A View from a Dawg

McDawg

Let my try to keep this as simple as I can...so...in no particular order, this is what I saw from the Huskers:

Decent run defense, even if we did not try to run a great deal. The second level of NU's D just did not have enough speed. But the d lin was impressive.

Rex Burkhead is real! That young man is a baller.

Martinez is sharp. Mature. And fast for a QB. He carries himself like a leader on the field. Does not get rattled. Impressive.

Nebraska did not play very good pass defense in the secondary. I would guess partly this was an anomaly, and partly UGA having WR's that may have been a little faster/more athletic than was expected. BTW...UGA's 2,3,4 and 5 WR's were on the bench with injuries. So that speaks well for our depth there.

Nebraska can throw some punches, and could with most teams in the nation...for three quarters. With some depth in a few skill positions, you get into a NC conversation.

Big red has a well coached well disciplined offensive line. Everybody throws a temper tantrum now and again, but with some maturity that fades.

Pellini wasn't outcoached any until the fourth, but at that point I think he just ran out of athletes to do what he needed to do.

Gurley

All in all I think it was a good game. If Nebraska has their starting center ( he was missing IIRC) then the O line performs a little better, and Ameer and Burkhead run even better. But then again, if UGA has our starting DE and starting NT that may have been negated. All in all, I don't think Nebraska could have beaten UGA this year : UGA was missing several starting WR's Benett 345yds in 5 games Brown 469yds in 8 games and Mitchell 572yds in 12games..those three accounted for 12 TDs . Chris Conley (2 long TD's) was actually UGA's #5 or #6 WR......I don't know what the Huskers were missing besides their center. I was just pointing out the offensive production for UGA had some fall off, but still showed points. Still...Rex Burkhead was a joy to watch; I love the old school mentality of never quitting, and with his skill, that is the purity of the game.

that's all I got.

• Fire 2

Our DL overacheived yesterday big time. Missing our best DT. Had a 260 pound DE playing tackle there. Overall, the scheme was there to win the game and I feel up until the fumble we were in a very good position to win the game. We just weren't good enough to overcome that mistake in that crucial of a time.

I saw this as a sign of hope after the Wisconsin debacle. Those NU fans screaming for a different coach should be silenced on this board a bit and those who think we don't have the talent to compete with teams like Georgia also should be silenced as well.

I said in another thread that our top 50-60 were just as good as yours. But your bottom 20 are better than our bottom 20 and that shows with the all around depth you guys have. We don't have it quite yet at specific places.

Your analysis is a lot more positive than some of the Husker fans I'm seeing but we think about the same for both teams. The Bulldogs are arguably the 2nd best team in the nation and would probably beat Alabama 4 times if they played 10 games. Our team has depth issues and you saw it by the 4th quarter. We may have been the top ranked pass deffense in the nation but we also played in a conference that neither passes a lot nor has great passers or receivers. Your speed and size gave us fits all day. I thought our D line played well for a group that is held together with duct tape and baling wire. Murray impressed me. He hit his receivers wnen it counted and converted an impressive number of 3rd downs. Good luck this winter getting your guys healthy and see you next year on or about Jan 7? :-)

Great analysis. We may not be getting there as fast as some Husker fans would like but we are getting close. 2 years ago we wouldnt have scored 3 points on that defense. Bo retools the D with all our young talent and we will be a great team. They already got all the young guys involved in Bowl prep. The scout team D was practicing with the ones and doing alot of classroom in our month off, gettting them a jump start on the spring. We have 8 months to get these guys ready, that will determine if we go 12-0 or 10-2 next year.

Have a "friend" that plays D on the scout team. Always said he thought the scout team D was better than our first team (athleticly and physically) They would always give our offense fits, and there were 2 or 3 fights a week because they gave the offense so much trouble. Names like Micheal Rose, Jonathan Rose, Thomas Brown, Vincent Valentine, Aaron Curry, Avery Moss, Greg McMullen, Jared Afalava, Leroy Alexander....prepare to here their names alot the next 3 or 4 years. If we can get by UCLA the guys will have alot of experience before we get any kind of true test against Michigan. I see two undefeated teams squaring off in the Big 10 champ next year. If yesterday proved anything, the Big 10 was a little better than ESPN will ever give it credit for, even thou we came up a bit short in a few games.

• Fire 6

Georgia looked unfocused for 2 1/2 quarters. Then their talent won out.

