Great article...sadly!

bdubb75

I'm getting pretty close to banning Dirk Chatelain article discussion around here. All we're doing is giving the guy free advertising.

In that case, it'd really only be fair to ban discussion of any opinion article.

(For the record, I'm assuming you're being facetious. Just making a point.)

Not being facetious, and I'm not interested in being "fair." The guy writes hatchet pieces on the Huskers. I have no patience for that, no matter how many accurate or intelligent articles he's written before or since.

If Chatelain's articles are "hatchet pieces", I'm scared to ask what you'd call what Desmond Howard has to say about the Huskers. Chatelain's a Husker fan with an opinion about the team and the direction he wants it to move in, just like the rest of us. He just gets paid to talk about it.

The OWH is also the most militant local media outlet about their content. We've been notified on more than one occasion when people have quoted their articles that they want the article taken down. They have the right to protect their material and I'll defend that right, but at the same time we give them a TON of free advertising here. Tons. So if they're going to be pissy about the use of their articles here, I don't see why we can't do the same. No free ads. Period.

Now that I'd consider reasonable grounds for banning discussion on Chatelain's articles, or any other OWH articles. Why would they come after Huskerboard for giving their articles more publicity, more traffic, and more advertising revenue? Seems like a stupid move to me.

I'm getting pretty close to banning Dirk Chatelain article discussion around here. All we're doing is giving the guy free advertising.

But to objectively step back from his content for just a second, I think the biggest problem is that we forget that journalism is trending more and more towards simply being the biggest trainwreck possible to make you turn your head and stare. It's there to sell ad space. Dirk is selling his.

That's what we need to remember - he's providing entertainment. Can it be hurtful, and even detrimental? Yes. But it is what it is, it's journalism; a field that's losing integrity almost literally daily.

Nobody is saying he can't provide his entertainment, or his (at times) trainwreck version of journalism. Let him write what he wants and let the Weird Harold publish it if they want. I hope he prospers and has a long career. I just don't see any reason to promote him or his articles here.

Assuming your job is to write about Husker Football, what else would you write at this juncture?

(Most of us write about Husker Football when it isn't our job -- often while at our real job -- but I guess that's another story)

Then let's do that here. We have access to all the stats, we have access to all the games, and we all know football well enough to comment intelligently on what happens out there on the field. We don't need to base our opinions off the writings of local journalists.

In that case, it'd really only be fair to ban discussion of any opinion article.

Not being facetious, and I'm not interested in being "fair." The guy writes hatchet pieces on the Huskers. I have no patience for that, no matter how many accurate or intelligent articles he's written before or since.

At which point you stop being a Moderator.

I have to stop being a Moderator because Dirk Chatelain writes crap? Not following your logic there.

If Chatelain's articles are "hatchet pieces", I'm scared to ask what you'd call what Desmond Howard has to say about the Huskers. Chatelain's a Husker fan with an opinion about the team and the direction he wants it to move in, just like the rest of us. He just gets paid to talk about it.

I have zero patience or interest in Desmond Howard. Desmond Howard hasn't said anything I care to hear or comment on in about 20 years. I don't know what he said and I don't care.

Dirk may be a Husker fan, but he's not just some message-board poster. He's selling the words he writes, and that's fine - but that doesn't mean we have to buy them, nor does it mean we have to assist him in selling them.

The OWH is also the most militant local media outlet about their content. We've been notified on more than one occasion when people have quoted their articles that they want the article taken down. They have the right to protect their material and I'll defend that right, but at the same time we give them a TON of free advertising here. Tons. So if they're going to be pissy about the use of their articles here, I don't see why we can't do the same. No free ads. Period.

Now that I'd consider reasonable grounds for banning discussion on Chatelain's articles, or any other OWH articles. Why would they come after Huskerboard for giving their articles more publicity, more traffic, and more advertising revenue? Seems like a stupid move to me.

