Scott Frost

Frost hasn't done anything in particular, besides be a good recruiter for me to want him here. If he can get some play calling experience, and succeed, then I wouldn't mind him back. I just don't think we have room to keep teaching people from scratch.

I doubt Frost will be coming back to Nebraska though, not anytime soon at least. Like someone said in here, Oregon's OC will be likely to get the HC position, or Kelly will take him, but I don't see Oregon letting Frost go anytime soon. If they do, he will go somewhere, where they need a WR's coach. He doesn't have much experience outside of that, besides his collegiate QB position.

• Fire 1

If he WANTED to come back here, he would have, as is rumored, for a lateral position. Him not coming here for an equal position-whether it's true there were even talks or not-shows that he is obviously more concerned about advancing his career as opposed to returning home as a glory boy, and I dont have a problem with that.

I just have no idea personally how seroius of talks there were between him and the university. Seems like all speculation to me. It coulda been simple as..

Tom: Scott, would you have any interest in returning to Nebraska as an assistant coach?

Scott: No thanks. Just fine where I'm at, unless it's for a higher up position.

Tom: It would be a lateral move.

Scott: No thanks. I'll stay where I'm at.

Tom: Ok thanks for your time.

Or it coulda been more than that. I dont think anyone really knows for sure. But to me, if he's really that qualified, and he had any desire to be here whatsoever, he would be, for at least an equal position.

I would guess the Dr. Tom/Frost rift stems from an incident involving Lawrence Phillips and a woman.

Plus the 19-0 loss to ASU.....and no it's not the loss, it's some behind the scenes stuff that lead to it. Scott was lucky to stay on the team after that one.

Yep. Spot on.

What's the story there? If you don't want it on the board would someone please PM it to me?

Alright, lets hear the story.... No secrets in Huskerville!

I would guess the Dr. Tom/Frost rift stems from an incident involving Lawrence Phillips and a woman.

It actually predates that, back to when Scott's parents -- both successful Husker athletes -- seemed to enjoy that their son was going to Stanford instead of Nebraska, because the university wasn't giving them enough love.

Unless Scott Frost is some kind of defensive wizard I don't get why we need him. I'm pretty sure he isn't a guru on the D side.

Not that this makes him a guru, but he did play safety at Stanford as well as safety in the NFL. From a playing standpoint, he's pretty well rounded playing both safety in college as well as QB and safety in the NFL. I'm not really sure how he ever became a WR coach. I have no doubt he'll be a head coach someday, but I highly doubt it's ever here. What's the over/under on the amount of years Chip Kelly makes it in the NFL?

Unless Scott Frost is some kind of defensive wizard I don't get why we need him. I'm pretty sure he isn't a guru on the D side.

Not that this makes him a guru, but he did play safety at Stanford as well as safety in the NFL. From a playing standpoint, he's pretty well rounded playing both safety in college as well as QB and safety in the NFL. I'm not really sure how he ever became a WR coach. I have no doubt he'll be a head coach someday, but I highly doubt it's ever here. What's the over/under on the amount of years Chip Kelly makes it in the NFL?

I think that Kelly could be a great college coach. His offenses are trending, and they are starting to make their way into the NFL systems....

It actually predates that, back to when Scott's parents -- both successful Husker athletes -- seemed to enjoy that their son was going to Stanford instead of Nebraska, because the university wasn't giving them enough love.

There's still a lot of Nebraska fans butthurt over the fact that Frost chose Stanford over Nebraska. I have never really understood this. Walsh was highly thought of in the coaching ranks particularly the NFL. It wasn't as if TO had put a lot of QB's into the NFL. It would have been completely different had he been recruited to play safety at both, but he wasn't.

I think that Kelly could be a great college coach. His offenses are trending, and they are starting to make their way into the NFL systems....

Wherever he goes, he will need to hire a defensive guru to stay as a head coach in the NFL. I just hope the team is willing to fork out that money for a DC.

What date does ND play in the BCS Title game? The o/u for Kelly might be in days, not years. (If he stays I'll bet ND gives him a big fat raise--even coming off a blowout loss to Bama.)

As for Frost, he's on a fast track to coach. But not quite as fast as some of us on this board think. He's a position coach with a handful of year's experience. He'll most likely need at least a couple years as a coordinator before HC jobs are offered to him. At least from BCS conference schools.

he's also coached on the defensive side of the ball at northern iowa

What date does ND play in the BCS Title game? The o/u for Kelly might be in days, not years. (If he stays I'll bet ND gives him a big fat raise--even coming off a blowout loss to Bama.)

As for Frost, he's on a fast track to coach. But not quite as fast as some of us on this board think. He's a position coach with a handful of year's experience. He'll most likely need at least a couple years as a coordinator before HC jobs are offered to him. At least from BCS conference schools.

Why would Notre Dame give Chip Kelly a big fat raise when their current coach Brian Kelly got them into the NC game?

he's also coached on the defensive side of the ball at northern iowa

He was the linebackers coach then became the co-DC.