State - 35

Minnesota - 105

Iowa - 99

That's just embarrasing...

Rushing offenses were better but Nebraska got gashed by the rush and ended up ranking 97th in rush defense.

So the big question is which is going to improve first? Nebraska's defense or the opponent's passing game? If I was a betting man, I would have to go with a 7-5 record with a loss to UCLA and then a long, painful losing streak to NWestern, Michigan, Michigan State and finally Penn State before a face saving slaughter of Iowa

And before you all start ragging on me, I also predict that Iowa State will probably not win a conference game in 2013 but will still slaughter Iowa...which almost makes up for it.

If any of these opponents actually develop a passing game, it'll be a long season...

Sure...Nebraska #1 in the nation in pass defense but have you seen where last years' Big 10 opponents ranked in passing offense...since you haven't, here you are

Wisconsin - 111

Ohio State - 101

Northwestern - 89

Michigan - 95

Michigan State - 86

Penn State - 35

Minnesota - 105

Iowa - 99

That's just embarrasing...

Rushing offenses were better but Nebraska got gashed by the rush and ended up ranking 97th in rush defense.

So the big question is which is going to improve first? Nebraska's defense or the opponent's passing game? If I was a betting man, I would have to go with a 7-5 record with a loss to UCLA and then a long, painful losing streak to NWestern, Michigan, Michigan State and finally Penn State before a face saving slaughter of Iowa

And before you all start ragging on me, I also predict that Iowa State will probably not win a conference game in 2013 but will still slaughter Iowa...which almost makes up for it.

funny-gifs-getting-angry.gif