Braylon Heard Transferring...

He was gonna be a utility type guy. A way to get him on the field. He doesnt want to. He wants to be a running back. He's going to transfer to a lower-tier program where he can be that guy. So be it. It is what it is. Call me crazy, stupid, whatever. I never saw out of Heard what most proclaim. Abdullah is the better back. It's not even close. Cross brings more to the table from a power standpoint. Sure he averaged 7 ypc, but that just doesnt mean anything to me. Like I said in another post, Jay Sims was 5th on the RB depth chart in '95, and averaged 9 yards per carry. Highest of any back or qb. Supposedly he had issues with pass blocking. Supposedly he had injury problems. Regardless, we're fine with Ameer and Imani. "What happens if Ameer goes down?" Last year this time when Green left, it was "What happens if Rex goes down?". Well, we were fine. We would be fine again. There's plenty in the stable.

Runningback is the least of my worries. I'm more concerned about our interior lines and qb. What happens if Taylor goes down? That's a scary thought.

If you're worried about Taylor going down, I would worry about the individual who is protecting his blindside. Offensive tackle is an area of need for Nebraska. Hopefully they are able to reel in some actual tackles and not guards the coaches try to convert (unsuccessfully, I might add) into tackles.

For the people who keep saying Braylon wasn't needed at receiver no one is arguing against that. Look at it like this. We are in the diamond formation with Ameer, Janovich and Braylon. If the defense keeps an extra linebacker on the field we motion Braylon out into the slot to give Braylon a good mismach on the LB. If they stay in the nickel with 5 dbs then we hammer em with the ground game, and Braylon will get a lot of those carries. Granted this is an over simplification because I don't know my X's and O's like some, but the idea is that we want him on the field more, not less. They were not going to have him competing to get on the field at wideout in 3 WR sets.

Oh and by putting "one of" in quotes doesn't have the desired effect you think it does.

I thought you used quotes to quote people? In this case he was quoting himself. So it does have the desired effect.

WTF? And no it doesn't have the desired effect! "One of" is vague and open to interpretation! He said it like it carried more importance than it deserves and the stats bear that out!

I put "one of" in quotes because that is what I actually said. When you responded to me you began by saying... "Most prolific". I never said "most prolific", I said "one of the most prolific"... that was the "desired effect" of my quotes. Bottom line for me, Nebraska was not (and is not) hurting for players at the skill positions. The Huskers are returning a large portion (QB, RB's, and WR's) from last years offense that was already a top 30 offense; of which, Heard was a small part.

This kind of back and forth is why I usually read and not post on this blog.

Oh and by putting "one of" in quotes doesn't have the desired effect you think it does.

I thought you used quotes to quote people? In this case he was quoting himself. So it does have the desired effect.

WTF? And no it doesn't have the desired effect! "One of" is vague and open to interpretation! He said it like it carried more importance than it deserves and the stats bear that out!

I put "one of" in quotes because that is what I actually said. When you responded to me you began by saying... "Most prolific". I never said "most prolific", I said "one of the most prolific"... that was the "desired effect" of my quotes. Bottom line for me, Nebraska was not (and is not) hurting for players at the skill positions. The Huskers are returning a large portion (QB, RB's, and WR's) from last years offense that was already a top 30 offense; of which, Heard was a small part.

I dont want this to be an argument over grammar. It's a disagreement about how good we think our offense was! Being 26th in total offense and 28th in scoring offense along with being 40th in 3rd down conversion percentage, doesn't make my "one if the most prolific offenses in the nation" list. You put those numbers in yours, that's fine. I would put us in that upper echelon if we fell in the top 10-15 nationally. Then you factor in our propensity to turn the ball over and I think it strengthens my argument that much more.

I dont want this to be an argument over grammar. It's a disagreement about how good we think our offense was! Being 26th in total offense and 28th in scoring offense along with being 40th in 3rd down conversion percentage, doesn't make my "one if the most prolific offenses in the nation" list. You put those numbers in yours, that's fine. I would put us in that upper echelon if we fell in the top 10-15 nationally. Then you factor in our propensity to turn the ball over and I think it strengthens my argument that much more.

don't forget 105th in sacks allowed, 98th in tackles for loss allowed, 124th in fumbles lost, 3 pick 6's (25% of our interceptions), 52nd in redzone TD conversion (62%)...

I think that we were multiple and came back a few times overshadowed some serious deficiencies on offense. Now I'll agree that it's only year two in Becks offense and we've shown considerable improvement but to be considered one of the more prolific Os in the nation is short sighted.

And back to the the Braylon thing, I agree with you HuskerJoe, we should be fine without him. You never want to lose players with that much talent. I've said in this thread or another that his fluid running style reminds me of Ken Griffey Jrs swing. Shoulda gotten in more but if it was a hamstring, I understand the caution! I hurt my hamstring before the start of my junior year. Decided to play on it so it never fully healed and I wasn't back to full strength until the following summer. Still, if he had a hamstring injury and looked that good, imagine him completely healthy.

Being an old Marine recruiter, I wonder what the attrition rates are for top programs. Losing an athlete/recruit is costly in many ways. The expense of bringing that individual in to the program/service, the maintenance period prior to arriving on campus/recruit depot, the actual, feeding, housing and guidance through practice/basic training is staggering. The Marine Corps 20 some years ago stated the cost of one lost recruit from basic training was over 150,000 dollars. I would imagine that it is much more for the Nebraska football recruit.