If T-Mart could ever curtail the turnovers he could be truly exceptional (ditto for Abdullah).

Rex will be missed.

No pass rush absolutely KILLED NU yesterday. Pelini needs to go back to the drawing board to figure out ways to get pressure.

McDawg--good assessment, and thanks. As I told your fellow Bulldog Deeprig, please stay around here and keep posting--if anything, we could use a perspective and viewpoints that don't come from our own echo chamber.

And I've said this before as well--if Bo leaves for another job (as I don't see him going .500 or worse and getting fired), I'd like to see Nebraska go after Richt. I like the cut of that man's jib.

Georgia looked unfocused for 2 1/2 quarters. Then their talent won out.

If T-Mart could ever curtail the turnovers he could be truly exceptional (ditto for Abdullah).

Rex will be missed.

No pass rush absolutely KILLED NU yesterday. Pelini needs to go back to the drawing board to figure out ways to get pressure.

I think we were a little unfocused at times. Our run game never really developed ( not taking away from NU's run D) but we called some funky run plays and never really used Marshall on toss sweeps where he is better at. Gurley had an alright day though.

T-mart is a baller for sure...even if he throws kind of weird, and no doubt you will miss Burkhead. He kind of reminded me of Mike Alstott.

Your post was a good one, McDawg.

I'll focus in on this one comment. I think the second part of this sentence is more accurate than the first:

Pellini wasn't outcoached any until the fourth, but at that point I think he just ran out of athletes to do what he needed to do.

I don't think Bo was out-coached at any single point in the game. It was your athletes making exceptional plays that they clearly are capable of making on any given day that broke us in the 4th. To that, I give a tip of the hat.

In the first half, I'd say that Timmy B out-schemed their D-coord to an extent not really seen up to this point in the Pelini era. The scheme (and execution) of our offensive game plan in the first half was just lights out. It's finally everything that we knew it could be; practically unstoppable when the right players are in the right place. And for that reason, and with a Taylor Martinez that's assumedly going to go all out in the offseason again, next season is going to be a great one.

Had GA's defense not adjusted in the second half, we probably would have hung 50 on them. But they did adjust, and adjusted like a great team does. And we got outplayed in the 4th, which has typically been the other way around for us this season.

Great game to the dawgs.

T-mart is a baller for sure...even if he throws kind of weird, and no doubt you will miss Burkhead. He kind of reminded me of Mike Alstott.

Haha, I love this!

He's gotten more praise from an SEC fans than he does from his own fan base. I just wish we would have called a few designed QB runs, when he started chirppin with that #32 or whoever it was you could tell he just wanted to bust loose for a big one. Thought you guys were a class act minus that guy. He was kind of a punk, didn't have any reason to run his mouth either. He got beat plenty of times by Taylor and the only shot he gave was in his back when he was heading out of bounds.

Great analysis. We may not be getting there as fast as some Husker fans would like but we are getting close. 2 years ago we wouldnt have scored 3 points on that defense. Bo retools the D with all our young talent and we will be a great team. They already got all the young guys involved in Bowl prep. The scout team D was practicing with the ones and doing alot of classroom in our month off, gettting them a jump start on the spring. We have 8 months to get these guys ready, that will determine if we go 12-0 or 10-2 next year.

Have a "friend" that plays D on the scout team. Always said he thought the scout team D was better than our first team (athleticly and physically) They would always give our offense fits, and there were 2 or 3 fights a week because they gave the offense so much trouble. Names like Micheal Rose, Jonathan Rose, Thomas Brown, Vincent Valentine, Aaron Curry, Avery Moss, Greg McMullen, Jared Afalava, Leroy Alexander....prepare to here their names alot the next 3 or 4 years. If we can get by UCLA the guys will have alot of experience before we get any kind of true test against Michigan. I see two undefeated teams squaring off in the Big 10 champ next year. If yesterday proved anything, the Big 10 was a little better than ESPN will ever give it credit for, even thou we came up a bit short in a few games.

Two years ago we had alex henery...

Wow, where's all the Barney bashers hiding: " Big red has a well coached well disciplined offensive line."? I thought the OL played pretty well until ARod replaced Sirles after he got banged up on a play.

I'll give our OL some credit, but its kind of a sweet sour story to them. They CAN play well and win the battles in the trenches, unfortunately, they don't do it consistently week to week, its a roller coaster ride with our offensive line and that is where the anger comes from.