SIGNED RB Mikale Wilbon

I know where you are coming from. But, Aug-Nov recruiting will become much easier and will almost take care of itself once we start winning and are consistently a top 10 team. For now we have to push to get the great recruits on the team late and worry more about coaching/teaching during the year so wins will come and recruiting will become easier.

Not that easy, especially today.

In decades past, a winning program could sell on name only. Nowadays, kids want to feel wanted. They want details of how they will be used, what the depth chart is like, how much contact are you giving them. It's selling, and it takes alot of time and effort. But more importantly, it's about relationships.

It's why a dogsh.. football school like Kentucky can go from nobody to a top 15 class in no time. A guy like Vince Marrow had connections all over Ohio. Marrow can sell, and he also isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, if you know what I mean.

Without Marrow, you can see how our recruiting in Ohio has been non-existent this year while Kentucky has 11 commits from the state. All of whom were recruited by Marrow.

You gotta work these kids, constantly.

In January, over numerous years now, everyone around here can see the success we have when we lock down on recruiting. Bo can sell, and he can close. He can do it damn well.

Just wish they'd resources available to this program to stay on these kids during the season. This staffs job would be incredibly easier if they did with a few more top flight kids at their disposal.

I know where you are coming from. But, Aug-Nov recruiting will become much easier and will almost take care of itself once we start winning and are consistently a top 10 team. For now we have to push to get the great recruits on the team late and worry more about coaching/teaching during the year so wins will come and recruiting will become easier.

Not that easy, especially today.

In decades past, a winning program could sell on name only. Nowadays, kids want to feel wanted. They want details of how they will be used, what the depth chart is like, how much contact are you giving them. It's selling, and it takes alot of time and effort. But more importantly, it's about relationships.

It's why a dogsh.. football school like Kentucky can go from nobody to a top 15 class in no time. A guy like Vince Marrow had connections all over Ohio. Marrow can sell, and he also isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, if you know what I mean.

Without Marrow, you can see how our recruiting in Ohio has been non-existent this year while Kentucky has 11 commits from the state. All of whom were recruited by Marrow.

You gotta work these kids, constantly.

In January, over numerous years now, everyone around here can see the success we have when we lock down on recruiting. Bo can sell, and he can close. He can do it damn well.

Just wish they'd resources available to this program to stay on these kids during the season. This staffs job would be incredibly easier if they did with a few more top flight kids at their disposal.

Agree mostly, but lower tier SEC teams are riding the better teams and MNCs they have gotten. Kids "want to play in the SEC" even if it means playing for a crappy school which baffles my mind. But hey, many times it comes down to the "money and the hoes."

Agree mostly, but lower tier SEC teams are riding the better teams and MNCs they have gotten. Kids "want to play in the SEC" even if it means playing for a crappy school which baffles my mind. But hey, many times it comes down to the "money and the hoes."

It's just a matter of even the lower tier SEC teams have bought into bringing in coaches who can recruit.

James Franklin is a BAMF on the trail. Look at the staff that Vandy let Derek Mason assemble. Hugh Freeze is a relentless recruiter, who also doesn't mind doing dirty work. And even Marrow did work here with Ohio recruits, which was why he took McWilson with him, and why he nearly took Courtney Love with him.

Little known fact - Marrow had DeShone Kizer locked up for us. Kizer was set to be the 1st public commit in the '14 class to get the ball rolling after our Junior Day. Marrow left, and Kizer went elsewhere.

We can do it here, as well. We did it with Callahan. The fan base can despise BC, but that dude recruited his tail off. Consistently you heard recruits telling people that Nebraska was the school who was recruiting them the hardest. Now, we rarely hear that coming from recruits. In season visits were routinely getting set up during the summer, and they closed on kids while on campus.

Callahan, if nothing else, proved we can get highly rated kids here consistently.

And Bo proves every year that when he puts the time in, he can close these top flight kids as well.

But all of this is going wayyyy off the subject of Wilbon.

/hijack

:)

• Fire 5

It's just a matter of even the lower tier SEC teams have bought into bringing in coaches who can recruit.

James Franklin is a BAMF on the trail. Look at the staff that Vandy let Derek Mason assemble. Hugh Freeze is a relentless recruiter, who also doesn't mind doing dirty work. And even Marrow did work here with Ohio recruits, which was why he took McWilson with him, and why he nearly took Courtney Love with him.

Little known fact - Marrow had DeShone Kizer locked up for us. Kizer was set to be the 1st public commit in the '14 class to get the ball rolling after our Junior Day. Marrow left, and Kizer went elsewhere.

We can do it here, as well. We did it with Callahan. The fan base can despise BC, but that dude recruited his tail off. Consistently you heard recruits telling people that Nebraska was the school who was recruiting them the hardest. Now, we rarely hear that coming from recruits. In season visits were routinely getting set up during the summer, and they closed on kids while on campus.

Callahan, if nothing else, proved we can get highly rated kids here consistently.

And Bo proves every year that when he puts the time in, he can close these top flight kids as well.

But all of this is going wayyyy off the subject of Wilbon.

/hijack

:)

Great post.

Callahan did not consistently recruit better than Bo. He had the one highly ranked class that had a ton of kids and a ton of jucos and a ton of busts. He also had a star recruiter with highly questionable methods that luckily didn't get us in trouble.

I am strongly in favor of giving this staff more resources for recruiting though, starting with more, and better paid recruiting staffers as well as better access to private airplanes.

Callahan did not consistently recruit better than Bo. He had the one highly ranked class that had a ton of kids and a ton of jucos and a ton of busts. He also had a star recruiter with highly questionable methods that luckily didn't get us in trouble.

I am strongly in favor of giving this staff more resources for recruiting though, starting with more, and better paid recruiting staffers as well as better access to private airplanes.

Callahan recruited based on what the services told him. Bo recruits kids that fit his system.

Yup. Cally also got a lot of hype from his buddy Tom Lemming, seemingly for doing him a favor by signing panico. OK, now I'm not even sure I can still see the original topic from here.

Pumped to have this kid pick us so late. Looks perfect for our spread attack and should have plenty of room to run with the lineman coming in his class.

Yup. Cally also got a lot of hype from his buddy Tom Lemming, seemingly for doing him a favor by signing panico. OK, now I'm not even sure I can still see the original topic from here.

Pumped to have this kid pick us so late. Looks perfect for our spread attack and should have plenty of room to run with the lineman coming in his class.

I think our class is better than its rating