Bama: Best program ever?

I guess the thing that seals the deal for me is that 95 Fiesta Bowl. Now granted, Alabama handled ND last night, but they were expected to. I remember the build up to the 95 Fiesta Bowl, about us not standing a chance against Spurrier and the "Fun N'Gun" offense, that was going to absolutely tear us to shreds, and the greatness that was Danny Wuerffel...

I think Alabama would have beaten Ohio State, maybe handily.

But if this was pre-BCS and bowls were unable to match up #1 vs. #2, Alabama might have been "allowed" to play Oregon. Or Stanford. Or rematched against Texas A&M.

And I'm not so sure Bama wins those.

The '97 Huskers were a damn good team. Went undefeated and pummelled Peyton Manning, while Michigan struggled against Ryan Leaf. But Nebraska needed a miracle to beat an unranked Missouri team in the regular season, and that's when they lost their edge in the AP poll.

Maybe Bama had a better 20th century overall, and is in the midst of a great run, but over the past 50 years they slogged through a few deeper, longer troughs than Nebraska has.

That doesn't matter. If Ohio State hadn't been banned, it would have been Notre Dame-Ohio State. Alabama would have been playing Clemson. And it's very possible that in that scenario, Alabama would still be the best team in the country. But they would have been on the outside looking in.

Come to think of it, 2012 Alabama has more in common with 1999 Nebraska than it does with any of the national championship Nebraska teams. Stifling defense with a good enough offense, and both teams lost a game they probably shouldn't have lost. The only difference is that Alabama was lucky enough to have it happen in a year where one of two undefeated teams was banned from bowl play, while Nebraska was not so fortunate.

2011 Alabama has more in common with 2001 Nebraska than any of the 94-97 national championship teams. Didn't even win their own division, and yet they somehow stumble into the national championship game, which they didn't deserve. Imagine if 2001 Nebraska had to play 2011 LSU and helpless Jordan Jefferson for the national championship, instead of 2001 Miami, one of the best teams ever. Frank Solich might still be our head coach.

2009 Alabama is the only year they didn't have a mark on their record or require a tremendous stroke of luck to win a national championship. You could compare them to 1997 or 1994 Nebraska, but they weren't as dominant as '95, and they didn't play anyone as scary as that 1994 Miami team, with Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp.

Alabama beat 7 teams that finished in the Top 10 in their 3 championship years:

Virginia Tech (34-24)

Florida (32-13)

Texas (37-21)

Arkansas (38-14)

LSU (6-9) (21-0)

Georgia (32-28)

Notre Dame (42-14)

Combined score: (266-152) vs. all Top 10 opponents, including (24-29) loss to Texas A&M

Alabama beat 11 teams that finished ranked in the Top 25 during their 3 championship years:

Virginia Tech (34-24)

Ole Miss (22-3)

LSU (24-15)

Florida (32-13)

Texas (37-21)

Arkansas (38-14)

LSU (6-9) (21-0)

Michigan (41-14)

LSU (21-17)

Georgia (32-28)

Notre Dame (42-14)

Combined score: (374-201) vs. all Top 10 opponents, including (24-29) loss to Texas A&M

Nebraska beat 8 teams that finished in the Top 10 during their 3 championship seasons

Colorado (24-7)

Miami (24-17)

Kansas State (49-25)

Colorado (44-21)

Kansas (41-3)

Florida (62-24)

Kansas State (56-26)

Tennessee (42-17)

Combined score: (342-140)

Nebraska beat 12 teams that finished in the Top 25 during their 3 championship seasons

Kansas State (17-6)

Colorado (24-7)

Miami (24-17)

Kansas State (49-25)

Colorado (44-21)

Kansas (41-3)

Florida (62-24)

Washington (27-14)

Kansas State (56-26)

Missouri (45-38)

Texas A&M (54-15)

Tennessee (42-17)

Combined score: (485-213)

Seems obvious to me.

I like that you counted teams that FINISHED in the top 10. I love these guys who always want to say that this-or-that team beat x number of ranked opponents...but it really doesn't matter how many teams were ranked when two teams met...what is a real indicator of strenth of schedule is where the opponents ended up. Stanford beat USC this year when SC was #1...should people count that as a win over a top 10 or top 5 opponent? Well, maybe if you are trying to spin the discussion in Stanford's favor, but in the end, USC was not very good...it just took the rest of the season to figure that out.

It is obvious that Nebraska is the better team over the four (or five) year period in question. Undefeated seasons, top 10 opponents, and seriously, the bowl opponents were far superior. Miami (in their prime), Florida (who won the national title the next season), and Tennessee led by Payton Manning...compare to Texas with a second string QB, LSU, and this year's Notre Dame (not a great team, who was only there because their schedule was pretty weak). Clearly Nebraska wins this argument...particularly when you go 5 years and throw in the `93 season.

