Predict the 2013 season

KJ.

It should be pretty clear to most people that the offense wont have too much of a problem next year. The big question mark is the defense, how will they move on from a year like this past season. I know the secondary got torched today, but I like J. Rose and Charles Jackson to start at corners and Harvey Jackson and Andrew Green Mo Siesay at the safeties. Mix in there Josh Mitchell, SBJ, Ciante Evans and a few other guys and we have our selves a pretty good secondary IMO. The linebacker postion is going to be a fun one to watch next year. Zaire should be back with Santos and, I'm going to guess, Michael Rose. We will have a lot of young guys in there, as I see Thomas Brown, Jared Afalava and even Josh Banderas getting playing time next year, but we will lack in experience we will make up in athletic ability (something our LBs just simply didn't have this year IMO). For the DL I like Ankrah and Randy Gregory at DE and Chase Rome and Kevin Williams at DT. Who knows, we might even land a JUCO DT in Ben Bradley or Toby Johnson and our DL could be the strength of our defense.

I think we will see a big step up from Papuchis and the defense in his second year as DC. My guess is that we go 10-1 in the regular season with a close wins over UCLA and Northwestern/Michigan and the loss will come from either Northwestern or Michigan. We will play in the B1G 10 Championship game against tOSU and lose a thiller. We get an invite to the Fiesta Bowl against Texas and we pull out a double-digit victory.

Okay, maybe I got a little carried away there with the predictions, but I really do see us going 11-2 with a BCS bowl win.

It should be pretty clear to most people that the offense wont have too much of a problem next year. The big question mark is the defense, how will they move on from a year like this past season. I know the secondary got torched today, but I like J. Rose and Charles Jackson to start at corners and Harvey Jackson and Andrew Green Mo Siesay at the safeties. Mix in there Josh Mitchell, SBJ, Ciante Evans and a few other guys and we have our selves a pretty good secondary IMO. The linebacker postion is going to be a fun one to watch next year. Zaire should be back with Santos and, I'm going to guess, Michael Rose. We will have a lot of young guys in there, as I see Thomas Brown, Jared Afalava and even Josh Banderas getting playing time next year, but we will lack in experience we will make up in athletic ability (something our LBs just simply didn't have this year IMO). For the DL I like Ankrah and Randy Gregory at DE and Chase Rome and Kevin Williams at DT. Who knows, we might even land a JUCO DT in Ben Bradley or Toby Johnson and our DL could be the strength of our defense.

I think we will see a big step up from Papuchis and the defense in his second year as DC. My guess is that we go 10-1 in the regular season with a close wins over UCLA and Northwestern/Michigan and the loss will come from either Northwestern or Michigan. We will play in the B1G 10 Championship game against tOSU and lose a thiller. We get an invite to the Fiesta Bowl against Texas and we pull out a double-digit victory.

Okay, maybe I got a little carried away there with the predictions, but I really do see us going 11-2 with a BCS bowl win.

dont you think kevin williams is a bit small? i think he's only like 270 also was he hurt this year i didnt see him much

For the realists out there that realize we will not have a running game and defensive coordinators will adjust for Martinez' shortcomings. And don't forget for a D that will take suckage to another level...

Also, no Arkansas State and Idaho State buttercups.

Wyoming--W

Southern Miss--W

UCLA--L (sorry guys...UCLA will only get better > NU)

SDSU--W

Illinois--W

@ Purdue--W/L (Purdue at home...it's like Jekyll and Hyde with Purdue)

@ Minnesota--L (sorry...Kill will outcoach Pelini)

Northwestern--L (revenge game)

@ Michigan--L

Michigan State--L (revenge game, pt. 2)

@ Penn State--L

Iowa--W

6-6

Heart of Dallas Bowl ;)

dont you think kevin williams is a bit small? i think he's only like 270 also was he hurt this year i didnt see him much

Curry, Thad Randle, and Valentine probably have the better size, but unless Randle gets healthy and can stay healthy, I like Kevin there.

For the realists out there that realize we will not have a running game and defensive coordinators will adjust for Martinez' shortcomings. And don't forget for a D that will take suckage to another level...

Wyoming--W

Southern Miss--W

SDSU--W

Illinois--W

@ Michigan--L

@ Penn State--L

Iowa--W

6-6

Heart of Dallas Bowl ;)

This should be an insta-ban!!! LOL

No running game? Ameer, Heard (very good chance he could be a starter or share just as many carries as Ameer) with a dose of Cross. Offensive Line with lose J. Jackson and Choi. Only huge impact IMO, is Jackson. I believe Corey Whitaker would be taking spot of Choi (upgrad IMO), and Pensick will be starting Center next year. Not a drop at all. Rex's words "There won't be a drop off at RB when I graduate". With Brown, I believe that. I also think Rodriguez could lose his position, but only time will tell.

Defensively, we can only get better. We may lack "experience", but we will bigger in size and have even more athleticism on the field, with more play makers and speed. With a better front and speedier LB's, our secondary won't have to be accountable for the run as much and we can protect the backfield like we are use seeing. Only position I am worried about, is Safety. Harvey Jackson or DJ Singleton (doubtful to start coming in as a true freshman) are going to have to play big and be smart. I have heard we have been having Jonathan Rose in this position as well. Not sure if its true, but we did recruit him as a DB/S.

Don't fool pessimism for realism.

Wyoming--W

Southern Miss--W

SDSU--W

Illinois--W

@ Michigan--L

@ Penn State--L

Iowa--W

6-6

Heart of Dallas Bowl ;)

Out of all the stupid posts today, this is by far the most stupid

Why? Are other teams not improving? Gimme a break. I have been around the Big 10 since my undergrad and grad school days - I can assure you that NU gets taken to the shed next year.

I'll bet you $1,000 that we finish next year better than 6-6. Put your money where your mouth is!!

Wyoming--W

Southern Miss--W

SDSU--W

Illinois--W

@ Michigan--L

@ Penn State--L

Iowa--W

6-6

Heart of Dallas Bowl ;)

If this were to happen, Bo will be toast! It could have happened this year- we got lucky in a couple of games. Now some would say that 'experience' creates luck but in our case - a missed field goal by NW, a interception TD called back by MSU, and the PSU fumble at the goal line were lucky occurances out of our control.

The Dark Side of me says the following:

I predict we lose to UCLA (we are too young on D that early in the season to pull it off), Michigan ( I see their QB giving us fits - he seems to have gained some confidence filling in for Robinson), NW - again our D will be the reason for the loss and OSU if we make it to the CCG. We've yet to prove that we can win the big game in the national spot light. Our offense has the ability to make us undefeated if we lower the turnovers. Our D will be young (perhaps more athletic) but untested. I see us loosing 3+ games per year until we do the following on a consitant basis:

1. reduce turnovers - many turnovers aren't so bad if you have a great D - we had a lot of turnovers in our Option years but we had a great D that could 'erase' those errors

2. Develop speed and experience in the D (1990-1992 all over again - this is when we realized we need speed on D. The championship run of 1994-97 was the result)

3. Have dominate DT play that can stabalize the line & free up DE and LB to rush the passer

4. Recruit the talent & develop it. It seems Bo developed players that BC recruited but we've yet to see dominant defensive recruits on the field. Hopefully the redshirts will be that talent next year.

5. Coaching staff showing they can outcoach and make adjustments on the big stage

The Optimistic side of me says this:

1. We lose one regular season game to one of the 4 above.

2. The young D shows that talent and speed make up for lack of experience

3. TM learns how not to fumble wt a coach this summer

4. Bo gets the monkey off his back and he wins the CCG

5. We get into the NCG