Sadly, it would also ban articles by McKewon and Nyatawa, as well as the LJS writers, all of whom I like and respect, but that's the business model they chose and I can't control that.

Great points lets just drop football. Dumb article

I've seen some decent arguments that it was a dumb article. Yours isn't one of them.

If that's what you got out of the article, you need to work on reading comprehension.

So if I'm reading this right you're telling me to read more and post less?

Nobody is saying he can't provide his entertainment, or his (at times) trainwreck version of journalism. Let him write what he wants and let the Weird Harold publish it if they want. I hope he prospers and has a long career. I just don't see any reason to promote him or his articles here.

Yes, I missed that point in your first reply.

At which point you stop being a Moderator.

I have to stop being a Moderator because Dirk Chatelain writes crap? Not following your logic there.

When you decide what others here should and shouldn't read, based on your personal definition of "crap"and "hatchet." it is the very antithesis of being a moderator.

When you admit that you have no patience for opposing views, the Internet clearly isn't the place for you.

When you decide what others here should and shouldn't read, based on your personal definition of "crap"and "hatchet." it is the very antithesis of being a moderator.

When you admit that you have no patience for opposing views, the Internet clearly isn't the place for you.

I don't think you know what being a moderator is. I'm the bouncer at the bar door. That bar has the right to let you in or keep you out at their whim. They have the right to refuse to serve you if they don't like what you're saying or doing (or wearing, as the case may be). That bar isn't required to allow you in simply because you live and breath and have thoughts. Go express your thoughts at the next bar if you want, but there is nothing that says I have to let you do that here.

Being a moderator doesn't mean I have to let every conversation on every topic have its day. I don't, and a fair portion of what I do here is pruning the topics we don't want here. They either get moved, locked or removed entirely. Happens all the time.

The straw man of your "opposing views" comment is absurd. It has nothing to do with opposing views. Sam McKewon writes things that I disagree with all the time, but he does so in a professional manner, and I'm a huge fan of Sam's writing, agree or disagree.

I don't see anything wrong with the article, or talking about it here. If a HB member wants to discuss the article, and others want to join in, then there should be no problem with doing that, even if some disagree. (unless the companies themselves have issues with it, OWH/LJS)....

Do you think it should be only one way? As in, should the LJS/OWH be able to say we cannot quote/link to/discuss their content, but we can't put a stop to quoting/linking to/discussing their content, or should HuskerBoard have the right to keep those conversations off our boards?

Great points lets just drop football. Dumb article

I've seen some decent arguments that it was a dumb article. Yours isn't one of them.

If that's what you got out of the article, you need to work on reading comprehension.

So if I'm reading this right you're telling me to read more and post less?

Ok on a serious note I feel like we still have an edge. I don't live in the past but the past isn't forgotten. That can still be used as an edge. When a recruit or anyone really, walks through the north doors of south stadium past the weight room, locker room, out of the tunnel, into the academic center all the way to the training table you won't find anyone that doesn't say whoa. People will say "every school has these facilities nowaday" (they dont). With the exception of jays fans the entire state of nebraska plans their day around husker football which would both be an edge. We just need to win. I just got done visiting the facilities in Gainesville and am driving back to atlanta and I think as a program we still have an edge. I do agree as a football team on the actual field we need to get the blackshirts in order because that is an edge we can have in a state like nebraska. Disciplined, hard nose physical defense and no doubt we can get that back.

He made some great points I just felt like it was an unfair assessment of the program

I smell a big can of worms being opened

Yep, IMO knapp doesn't have any logical reason to ban any article unless it's from a site that doesn't allow or want thier articles posted in forums..aka like it sounds the OWH does it's buisness. He's missing the point of being a moderator and that is just to keep the discussions civil, not to hinder free speech. The "bouncer" example that he used is a perfect example of someone who has let the mod "power" go to his head.

So unless you are the owner of the site knapp, you are in the wrong here and I think that you are better than that.