You know what's ridiculous? If you do a fantasy match up sim at WhatIfSports.com the 2012 Bama team dominates the 97 Skers every time! I closed it once I saw Alabama 63, Nebraska 3. Come on!

I did a simulation match up of ten games on a neutral field on the website of every non sec historical team I could find to pit against the 2012 Crimson Tide and so far the ONLY team that beat them 4 out of 6 tries was the 2001 Miami Hurricanes.

Too bad you can't choose the 1995 Cornhuskers :(

I've heard lots of talk about how impressive this Alabama program has been. And sure it is impressive, but frankly it should be expected. We're talking about a program that has all the advantages in college football. Programs like Nebraska don't get that. Nebraska has to earn everything. If a team like Nebraska could beat a team like Alabama for the National Championship now that would be impressive. Otherwise why would anyone expect Alabama not to win. They're Goliath, we're the guy everybody expects that's going to get the s*** kicked out of by Goliath.

When I think of states laden with talent, I think of Texas; Florida; and California. The state of Alabama has won the last four NC's. Sure, Bama has more advantages than Nebraska does. However, I don't for one second believe Bama has more advantages over a team like Texas. Plus, Texas plays in a weaker conference.

Someone on another board pointed out part of Bama's advantage is that they cut scholarships. In the years of 2010-2011 they cut 21 players that weren't working out by asking them to transfer or medical redshirt (one MRS kid transferred and played at a D2 the next year). Thats a lot of making up for kids you missed on that schools in the other confrences can't or won't do. No doubt Saben is a good coach. But he's got an advantage in numbers that tip the scale in his favor. Think what an NFL team could do with that many extra 1st and 2nd round draft picks.

That doesn't matter. If Ohio State hadn't been banned, it would have been Notre Dame-Ohio State. Alabama would have been playing Clemson. And it's very possible that in that scenario, Alabama would still be the best team in the country. But they would have been on the outside looking in.

Come to think of it, 2012 Alabama has more in common with 1999 Nebraska than it does with any of the national championship Nebraska teams. Stifling defense with a good enough offense, and both teams lost a game they probably shouldn't have lost. The only difference is that Alabama was lucky enough to have it happen in a year where one of two undefeated teams was banned from bowl play, while Nebraska was not so fortunate.

2011 Alabama has more in common with 2001 Nebraska than any of the 94-97 national championship teams. Didn't even win their own division, and yet they somehow stumble into the national championship game, which they didn't deserve. Imagine if 2001 Nebraska had to play 2011 LSU and helpless Jordan Jefferson for the national championship, instead of 2001 Miami, one of the best teams ever. Frank Solich might still be our head coach.

2009 Alabama is the only year they didn't have a mark on their record or require a tremendous stroke of luck to win a national championship. You could compare them to 1997 or 1994 Nebraska, but they weren't as dominant as '95, and they didn't play anyone as scary as that 1994 Miami team, with Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp.

Great post. Pretty much sums it up.

espn has 2.5 billion reasons why it licks the secs nuts all day every day. Of course all your gonna hear is how Bama is the best ever, Saban is the best ever bla bla bla.

We'll see. But I'm always obliged to mention that a couple years ago, ESPN polled its own college football experts on the greatest NCAA teams ever, and they ranked '95 Nebraska #1 and '71 Nebraska #3.

ESPN has alway given Nebraska the respect we deserve - maybe even the benefit of the doubt. But right now the SEC is on a roll, and they are top to bottom the best conference out there. That's just the way it is. When Nebraksa upsets South Carolina and Georgia in our bowl games, ESPN will be happy to report it. They love upsets.

But we didn't. Get over it.

espn has 2.5 billion reasons why it licks the secs nuts all day every day. Of course all your gonna hear is how Bama is the best ever, Saban is the best ever bla bla bla.

We'll see. But I'm always obliged to mention that a couple years ago, ESPN polled its own college football experts on the greatest NCAA teams ever, and they ranked '95 Nebraska #1 and '71 Nebraska #3.

ESPN has alway given Nebraska the respect we deserve - maybe even the benefit of the doubt. But right now the SEC is on a roll, and they are top to bottom the best conference out there. That's just the way it is. When Nebraksa upsets South Carolina and Georgia in our bowl games, ESPN will be happy to report it. They love upsets.

But we didn't. Get over it.

That was a fan vote, wasnt it? And if it wasnt, I think it was random "experts", not ESPN personell, which is why Herb-pee was such a whiner about it. The results went totally against his agenda.

Maybe not so much ESPN, but anyone who thinks Herbstreit does NOT have an agenda against Nebraska, this 5 minute clip should be more than enough to sway you opinion a full 180 degrees.

• Fire 1