I think Bo has done a better than average job of keeping what he has recruited, he has near an 8% attrition rate. In honesty that would be an acceptable rate for a Marine Recruiter, goal always being less than 1%.

The worst part of attrition, is that every person the lost player/recruit comes in contact with gets the story. Bad or good that news travels and it travels fast. Not only by the individual, but the parents, the friends and people that they had close relationships with, IE coaches.

We seem to lose the 4 star kids more than others. I wonder if their own opinion of themselves is higher than their work ethic, desire to compete and finish. Failure to communicate is a main reason for failure. Knowing the military, everyone is exactly the same, same clothes, same hair cuts, all the same needs (regulated) it is a tough job, to graduate a platoon without losses. I can imagine how hard it is do get a class through to graduation for a football coach.

The military has/had a rule, that if you were dropped from another service during basic training due to attitude/mental or physical performance/moral actions/quitting, refusing to do what ordered, you could not be recrutied by another service. Thinking being that if you can not do it one place, doubtful you could another. In our past departures we have seen that. So in my humble opinion the ones that leave for greener pastures have problems deeper than what we hear or see. It is not looking for another opportunity, it is looking for an easier way out, on the field. I also wonder howmany of these guys that actually transfer, play and make it to the NFL. Penn State players left out of this question.

I think Bo is doing a pretty good job keeping the kids is the bottom line. Next man up!

• Fire 7
Being an old Marine recruiter, I wonder what the attrition rates are for top programs. Losing an athlete/recruit is costly in many ways. The expense of bringing that individual in to the program/service, the maintenance period prior to arriving on 7campus/recruit depot, the actual, feeding, housing and guidance through practice/basic training is staggering. The Marine Corps 20 some years ago stated the cost of one lost recruit from basic training was over 150,000 dollars. I would imagine that it is much more for the Nebraska football recruit.

I think Bo has done a better than average job of keeping what he has recruited, he has near an 8% attrition rate. In honesty that would be an acceptable rate for a Marine Recruiter, goal always being less than 1%.

The worst part of attrition, is that every person the lost player/recruit comes in contact with gets the story. Bad or good that news travels and it travels fast. Not only by the individual, but the parents, the friends and people that they had close relationships with, IE coaches.

We seem to lose the 4 star kids more than others. I wonder if their own opinion of themselves is higher than their work ethic, desire to compete and finish. Failure to communicate is a main reason for failure. Knowing the military, everyone is exactly the same, same clothes, same hair cuts, all the same needs (regulated) it is a tough job, to graduate a platoon without losses. I can imagine how hard it is do get a class through to graduation for a football coach.

The military has/had a rule, that if you were dropped from another service during basic training due to attitude/mental or physical performance/moral actions/quitting, refusing to do what ordered, you could not be recrutied by another service. Thinking being that if you can not do it one place, doubtful you could another. In our past departures we have seen that. So in my humble opinion the ones that leave for greener pastures have problems deeper than what we hear or see. It is not looking for another opportunity, it is looking for an easier way out, on the field. I also wonder howmany of these guys that actually transfer, play and make it to the NFL. Penn State players left out of this question.

I think Bo is doing a pretty good job keeping the kids is the bottom line. Next man up!

Absolutely great post!

Being an old Marine recruiter, I wonder what the attrition rates are for top programs. Losing an athlete/recruit is costly in many ways. The expense of bringing that individual in to the program/service, the maintenance period prior to arriving on campus/recruit depot, the actual, feeding, housing and guidance through practice/basic training is staggering. The Marine Corps 20 some years ago stated the cost of one lost recruit from basic training was over 150,000 dollars. I would imagine that it is much more for the Nebraska football recruit.

I like this.

Semper Fi, brother.

Being an old Marine recruiter, I wonder what the attrition rates are for top programs. Losing an athlete/recruit is costly in many ways. The expense of bringing that individual in to the program/service, the maintenance period prior to arriving on 7campus/recruit depot, the actual, feeding, housing and guidance through practice/basic training is staggering. The Marine Corps 20 some years ago stated the cost of one lost recruit from basic training was over 150,000 dollars. I would imagine that it is much more for the Nebraska football recruit.

Absolutely great post!

I concur. From someone with opinions on both sides of the fence, this was a very enlightening perspective.

I'd doubt it. Unlike the US government our players are not wiping their a$$es with $100 rolls of toilet paper.

Interesting article Braylon should take note of:

According to the NFL Players Association, the average career of an NFL tailback lasts 2.57 years. The more pounding a player takes for free (in high school) or for a scholarship (in college), the less he can take for big money in the NFL. Because backs absorb the hardest hits whether they're carrying or blocking, they are the most at risk to suffer a career-ending injury on a given play. That has made tailback the most expendable position in the NFL, and it has forced Saban and other coaches to change how they use and recruit tailbacks. If high school tailbacks are smart, it should change how they choose a college program. The schools that can divide the workload should have the advantage.

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2Ja5Vj79m

• Fire 2

Interesting article Braylon should take note of:

According to the NFL Players Association, the average career of an NFL tailback lasts 2.57 years. The more pounding a player takes for free (in high school) or for a scholarship (in college), the less he can take for big money in the NFL. Because backs absorb the hardest hits whether they're carrying or blocking, they are the most at risk to suffer a career-ending injury on a given play. That has made tailback the most expendable position in the NFL, and it has forced Saban and other coaches to change how they use and recruit tailbacks. If high school tailbacks are smart, it should change how they choose a college program. The schools that can divide the workload should have the advantage.

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2Ja5Vj79m

Interesting article Ameer should take note of.